Sportbike World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll save space and just say I was about 50 miles from home today when I discovered that I was leaking oil at a rapid pace from "somewhere on the bottom of the engine". With all the body panels in place I couldn't exactly see where the leak was coming from.

I did a stupid thing and after checking the oil level thru the sightglass (it was still almost at the "upper limit mark") and decided to ride it home instead of paying $150 for a flatbed.

Got home and took the left side panels off and found the six o'clock position bolt on the clutch cover to be leaking oil. A whole lot of oil. No biggie though, I'll just break out the trusty socket set and....hey, this bolt is tight. Nah, gotta be loose, I'll just turn harder and...hey, this bolt is tight; as were the other eight of them. The oil is obiously leaking from the gasket at the six o'clock position.

The bike is three years old. Original gasket. Also, about 2 months ago when I had the oil changed, I switched to 20W-50 instead of the usual 10W-40. This was per one of the mechanics at the dealer. The owner's manual has the usual "bar chart" showing that depending on the ambient air temps you can use different types of oil. The bike actually seemed to run just a hair smoother w/the new oil. 20W has the consistency of water, as opposed to "oil".

What gives here? Is the gasket just old? Could the thinner oil have anything to do with it? No, the bike hasn't been dropped. So that's not an issue. I wanted to ride tomorrow. :mad: Darn. Any opinions? Thanks. Ride safe. BTW, riding home w/oil spraying onto your rear tire is scary. And extremely stupid. Kids, don't try this at home.

------------------
Cosmo
"Do you know how fast you were going, son?" "Gee officer, if I guess right, can I go home?"

S

·
0 Posts
Hey Cosmo,

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It does sound pretty normal (a little premature though) considering the bike is air/oil cooled, More stress on the engine you know.
BTW Did you add anything too the oil ?? Oil Additives ? Do you drive in traffic a lot ?
Do you drive hard ? Also the kat is a cheap bike so you can't expect the parts to be of supreme quality, they cut corners somewhere.

Just my theory(s) :)

------------------
Whatever that little sheep said is a damn lie !!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, well, ok. Thanks. One of the mechs at a local dealer said the same thing about the gasket; that it's old and not to worry. The bike did sit for over a year (!) on the showroom floor before I purchased it. It was "dry" the whole time. No oil, gas or battery. The gasket has probably gotten old and brittle and just started to leak. i do beat the living hell out of the bike though. It gets all of it's maintenance at the scheduled mileages at the dealer. I'm replacing the gasket/oil/filter tonite. We'll see what happens.

------------------
Cosmo
"Do you know how fast you were going, son?" "Gee officer, if I guess right, can I go home?"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts