Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help please :)

Stop signs- What's the deal.. One, two or four bikes at time?? Everybody I ride with does something different and some people tend to get bitchy if a car gets between us.

Yield signs- Um, I rolled up to one Saturday and went to stop (there was a car coming) and this dude on the bike behind me almost slams into my back tire. I mean he's like an inch and a half off my bike at a really strange angle for the road.. Then later tells me that he didn't almost hit me and it's OKAY to get that close to my bike!?!? Am I wrong for thinking he's a tool? :cussing;

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Stop signs: I'll have to look up the law, but my guess is it doesn't recognize bikes as a group, so technically it should be one bike at a time (I could be wrong). But whenever I'm with a group, we all make the turn at the same time, and for the most part, drivers don't seem to mind.

Yield signs: I hate it when people stop at these. They are designed to keep traffic flowing. That being said, were you riding with the guy on the other bike, or did he just happen to be there the same time as you? When I'm riding with friends, I'll sometimes squeeze in pretty close (or even give their rear tire a nudge) when coming to a stop, but if I come across other riders, I usually give them some extra space.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I was riding with him, but damn I didn't know people would get right up on you like that... And bumping tires?? Geez, remind me never to ride with you :p j/k Unless you want to see me drop my bike that is.

But hey, I took all the advice this weekend and had a MUCH better ride. It was like the first time ever that my shoulders weren't sore afterwards. Still can't get rid of my death grip on the throttle though. That may take some time.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
It's never more than a little nudge just to get their attention, and I never do it to new riders or people I haven't ridden with a lot.

Death grips are hard to do away with, but just keep working on it. As long as you're not leaning on the bars, you've made a substantial improvement. Just keep working on your form, and like someone said on your other thread, imagine you're holding a wet sponge and not trying to squeeze any water out of it. That's about how much pressure you should have on the grips. Realistically, you'll have more than that, but it's just an easy way to remind yourself.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I got on the bike and took off down the road, thought about what you guys said and then realized I was completely leaning down on my bars with my weight again. So I checked myself like every ten minutes or so with the 'chicken dance' :thumbs2: Totally worked and I felt much more relaxed.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Rider groups are something you either dig or you don't. I wouldn't go through a stop sign with a pile of bikes either simply because I don't trust the cars to observe that and because I believe that to be illegal. Some cops are always looking for a way to write up a ticket for sportbikers, IMO.

On the yield, HR, you did the right thing. Of course you stop at a yield if there's a car coming down that road. To not do so would be..... foolish, asking for trouble, pick your term. Outside that circumstance, it is annoying to run into someone who stops when that's not called for, but if its clearly a new driver/rider, they get a bit of leeway.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
I see your point on the yield kanwisch, and it certainly depends on the area/road. But around here, there's normally enough time to get up to speed, and enough of an acceleration lane to find a hole in traffic. But there are exceptions.

As for stop signs, if there's a cop nearby, I'd probably sit back and follow the normal procedure, but then again, I'm always either the first/second bike in the group, or riding in the safety (cleanup, whatever you want to call it) position, so I don't normally have to worry about it. If everyone else has made it through, it's not an issue. But you always want to watch the other drivers to make sure they aren't trying to pull out, because there are drivers that will do VERY stupid and inconsiderate things just because they hate sportbike riders due to the bad rap we get as a result of all the squids around. Not to say I haven't engaged in irresponsible behavior, but I usually do so when the risk of other drivers/riders being effected is minimal.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was actually incredibly stupid, bolted into the road and cut the car off after I saw the guy behind me. I though he was going to dump his bike on me so I misjudged the distance of the car and got lucky. Not one of my finer moments... In retrospect, even if he did hit me it would have been better then getting hit by a car :dunno:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rider groups are something you either dig or you don't. QUOTE]

Yeah I can't WAIT until I can ditch my learners permit (hopefully Sunday). I just want to go out and ride by myself for a couple weeks. Sometimes it is a lot of fun with other people but sometimes it just annoys me. I haven't felt the freedom in riding yet and it's starting to get to me. One of my friends (who is new too) passed me in a left turn ON MY LEFT SIDE. I don't mean a nice big left curve, we were at a stop light making a tight left turn. I actually wait for the bike in front of me to take off THEN I go. He apparantly thought it was a good idea to go as soon as the light turned green. I was ready to put my bike up until my MSF course. Sorry for the rant, I'm still a little mad about that one...

·
Registered
658 Posts
It sounds as if the people you ride with don't respect the fact that you're a new rider. You've given a bunch of examples of why I don't like to ride with people I don't know very well. People around you need to be giving you more space until you're much more experienced and you know each other's riding habits better. Is it possible to ride with just one or two people instead of a group? It would be helpful to ride with experienced riders who could watch you and give you pointers. Riding with the group you've described sounds dangerous, especially with other new riders doing stupid things. The group experience is not worth getting hurt.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been reading alot of info but I'm a little lost on counter steering.. Slow tight turns you want to turn the wheel and counter balance and anything faster I was under the impression you just had to lean. From all I've read it appears that I should be counter steering above 50 mph or so? I have only been leaning (um, I think) in my turns and seem to do fine, is it something to be concerned with or just something for the track?

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Anything above parking lot speeds involves counter steering. You're doing it already and just don't realize it. When you enter a turn, you are turning the bars slightly in the opposite direction to initiate the lean. As the bike leans, the bars turn into the direction of the turn. It can be hard to notice a lot of times, but trust me, you're doing it.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
It's best just to not think about it while you are riding. I got in this conversation with a friend of mine last summer, and he damn near ended up going down while we were riding that day... he was trying to figure out what he did to turn at what speeds. Some things you do while you are riding that, if you put too much thought into them, could lead to bad things.

Just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
It's best just to not think about it while you are riding. I got in this conversation with a friend of mine last summer, and he damn near ended up going down while we were riding that day... he was trying to figure out what he did to turn at what speeds. Some things you do while you are riding that, if you put too much thought into them, could lead to bad things.

Just my two cents.
Agreed. The first time I ever rode a motorcycle ('92 CBR600) I did fine. Then a year or so later when I bought it (which would have been the second time I ever rode a bike) I started thinking too much into the how's and why's of what was going on, and felt a lot less comfortable until I finally decided to just let the bike do what it was trying to do without interference from me.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's funny you mention that. I was just thinking I should try moving the bars or something to see what i'm doing, but then thought about how that would feel going down... I guess if what i'm doing works then why f with it.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
That's funny you mention that. I was just thinking I should try moving the bars or something to see what i'm doing, but then thought about how that would feel going down... I guess if what i'm doing works then why f with it.
Exactly. Only analyze your riding if you are having problems. For example: "Why do my arms hurt so bad after such a short ride?" or "Why are my wrists aching?" Etc.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
If you've got a big parking lot at your disposal with little to no traffic (closed down shopping center, etc.) you can try getting up a little bit of speed (~25mph) and gently pushing the bars in one direction momentarily, and you will notice the bike leans the opposite direction. Don't try to keep pushing them, just a gentle nudge, and the bike will start turning. As it does, the bars will swing into the turn. Avoid sudden or exaggerated inputs though, and don't try anything you're uncomfortable with.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How about second gear take offs? Transmission death or a good way to get to it?

(And seriously let me know if i'm killing you guys with the questions.)

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you've got a big parking lot at your disposal with little to no traffic (closed down shopping center, etc.) you can try getting up a little bit of speed (~25mph) and gently pushing the bars in one direction momentarily, and you will notice the bike leans the opposite direction. Don't try to keep pushing them, just a gentle nudge, and the bike will start turning. As it does, the bars will swing into the turn. Avoid sudden or exaggerated inputs though, and don't try anything you're uncomfortable with.
Yeah it would be great to try, just to get the feel. I just really don't want to drop my bike on the left side (took care of the right already). Maybe I can try that out on those 250's in the course i'm taking this weekend...

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
How about second gear take offs? Transmission death or a good way to get to it?

(And seriously let me know if i'm killing you guys with the questions.)

Probably not harmful, since 2nd gear take-offs in cars hurt the clutch, and bikes almost always (And this includes yours) have a wet clutch. However... there is no point. Bikes are geared high enough so there is no benefit in doing so.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts