Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I'm thinking of getting a new bike and like everyone else I'm am looking for high tech and low price (please no you get what you paid for responses). I found a '99 Laverda 750 Strike locally and am thinking of buying it but do not know a lot about the breed. Mainly I want to know about basic maintenance like is it more to maintain than a Ducati as in valve adjustments and all that good stuff. Its actually on Ebay, take a look http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=595399263&r=0&t=0&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebaylargephotohosting

If the link doesn't work then go to ebaymotors.com then motorcycles(duh) than other makes.

Pro's
- Unique
- Fuel Injection
- Fully Adjustable Suspension
- Powerful but not overpowering
- Pretty inexpensive initial investment

Con's
- Too Unique
- Anyone heard from this company since Aprilia bought them?
- its Italian, what do replacement parts cost?
- Aftermarket parts? but than again, the stock parts are better than most aftermarket

Please get back to me ASAP if you know anything about Laverdas, I am planning on picking it up this weekend if everything goes fine at the bank tomorrow.

Thanks in advance,
Tony

·
Registered
503 Posts
:D

actually.. i dont know much about that bike.. & i couldnt find much either.. from what i read owners are happy w/it.. a few love it & think its the best bike on earth. the only complaint i found was that the rear brake was spongy.. but still effective.

its about on par power wise w/a duc 900ss.. but the 748 put up bigger numbers.

as far as maint costs & the like i couldnt find any figures.. maybe someone else here can help us out a bit?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Laverda Strike

Un-faired roadster isa a rival to the Ducati Monster.
747cc, 2cyl, 8 valve.
82bhp @ 8250 rpm (manufactures claim)
Est. top speed 134 mph.

Only really popular over in Italy, most sales are for the "S" or "Formula". The engine started out in the Montjuic 500, so it's fairly old tech. Sweet handling but some dubious build quality so check it over.
As for servicing, it's fairly straight forward but spares might be difficult unless there is a dealer near or your happier to order stuff over the net.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the great replies, I am going to be taking a lot and possibly purchasing the bike tomorrow. The seller closed the auction so I don't have to worry about someone else purchasing the bike. I can't wait to see what it looks like and see all the parts it has that are so trick. Later all

1 - 5 of 5 Posts