Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, many of you northern/midwestern folks have packed up the bike, but since I just got mine back together, I've been praying for warmer weather. And I thought today was it, so I rode into work...............

and my fingers nearly fell off. The ride home at 9p will be as tough, I suspect, though I'm praying for wind that goes WITH me this time. At least the new pants are really keeping the lower half warm. But I think this'll be it for the season for me :(

I hate admitting defeat.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Am I crazy or am I just new?

Today it was almost 55F. I waited until the rain quit from the morning and pulled the tarp off the bike. I set the choke 'cause she was a little cold and suited up while I waited. I admit it was a bit cold, but layered and got out there. Rode around my favorite curvy and rolling roads for a couple hours and pointed her back home. I took over the "at home" on the kid care issues, and my wife hit the road for a couple hours. If I'm crazy, at least I have company.

The forcast here calls for at least a day or two more clear and cool, after that I think I'll pull it in for the season. I'll keep you posted on my insanity.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Nah you're not crazy, we're just full of pansy's(kanwisch) around here. I still putt around when it warms up. I won't put mine away till the first snow:cool:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yup I still got mine running. Gonna be up to the low 50's this weekend so if the rain holds off I hope to get a ride in. I'm probably not going to put it away for another couple weeks. When its 15 degrees in january i know i'd be kicking myself for not stretching the season as long as I could.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tippmann said:
Nah you're not crazy, we're just full of pansy's(kanwisch) around here. I still putt around when it warms up. I won't put mine away till the first snow:cool:
Tippy, when you're right, you're right; I am a pansy :eek:

Just not this time. I commute on my bike at 6am and 9pm each day. So, while it might be 55F at 2p, its more like 32F at 6a, and then I'm traveling 65mph roughly the entire 100 miles. When you feel a wind chill below freezing at that speed, you'll think twice about doing it again.

And I used to love winter, but now that I love motorcycling, I'm beginning to doubt my seasonal preferences.:crying:

·
Registered
159 Posts
kanwisch said:
Tippy, when you're right, you're right; I am a pansy :eek:

Just not this time. I commute on my bike at 6am and 9pm each day. So, while it might be 55F at 2p, its more like 32F at 6a, and then I'm traveling 65mph roughly the entire 100 miles. When you feel a wind chill below freezing at that speed, you'll think twice about doing it again.

And I used to love winter, but now that I love motorcycling, I'm beginning to doubt my seasonal preferences.:crying:
Hey, I respect that myself. I wouldn't ride below mid 40s myself. I know from riding yesterday that 55 MPH and 55F equals numb hands in very short order. And funny how you need your hands for this paticular task. I think if this wasn't just a play bike I'd have put it away already myself.

Cheers. :thumb:

·
Registered
293 Posts
I think round here supposed to be nice this weekend, so I know I'm gonna try to get out there for a bit. I don't know if I'll put mine up all the way or not. She might be inside a warm home for the winter, or hell if the snow isn't anything this year, ride her year round.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Supposed to be 60 and sunny this weekend in NY.....HEATWAVE!!! I'm riding!

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i think i may have had my last ride for the year. this past weekend a friend and i went to tpm's vir dates on sunday and monday. we were gonna ride to nc on saturday, but rain and my friend's brand new monster s4r changed those plans.

so my last ride actually turned out to be pretty fun. i rode the soouth course in the rain in the morning. by afternoon it was cold so i sat out. then monday was the north course. i rode alright in the morning. bumped down a group to find people to ride with and started moving better in the red group. damn near high sided myself. i saved it, stopped at a cornerworker station and that looks to be how my season will end.

i drained the water from my bike at a gas station in southern virginia (drained into a catch pan echo-fans and will be disposed of properly, dogs and kids are safe) and filled it with anti-freeze and mixed it through the bike, so it's done.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Temperatures in 50s or 40s were good enough for me to go out & put in a steady 3 to 6 hr runs, but when it was next to freezing or below it & no signs of anything but colder weather & rain or snow THEN I know when to call it quits.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Smitty said:
Temperatures in 50s or 40s were good enough for me to go out & put in a steady 3 to 6 hr runs, but when it was next to freezing or below it & no signs of anything but colder weather & rain or snow THEN I know when to call it quits.
Ah! That's because you're nerve endings are dead :twofinger

·
Registered
38 Posts
a few years back I bought a set of those insulated coveralls. They are like 40 dollars at wallmart. Add a riding jacket to help with the wind and I'm set.
They work great. I ride all year round as long as there is no snow or ice.

I don't go for extended rides or anything but with no races on the tv...I need to get my fix. Even if it's only for a 1/2 hour.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I tell you what. If I had a bike I would be rideing it today its like a spring day here today in NY supposed to be about 60 degrees out.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Good thing everyone put their bikes away, its only 60 here today in PA. Well, gotta go:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts