Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I'm at a 4way stop yesterday, rolled on a little to quick, and popped my first "wheelie"... all 5 inches of it :twofinger

now I've always proclaimed from atop my soapbox that I would never ever be a stuntard. But I have to admit that it was quite a thrill. I'm fighting the urge...

·
Registered
142 Posts
It is a thrill. Always kinda scares me. I never could get it to really 'float' up. It would only come up a few inches or shoot straight for the freakin sky. Congrats on first wheelie. :D

·
Registered
391 Posts
I've only done one small one myself and that was sort of accidental. (Note to self, straighten bike completely before goosing throttle after carb sync!) Have to admit, the rush was there:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Riding Wheelies is very fun. Once ya start getting good you'll want to do it more. Rode my first one about a month ago and it's been a free for all ever since. Not too much though, you can bend your forks and damage othere things on you baby.

ENJOY!!!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
look at my user name......i love 'em! just remember to be smooth. when i first started doing them a while back, i could bring it up easily, but i got scared and would bring it down really fast.....not good for forks. keep the throttle slightly open while bringing it back down so that you don't damage the bike and you land smoothly. also, bring it back down with the front wheel pointing straight if you want to stay aboard your bike! wait until you try stand-ups....too much fun.:thumb: :D

·
Registered
391 Posts
wheelie123 said:
... also, bring it back down with the front wheel pointing straight if you want to stay aboard your bike! wait until you try stand-ups....too much fun.:thumb: :D
I hear that! I had just pulled out onto the main road and was not quite straight when I nailed the throttle. Having just had the carbs synched, she had a bit more juice than before. Front end came up slightly then hit asphalt and snapped me to the right:eek: I held on, but it was a definate eye opener! (course if I do that pointing straight......)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
yeah, that's called a tank slapper and they SUCK. glad to hear you came out of that one okay. even with the top racers, they get launched when this happens to them. the scariest one i've seen someone get out of was Tommy Hayden at mid-ohio (i think) at race speed.......big frggin props to him for riding that out and immediately nailing the throttle like it hadn't even happened. NEVER rip one up with the bike sideways.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Very simple. Be smooth ton the pick ups, land it like a plane, and practice practice practice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts