Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just learned how to do a stoppie yesterday and have to say...wow there addicting...probably the most ive gone is about 10 feet....just thought id share....got scared once cause i thought i was gonna flip it haha

·
Registered
62 Posts
what's the difference between a stoppie and an endo... i thought if you rode it out for more than a few feet than it's called an endo... anyways, i can do pretty decent stoppies and the lights and stop signs but have been a little reserved about trying to ride them out. I only seem to do it just as I'm coming to a stop and then jamming on the brake and it comes up and then right back down. Sometimes it comes up pretty high and scares me and other times it only comes up a little bit. I'm starting to get a much better feel for getting the rear end up a little higher but I'm still a little nervous about messing up my bike. I can't decide if I want to go any further with these wheelies and stoppies because yes they are very addicting, debating getting a second bike for the sold purpose of beating the shit out of it and trying to keep it on one. Maybe i should just by a uni-cycle instead.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To my knowledge an endo is just when you come up to a stop light or whatever and jam your front brakes on and the rear lifts up while you are completely stopped....a stoppie is when you ride on your front wheel for a distance

·
Registered
329 Posts
the terms stoppie and endo are the same thing, some people say one, some say the other, a while back people would say rolling stoppie or rolling endo, but now i think its assumed that its rolling because the sport has progressed, but theres no technical dif that i know of. BTw slamming the brakes stoppies easier to flip than rolling, cause when youre rolling if you start to go over you can ease of the brake and save it, but once youve lost momentum you lose that safety check. just start going about 30 and apply more and more brake until you get comfortavble coming up!!

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Its one of those odd things. Rolling stoppies are easier to do once you got your technique down, but static stoppies are easier to learn.
Just make sure your front tire is nice and warm before you start. Go down the block while holding the front brake a tad. Make sure the road you are practicing is even. The based pavement in my book is of the grey, kind of rough variety.

Oh yeah, should you lock up the front tire with the rear in the air, its up to god wether you fall or not. Not much you can do to save em, just a matter of luck.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When doing a stoppie should i start the habbit or putting on the back brake to stop the back tire from spinning or is htat just people preference who dont like to hear the nice smack of there bike coming back to earth

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
As far as I know the snapping sound isnt hurting anything.

Ok maybe your chain, but not nearly as much as wheelies do.. Up to you...

As far as I know the only thing stoppies hurt is your front tire life.. unless you mess them up...

Hey SuperSquid what are your views on this?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'd imagine they burn up your brakes pretty good as well.. i can't believe some of you think it's easier to learn rolling rather than static... then again i've never tried rolling. Anyone wanna give a step by step and some more pointers?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah i think its easier learning rolling ones....just ride with your body centered on your bike get to the speed at which you want to start trying them lets say 10 mph....apply your brakes so your forks compress and once you feel the front end start to dip give another harder grab of the brakes while sliding or shifting your body weight towards the gas tank. and remember to squeez tight against the tank with your legs as you start to go up.....oh yeah and as for brakes....as far as i know the only real "stress" your putting on them is the initial braking to get the rear end up after that your not really squeezing very hard on the brakes cause you dont want to flip over..you just want to play with the brakes just enough to keep the back end off the ground and not go over fhe front.

·
Registered
62 Posts
going to bike night at hooter's tonight... i'll have to give it a go and see what happens, hopefully I'll still have my nose and teeth tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Static is easier to learn. But once you learn rolling, its much easier to do. In fact you cant help but roll them a little bit.
As for step by step
1. Find a good practice spot. Needs to have good even pavement, that isnt bumpy, or too slick. must be gravel free. Preferably somewhere the cops wont bother you.
2. Wear all your gear. If you can bring a friend with a cage and a camera along.
3. Warm up your front tire by riding around and dragging your brake a tad.
4. Get going about 20-30. Give about 50% brake untill you feel the weight transfer forward (bout 1/4-1/2 second) then start increasing pressure.

you should start by just making quick stops. Just stop quicker and quicker, and you will have the rear wheel in the air before you know it. The sound of the chain snapping is a sure sign that you did lift the rear wheel in the air.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Wow, I slacked on this one. My bad guys. Stoppies/endos. Same thing. Endo is the "old school" term. Same trick though. The "slapping" sound you hear is the chain smacking itself/the swingarm. No, do NOT hit the rear brake. It causes the rear to come up faster. Inertia and all the fun shit. Makes for a nice quick loop. Might effect you, might not. But don't risk it.

Tire pressure plays a huge roll in all stunting. Especially stoppies. Just like wheelies, the more surface contact you have, the more stable and successfull you'll be. I say drop it about 5 psi for learning. More once you get the hang of it. I'll see if I can't give a diecent stoppie recipe.... for the beginner.

Totally new to stoppies...

1. find a nice open lot somewhere. Doesn't even have to be big. Get permission to be there, or make sure that nobody knows you're there. Preferably grayish macadem. The dark smooth fresh paved lots often seem ideal, but actually can be very oily. and suck for grip on hot days!

2. Have a friend with a truck come with you, and bring a broom and a video camera. (the truck is in case you ball up the bike, the camera is for catching your loop on film so you can laugh about it later, or so you can judge how high you are, and the broom is for sweeping.)

3. Sweep all the dust, dirt, gravel, glass, snot, and whatever else might happen to be on the road far away from your practice area.

4. Cruise around the lot for a bit. just getting a feel for it. Keep grabbin handfulls of front brake and see how it reacts. Don't actually try to stoppie yet. Make sure the bike and tire are good and warmed up.

5. Now the fun... Make sure you have your body positioning correct. This plays a major roll in the bike comming up straight or even at all for that matter. Sit with your back straight, your knees squeezed tight against the tank. look foreward, not at the front tire, and lock out your elbows.

6. get goin about 10-15 mph. pull in the clutch load up the forks (slightly squeeze the front brake so that the weight shifts forward) then squeeze them in all the way. Just as you squeeze the brakes in lift your butt off the seat a bit lunging your weight even more onto the front. The back should come up. Maybe not real high, but thats fine. You're not goin fast and you're still learning. if the front locks up on you, just let go of the brakes. too easy. You won't be goin fast enough for it to cause you to go down... hopefully.

7. More than likely, you won't be rolling them doing this. thats fine. You don't want to. You need to get used to the sensation of the bike comming up first. Keep doing it this way until you can get it to come up every time. You could just be screeching to a halt and having the ass end come flyin up. No biggie. Pay attention to how much brake you're giving it to make the rear come up. This is what you'll need to do when rolling it out. Continue practicing "pop-a-stoppies" until you can do it every time, and you get that "floating" feeling when you do it. You should be able to get the bike to almost stop in the air for a second before it falls back down. This is balance point... almost. But pretty damn close. Thats the feeling you'll be looking for when rolling them out.

From here, we transgress to slightly skilled stoppies and rolling them out...

1. Same exact steps as before (1-5)

2. Get going 25-30, all positioned properly, and use the same technique that you mastered with your "pop-a-stoppies". The only difference is, this time, you should get to that "floating" position with some momentum left. When this happens, let off the front brake a bit. So that it's still slightly engaged, but you're not squeezing nearly as hard. This will keep the ass in the air, but you'll be rolling. start slow and easy. 5-10 feet. Catch your breath after doing it for the first time. Maybe even walk off the gitters. Cause it's gonna shake you up. It's an awesome feeling!

3. Continue from there. Once you're getting that floating feeling every time, and you're rollin it out. Add more speed. And roll it farther. Keeping adding speed until you're rollin out massive stoppies. Remember, you might have to change your technique a bit as you add more speed. More speed = harder brake and more weight shift to get the tire up. BUT, it will also make the ass end come up faster too. Take it slow and easy. Learn slower, live longer!

Now... Before attempting to roll out any rediculous stoppies. I suggest a stabalizer/damper of some sort. You WILL need it. Headshake happens a lot when trying higher speed stoppies.

Also, stainless lines help a lot with brake fade. No, different pads won't help. OEM pads are best. But def braided lines.

If you can get your photographer friend to stand in front of you while you're doin your stoppies, you'll be able to tell whether or not you're REALLY at balance point. When he takes a picture or video tapes, you should be able to see the tail above your head. That is balance point. You won't have to squeeze the brakes hardly at all. Sometimes when I do them I'm off the brakes completely. Actually, this has me wondering. I'm gonna go rip some out and see how far I can roll them. I'll post up the results in a bit. If anyone has questions or comments, feel free to throw them out. I'll do my best to help. Good luck and be safe!!

~ the super :squid:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
You had me up untill the Pads thing. EBC HH Provide an assholad more grip. So why wont they help stoppies?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I didnt read the whole thread, so forgive me if this was stated before.

ENDO is short for END OVER END. This is NOT another word for stoppie.

A stoppie becomes an endo when you go over the handlebars.

This is NOT an old school term for stoppie... This is an oldschool term for comming up with a face full of dirt.

I have heard WAY too many people use the term ENDO in place of Stoppie. I was hoping it was just the area I moved to, but I see now that I was wrong.

Guys... please... correct your fellow riders when they misuse words like this. :(

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I dont care what you call them, they still look bad ass...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I gave it another go last night and still can't seem to get the hang of the rolling stoppies. I can do the static ones pretty decent and feel like now and then i'm getting nearly a second or more hang time but when i try the rolling version i do it as you said, 25-30 mph, compress the forks, then try to lift it but it seems like I'm just coming to a really fast stop. I've only been working on it for a few days and it already is starting to feel like I may need new pads cuz the brakes are starting to feel a little funny - as if I have to squeeze the front in farther to get the same amount of stopping power I got from not squeezing so hard a few days ago. Maybe I'm just finally breaking the damn things in right who knows :eek: I'm going down to florida in a few days and although i'll be riding some buddie's bikes I sure am gonna miss mine.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Dont get into too much of a hurry... do statics for a while, The rolling will come to you. No need to rush it and break your bike.

After all a few days ago you couldnt do stoppies at all, so this is progress, right?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yeah dont hurry, it took me a whole summer off constant practice to get down like a 50 foot endo/stoppie/ whatever. As far as what there called it just depends in my opinion. I was into freestyle/bmx as a kid and have been calling them endos ever since, or chinese wheelies is what we also used to call them. I can understand that originally endo might have been refered to as flipping it but now its a common term for a stoppie, whether rolling or not, different peoople=different terms= same thing!! Dont worry about the term, just practice and let the spectators worry about that!!!

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
jab said:
I can understand that originally endo might have been refered to as flipping it but now its a common term for a stoppie, whether rolling or not, different peoople=different terms= same thing!!

Oh wow, I see it now. it doesnt matter what things are called anymore. what a great idea everyone!!!

From now on... I will refer to Posting as ass fking. It will be ok though, cause it will mean the same thing!!

:thumb:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts