Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rolleyes:
I think its legal here in WA, however you must use your blinker when crossing the turtles.(according to a friend of mine thats a cop)Here in WA the cagers get their roadrage up when you do this,In CA it seems to be acceptable what about other states and cops PLEASE chime in.:)

One time a cager bumped me on purpose and :twofinger at the same time, I parked it and went to his window and asked him what the hell he thought he was doing, "just being rude like you,want me to get out of my car and show you more?"I just told him I was wearing protective gear and a helmit,your not,so bring it. He apologized.:cool:

·
Registered
458 Posts
wedge said:
I parked it and went to his window and asked him what the hell he thought he was doing, "just being rude like you,want me to get out of my car and show you more?"I just told him I was wearing protective gear and a helmit,your not,so bring it. He apologized.:cool:
Haha... thats great.

Kyle

·
Registered
256 Posts
According to the CA 1999 Motorcycle Driver Handbook "Sharing lanes is not illegal in CA. However, in many driving situations, it can be unsafe to share a lane with another vehicle. In the interest of motorcycle safety, vehicle drivers should not share lanes with motorcycles and motorcycle riders should not share lanes with vehicles." (Don't know if anything has changed since '99, but I doubt it.)

The handbook goes on to tell how to *avoid* sharing lanes. Don't ride between rows of slow moving vehicles. Don't try to squeeze past a stopped car in the same lane. Ride in the center of your lane to discourage other drivers from trying to share your lane.

Somewhat schizophrenic? I've never heard of anyone being cited for this unless they were being totally outrageous and got cited for reckless driving or similar.

·
Registered
20 Posts
lane splitting

Hey Wedge! I don't think lane splitting is legal here in Indiana. I've done it a few times-- to different effects. First time was on my first bike-- '89 Suzuki GS500. Was being chased by 4 redneck assholes in an IROC Z.. guess they didn't like the "college boy on a rice burner!" There were 5 Semi trucks in front of me- 3 in the right lane, 2 in the left-- and I just squirted up the middle! :) I've gone to the head of the line at stoplights a few times.. but I get a lot of "Hey A**hole!!" and "What the f*cks!" yelled at me. The last time I did it was earlier this Spring. Stopped at a red light coming out of the grocery store.. Ford F-150 4x4 in front of me-- no turn signal-- I'm turning right. So I go to the inside and wait for a break in traffic. Surprise!! Dingleberry turns right at the same time and damn near puts me in a drainage ditch--- my own fault for thinking, "well gee.. he's over to the center of the lane, I guess he's just gonna go straight!" Anymore, I figure 'screw it.' I might have to wait in traffic for a couple extra minutes, but I'm not gonna get run over, slammed with an opened door, or shot!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Not sure if itts illegal in Oz...I guess I do it about 3 times a day..most of the cars don't give a shit. Unless of course you rub mirrors:eek:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here in Oklahoma, I got a ticket and had to go to court for lane splitting. The ticket said "illegal use of lane"

Needless to say, the judge tried to fine me $150. So I talked to the prosecutor (who rides too), and he corrected the judge and had the ticket dismissed. The judge even stated (you were right, the police were wrong) ha ha!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well according to the MSF course lane splitting is only legal in CA. I am in AZ and I have done it a couple of times, only when traffic was stopped or it was required for "other reasons".

·
Registered
16 Posts
First, lane splitting is illegal here in Georgia. But, riding in a city with more cars per person than any other in the world puts lane splitting in the realm of survival techniques.

Being at the back of a pack of cars that just went from 90 to 0mph on the interstate is just a bad place to be!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Okay... I'll probably get jumped all over for THIS one. Am I missing something? I'm new pretty much and will be the first to admit I know very little compared to most in here, and feel like I keep a pretty open mind on things. Give me some feedback on why this is a "good" practice please. Not trying to start a war... just truly think I'm missing something.

I always get pretty ticked off when cagers don't treat me with same respect and courtesy as another vehicle, but.... when I see someone doing such things and pissing off the ones on cages, I can see why sometimes they don't like "us".

I use to ride (waaaay back in college) with a buddy that kept a fistfull of ball bearings in his jacket and if a cager tailed him way too close and wouldn't back off, or if someone cut him off close or other various "infractions", he'd just get in front of them (if he wasn't already) and slip his hand in.... and gently toss 'em up and take off..... after witnessing this once.... I no longer rode when he was along. The worst part was he was continually splitting lanes, darting out in front of people, cutting over just missing cars, etc... I didn't understand his single sided vision.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Illegal in NJ

That's not legal here in NJ..you cannot share lanes or "split lanes" in NJ, you can only share a lane with another biker, not a cager..NJ is so damn densely populated with TRAFFIC UP THE A$$ that it's not too good of an idea to lane split anyways..

·
Registered
79 Posts
living here in busyasss sunny socal it is thankfully my right to split lanes if needed to or want to. i probably wouldn't have a bike if splitting lanes were illegal because then you'd just be stuck behind all those cage'n aholes that don't give a f*ck what they're doing. i live by splitting lanes but also do it in a safe manner. no longer splitting lanes at 20 mph faster than the flow of traffic or doing insane lane changes in traffic. nothing better than pulling up to a long line of cars and splitting lanes to get to the front row. i cannot stand driving cages and try no to as often as possible. my bike is my only modes of transpo and wouldn't give it up for a 100k+ cage.

here in cali you have the typical jealous types that if they see you coming they may try to close you out or swerve into you to scare you. but these people only get the wrath which depending on the mood could just by a :finger: or it could be a steel toed boot on the side of the car. perhaps i would take an antenna with me as i pass or just simply knock the shit outta their p.o.c vehicle.

i never go out looking for trouble, but out here there are so many idiots that every day i ride i'm having to take some deep breathes and just get around the idiots or lay low and just let'm think they're cool. sometimes though, you get into one of those moods where you're just so tired of trying not to get killed that sometimes the boots go fly'n or the fist's punch down on the hood as you go by.

for the most part...people here in cali are getting the point and some of'm move over a bit for ya when you go by. those peeps always get a wave of thanks from me for making it a little safer for me and it also lets me know that they see me.

example. just the other day this huge pavement pounding suv gets over for me in the carpool lane and this van in front of him sees him and sees me coming but he scoots closer to the double yellow as i'm approaching. so i wave to the suv guy/gal but get my shoulder ready for the mirror of this van. i slam this dudes mirror and then i get this honk of the horn which in turn gets my :finger: . this fool is honking and honking and i continue on my marry way. low and behold this guy catches up with me and i let him get next to me. we're doing about 10mph and this guy's going nuts. yell'n and scream profanities like no other, and doing this with his mother in the passenger seat. she's get'n into too and yell'n and scream'n so i offer to fix there mirror back to position but he's just yell'n all this crap...being in a full face helmet they can't hear you or tell what you're doing really...so i just waved and blew'm a kiss goodbye.

the mannerism's people have totally blow my mind sometimes. and sometimes people catch me on a bad day...which is more often than not:D sometimes people just need a reality check and i'm just the person to give it to'm.

happy riding to all!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I always get pretty ticked off when cagers don't treat me with same respect and courtesy as another vehicle, but.... when I see someone doing such things and pissing off the ones on cages, I can see why sometimes they don't like "us".
Maybe I too didn't get the point, but I agree with ya Kneedragger, I think doing onto others what you want done to ya is the way to go to make this world a better place. If we start ruffing the edges, we only create more havoc in this Hell we're already living...

I'm not necessarily against it though...If a city advertises it officially as Accepted, then cagers should be aware that it'll happen and there should be marketing programs to enhence public awareness.

But if its not allowed, I tend to feel it'll create Jalousie in the Cagers and might create problems like Shootings and killings like we have had in Montreal, Canada.

I don't mind people who make the choices of doing it where Illegal, that I don't care, your choices, your life, I'm ok with that. But you have to realise that if you do make the choices of doing an Illegal thing, there are consequences. In this case, people WILL get pissed off.

And I say that because Even before I was a rider, I saw people doing it, and It pissed me off because they were not respecting Cagers and did it because they knew they could get away with it. I was a Cager at that time, and It really pissed me off...Now that I ride, I'm not as pissed, but I'm still annoyed if they do it where Illegal. Now that I know what it feels like, I don't want people to feel like that because of me riding my bike. It takes only One stupid ****er who decides to open his door because he was pissed, and you're down...

The less people are pissed, the better it is...At least in my opinion...

I have to say though, that we do not have traffic like you guys in the states. Gladly, I have yet to live the Living Inferno of 3 hours traffic jams...;)

My bits!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Give me some feedback on why this is a "good" practice please. Not trying to start a war... just truly think I'm missing something.
The only reason to split lanes is to make progress in bad traffic. Is it a "good" practice? Depends, I guess. Looks to me like about half of the riders here in northern CA (a different world from SOCAL) split lanes. I do it occasionally to get to the head of a long line of cars at a red light or if traffic has stopped on the freeway and it looks safe for some distance. It figures that CA is the only state where it is legal (but discouraged in the DMV M/C guide). I would bet that half the cage drivers *think* it's illegal. As was said above, some get out of the way if they can and a few get *in* the way if they get pissed. Riders that split lanes to weave between lanes when traffic is moving are just plain foolish. Less than half the cage drivers here signal before changing lanes making it a fun ride in the "target zone".

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just talked to a washington state patrol officer-it is illegal in washington, he was here on a saftey briefing.

that said,when I asked the simple Question you should have seen all the people around get heated up, you'd think I raped and killed their family members-pure jealousy-they couldn't even tell me why it was dangerous to go to the front of the line,or why it was so dangerous to be able to progress in a six lane parking lot. Only how pissed off they were that I was saving gas and getting home on time, one even felt that we were in some kind of sick race and I was winning, so he needed to open his door to somehow 'even' things out.Its too bad we don't have ride share lanes everywhere,not just in high traffic areas, there at least I get the lane.

·
Registered
43 Posts
perfectly normal

Back in Ireland(and England)It is completely normal and acceptable to split lanes and squeeze past cagers, particularly in very slow moving traffic or traffic jams. Most bikers over there wont pass in the middle at speed but it does happen, usually by the young and reckless. The vast majority of cagers have no problem having a biker squeezing past them in traffic(Their attitude is that that is one of the benefits to having a bike) so there is no aggro at all, unlike the states where bikers are held in very low esteem (Regretfully). By the way, whats the deal with sharing lanes, who would share a lane with a cager anyway, thats nuts!!! I ride in Boston (Its nuts out there) and in Dublin, Ireland (Fairly safe despite the gridlock). Safe riding everybody.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was in Paris in late April and if I remember correctly a friend of mine said it was legal to lane split in France. Whether it is or not they all do it there.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Re: perfectly normal

daithi said:
By the way, whats the deal with sharing lanes, who would share a lane with a cager anyway, thats nuts!!!
Don't quote me but I think it was intended to share with another bike not a cager.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts