Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just talked to a KTM rep. that dropped by our shop. Looks like the RC8 has been put on hold. Something about moto gp going to 3 cylinder 800's? Since the RC8 is a twin they have to build a new motor. I told him screw moto gp put it out so us street guys can have one. He said now they are more interested in building their racing quad. To bad, that would of been a bad ass bike.

-M-

Attachments

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
It does look abit tranformish doesnt it?
MotoGP is going to an 800cc but they still allow twins. The thing is, the more cylinders, the higher the minimum weight.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
psudy said:
Frame looks weak.
I believe it a steel tubular frame, simular to dicati's. Keep in mind that the motor is a stress member, and most likely provides more rigidity then the frame itself. So the weak part is the subframe, and those dont need to be stiff...

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn people. Anyway here are the specs, or here where the specs....

990 RC8: TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION (STATUS SEPTEMBER 2004)

ENGINE

Engine: 2-Cylinder, 4-Stroke, V 75°
Displacement: 999.8 cc
Bore x Stroke: 101 x 62.4 mm
Performance: 100 kW / 9600 rpm
Max. torque: 103 Nm / 7300 rpm
Compression ratio: 11.8 : 1
Starter: E-starter
Transmission: 6 gears, dog clutch engagement
Fuel: 95 ROZ
Mixture conditioning: Electronic fuel injection
Control: DOHC
Valve: Spur-gear driven tooth-type chain
Lubrication: Pressure circulation lubrication
Engine oil: Motorex Power Synt 4T, SAE 10W-50
Primary drive: 67 : 35
Cooling: Liquid cooling
Clutch: Wet multi-disc clutch, hydraulically operated
Ignition: Denso battery ignition
Spark plug: NGK DCPR 8 E

CHASSIS

Frame: Chromium molybdenum tubular space frame, powder-coated
Subframe: Aluminium
Handlebar: Aluminium clip-ons
Suspension front: WP-USD 48 Multi Adjuster PA
Suspension rear: WP - Multi Adjuster
Suspension travel front/rear: 120 / 125 mm
Brake front: Double disc Ø 305 mm
Brake rear: Disc Ø 210 mm
Rim front/rear: 3.5 x 17 " / 5.5 x 17"
Tire front/rear: 120/70 - 17" / 190/50 - 17"
Transmission ratio: 17:38
Battery: 12V / 12 Ah
Steering head angle: 67.3°
Wheelcaster: 89 mm
Wheelbase: 1399 mm
Ground clearance: (unloaded) 150 mm
Seat height: (unloaded) 835 mm
Tank capacity: approx. 17 l
Dry weight: approx. 175 kg

My boss was at a KTM convention where they had one there. He said they had the RC8 engine and the RC51 engine side by side. He said you could pick up the RC8 engine by yourself and it was a lot smaller/lighter than the RC51's. Also looked better in person. Personally I think it looks bad ass.

-M-

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I too like the looks, and they are very transformers-ish. A few conversions.
Power 100kW=131.4HP
Torque 103Nm=76ft/lbs
Weight 175kg= 385 lbs.

Looks to be in the same class as an RC51, but better.

·
Registered
217 Posts
thats super sexy, i love the looks, its light and powerful....that would definitely be a bike that id be interested in...too bad they wont make it

edit: im talking about this being a street bike, not motogp or anything

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
For many yrs it has been the custom of some of the makers to turn out a bike, basically with a dummy power plant (meaning one made up of wood, plastic & paint), along with any specs they want to give it. This is so they can see the interest through the different distributors & m/c shop people to sometimes even a few public shows. They are testing out the desires of the public & the riders. Probably done more often by the Continental makers.

Mind you I remember so well Honda had a hot trotting four pot sportbike in 400cc (not the CB-400F) & offered it to Cdn Distributors so asked the dealer to get one for me & even put down some cash in advance. He placed his order for two of them only Honda changed its mind. My money handed back to me by the dealer.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I knew something didnt sit right... Its a nice bike, but 385lbs is waay to heavy and 130hp is way anemic for motoGP. The bikes there run 300lbs and about 250hp... I dont care if they get Rossi, they still cant win with that machine...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

It is a fantastic looking bike in my opinion. Those angular shapes remind me of a radar-dodging Stealth bomber. It would also have quality German craftsmanship if it ever made it to market.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Vash,
Those are just the specs on thier prototype bike. It wasn't a race version, they just built a few to test everything out since they will be new to the sportbike scene. KTM builds some insane engines for thier dirtbikes and motards. I'm sure they could build something to keep up with the yami or honda. We will see sometime...

-M-

Bluejays - Austria -

Difference? Not really.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I thought KTM was an australian firm....

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
mstrand_68 said:
Vash,
Those are just the specs on thier prototype bike. It wasn't a race version, they just built a few to test everything out since they will be new to the sportbike scene. KTM builds some insane engines for thier dirtbikes and motards. I'm sure they could build something to keep up with the yami or honda. We will see sometime...

-M-
Not to knock down KTM, They are a strong compnay, But I dont believe that current materials will allow a liter twin to produce over 200hp. Look at ducati, they were forced to go to a V4 in order to keep up with the MotoGP crowd...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi m_strand68:

You're right...Austria. I was thinking of the German language and the correct country slipped my mind.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Knew there was something wrong with your spelling Blue Jays & this would be so rare to you. Still after reading it the third time I to hit onto Australia instead of Austria. OH well who is perfect??

Still I took a liking to the bike, in appearance, & while others complained about the angular shapes I to liked the touch towards stealth. You look at some of the cuisers & destroyers & you see the same. Besides it was the different step by KTM which is not like all the rest, for they are different & appealing to my eyes when it comes to m/cs.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi Smitty-

It wasn't my spelling that was in error, it was incorrectly stating Germany instead of the proper Austria where KTM is headquartered. At least they both speak the same language!

Oops! :hello:

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
462 Posts
Smitty said:
Knew there was something wrong with your spelling Blue Jays & this would be so rare to you. Still after reading it the third time I to hit onto Australia instead of Austria. OH well who is perfect??
Vash said:
I thought KTM was an australian firm....
I think Australia was Vash's mistake. Blue Jays wrote Germany instead. I still have yet to see her make a spelling or grammer error. :p

And now that I think about it, it does kind of remind me of the stealth bomber. Black would really add to the effect. Although... isn't stealth the thing that we, as motorcyclists, are trying to avoid?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts