Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... quick question for all the fellow riders.... how often do you ride between cars... especially in dead traffic... or very slow moving traffec. i do it once in a while.... especially when it gets really hot outside.. and i'm sittin on a 230 degree engine. anyone had any bad experiances while doin this? how much does the cops frown on this?... any info is useful.. thanks guys.

·
Registered
426 Posts
tires tend to pick up foreign objects when lane splitting... and new tires tend to put a nice dent in my wallet. I weave from time to time, but I try not to lane split.

Yes, in most states lane splitting is illegal.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Good post DuckGirl.

I'd like to add a couple things.

I'm also in California. I do split lanes also. But did you know what the speed limit, while splitting lanes is (in Cali)?

35 miles an hour. I'm not a slow poke, but if traffic is 35mph or faster, I will follow traffic (unless there is a mile of empty road in front of the cage I'm behind), and will see bikes flying past me. The way I see it, they will get any cops' attention... thank you very much. :twofinger

Also, in the daytime, I usually ride with my high beams on, so you get a little more attention.

·
Registered
627 Posts
DaDuck748 said:

I'm also in California. I do split lanes also. But did you know what the speed limit, while splitting lanes is (in Cali)?

35 miles an hour.

Also, in the daytime, I usually ride with my high beams on, so you get a little more attention.
When I first purchased my bike I went to the CHP office & asked for clarification on lane splitting & lane sharing. Both are legal in Cali. I was told that the rule of thumb was 10 MPH (or less) faster than the traffic you're riding through when lane splitting. This is assuming the traffic is congested & as was earlier mentioned they don't want you flying through the masses. Lane sharing is considered the same as passing & those rules apply. I like the idea of high beams during the daytime. My intergrator kit makes my brake light flash which draws attention to me better & high beams just make sense for the additional safety.
I've been pulled over even when following these rules & have been successful in avoiding tickets by asserting I knew the rules & was following them. Additionally on one occasion I asked the KC Deputy to call CHP & confirm I was telling the truth. The officer even thanked me afterwards:cool: for enlightening him.
This isn't to say it's a good idea for everyone & the cautions about debris & cagers inability to see us are important factors to consider.

·
Registered
97 Posts
here in phx

It's legal here in Phoenix, but almost everyone frowns on it. In fact, if you ask someone if it's legal, most of them will say it's not, and then look surprised when they find out it is.

People are stupid and sometimes go as far as to completely obstruct your path in order for you not to pass them. It can lead to road rage in a hurry that's for sure. One time a chevy truck completely cut me off and swerved to block the lane, and then proceeded to stare at me. I don't know what people like that think they're going to prove.

I wouldn't recommend doing it with a cop near you. Even if it is legal, cops here will pull you over for just about anything they can. It's not worth trying your luck.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Anybody know if this is still true?

If memory serves (Motorcyclist Magazine/COG list server?), I read/heard a few years back that lane splitting in CA was not illegal, but if you had an accident while doing so, you were at fault.
If true, that sounds about right. I figured it was just another case of the government wanting it both ways: they want you to lane split in order to ease congestion/pollution, etc, but aren't willing to back you up in case you have an accident, no matter who's at fault.
Anybody know what the scoop on this is? If this is the case, ya might wanna rethink lane splitting until your government decides to back you up on it. If it's not (or never has been) true...nevermind...

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I try very hard not to ride next to a car with space in the next lane that they might decide to switch over to. As long as two cars are next to each other I feel pretty safe passing between them.

As far as speed differential, I feel pretty confident that I can react in time with brakes covered and 100% concentration so I feel okay up to 20mph faster than the cars and maybe 45 mph overall. I feel better moving past them briskly so that I spend less time in their blind spots.

Keep the revs where you can make some power but try not to blast them with insane dB's.

I'm gonna die when I move back to states without legal lane splitting. I doubt very seriously if I'd do it much if it were illegal but we'll have to see. The hardest thing to give up is splitting to the front of the line at red lights. That is just pure heaven when trying to get somewhere in town in midday traffic.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Re: Anybody know if this is still true?

basicblur said:
If memory serves (Motorcyclist Magazine/COG list server?), I read/heard a few years back that lane splitting in CA was not illegal, but if you had an accident while doing so, you were at fault.
If true, that sounds about right. I figured it was just another case of the government wanting it both ways: they want you to lane split in order to ease congestion/pollution, etc, but aren't willing to back you up in case you have an accident, no matter who's at fault.
Anybody know what the scoop on this is? If this is the case, ya might wanna rethink lane splitting until your government decides to back you up on it. If it's not (or never has been) true...nevermind...
That's exactly what I was told when I went to the CHP for clarification. The exception being if a cager deliberately does something to cause the collision which I found happens more in LA traffic than here in small town Bakersfield. If you can show the car was @ fault by deliberate action (need a witness) then they would be charged with assault with a deadly weapon.

·
Registered
627 Posts
apexismaximus said:
I try very hard not to ride next to a car with space in the next lane that they might decide to switch over to. As long as two cars are next to each other I feel pretty safe passing between them.

As far as speed differential, I feel pretty confident that I can react in time with brakes covered and 100% concentration so I feel okay up to 20mph faster than the cars and maybe 45 mph overall. I feel better moving past them briskly so that I spend less time in their blind spots.

Keep the revs where you can make some power but try not to blast them with insane dB's.

I'm gonna die when I move back to states without legal lane splitting. I doubt very seriously if I'd do it much if it were illegal but we'll have to see. The hardest thing to give up is splitting to the front of the line at red lights. That is just pure heaven when trying to get somewhere in town in midday traffic.

I too would rather move past them quickly & feel pretty confident @ most times that I can react to most things. Although I try to follow the law in real congested traffic it's hard to creep by someone & more often than not I squirt by as quick as I can.

I get real paranoid @ the back of a traffic line. I was injured badly years ago when a Town car smacked me from behind. I really don't remember too much about the accident but I sure remember the hospital part & to this day I have problems with my spine which required 2 return trips to the OR for fusion of C4-C5, C5-C6, C6-C7. So if I come across as stiff necked I've a Doctor's excuse :D Even if they changed the law I'm going to the front.

Have others experienced the problem of moving to the front of the traffic line only to have the idiot next to you get upset & try to race you or start honking, yelling or some other manifestation of their discontent? There is one stoplight in town on the way to work that I turn left @ with 2 turn lanes. I don't know how many times the car next to me starts to creep up into the crosswalk in order to try & get the jump on me. I usually just shake my head @ the futility of this & blast off when the light turns green.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Ducati748Girl said:

If the driver next to me seems like a nice person, I'll kill my bike so they don't have to smell/listen to my loud exhaust. But if they're kind of smug, I leave him running. And if they try to say something, I just keep my mirrored visor down and look straight ahead while I blip the throttle a couple of times to drown them out.
:twofinger
Thats the best thing to do, just look ahead and ignore them. Pissing off a guy in a car isn't something i want to do when im on a bike. It only takes one road-rager to take you down.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I've never had anyone even take notice of me at the front of a red light line. I suppose that if someone gets real hostile though there is always the option of getting out fast or one that some may not have thought of is to let them go first. If they turn their wheels toward you or act like they plan to do something just let them go first and fall into the next convienient hole in traffic. There's no rule that says you have to be first to the other side of the intersection (although I always am:D ).

Also agree, if they start to freak, act like you never knew they were pissed and that you never noticed noticed them. They're far less likely to attack you if you appear as if you never saw them getting pissed. Recognising them and then not doing whatever they feel is correct in the situation will only fuel their irrational anger.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Ducati748Girl said:

I can't tell you how many car drivers think they can beat me off the line... Porsches and Yugos alike! I don't care what you have, the power:weight ratio is simply not in your favor. However, the day an F1 pulls up next to me I'll simply get off my bike and walk away without even putting the kickstand down. :eek:

If the driver next to me seems like a nice person, I'll kill my bike so they don't have to smell/listen to my loud exhaust. But if they're kind of smug, I leave him running. And if they try to say something, I just keep my mirrored visor down and look straight ahead while I blip the throttle a couple of times to drown them out.
:twofinger
You should still be able to take the F1 0-60. I'm pretty sure the F1 is a 3.1 or 3.4 sec car, and I'm not sure what the Ducati or ZX is, but I know my F4i is supposed to be 2.8 sec. In all honesty, I think I'd pass out from excitement if a F1 pulled up next to me, though.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I split everywhere I go, if some cagers get upset, I don't pay much attention to them unless they try to squish me.
Some poeple get mad just because you're there and they forgot to take their meds. I let them stew in traffic and go about my business.:p :twofinger

·
Registered
120 Posts
I feel that the more MCs that do it the more people will think it is legal, as long as they are not Squid Aholes, I saw a website a while ago that was goog info on lanesplitting,

here is a good example of someone that could prolly slow it down a little,

http://www.bikepics.com/bikemovies/

and click on the one with the guy who calls himself the black prince, If anyone knows the story or if a higher quality version is available please share.

check out the part around 9:00 where the Alfa spyder tries to take him out, if you can understand german, the narrator is saying something like "sometime motorists forget to use their blinkers, this can be a problem" hell yeah,

In NY a lot of things are not legal, but they are ignored and the cops mind their own b'ness, unless they are jerks or wannabe RCMP dudley do rights, they would rather give a ticket to the guy in the Porsche, alot of them own bikes.

hwy speeds are usualy 80mph or Zero, when it is Zero-10mph I will split at a reasonable pace, and if it real bad I will leave the highway and take a nap.

·
Registered
38 Posts
lane splitting

Ducati748Girl said:

I've looked through all the auto/motorcycle manuals for this information, but their tactic for discouraging lane-splitting seems to be having obscure rules. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

I've also asked a CHP cop in a patrol car as I was splitting lanes in California and he replied ". " No more than 15 MPH over while splitting lanes or risk chance of getting pulled over." " I said, If I'm splitting lanes in dead stop traffic, HOW ARE YA GONNA BE ABLE TO CATCH ME?? He laughed and replied "I'll stay where I'm at and call a Motorcycle cop". TRANSLATION.... You will make a clean getaway, but look out for next time!!

There's my 2 cents!!!!!! Had to say it!!!!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Re: Using blinkers

When I was taking riding lessons I asked my instructor if lane splitting was legal. His answer was "Yes but if you change lanes without indicating you can be booked for that". That's petty, I've never seen a car being pulled over for failing to indicate and they do it all the time.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I do lane split and go to the front some times especially in rush hour.Yes, people (some )get pissed but I Ignore them. I usually go at least 10-15 mph and try to complete it before light changes!! or take right turn lane and look for a spot to cut in near the front while scanning for law enforcement and if I see one(cop) take a right turn and take alt. route home.Of course BOTH are not legal in Fla.Sometimes I do it, but not all the time!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts