Sportbike World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I was in training for work in Colorado (what a great week to be there, wish I would've had a bike!). While there, I saw a KTM dealer, and decided I'd have a look at their stock. As you may well know, they are best known for dirt bikes. That being said, the 950 Adventurer is a cross breed. It looks very dirt bike, but has street tires, nice looking (BMW like) faring, and it sneeks in as a tourer with saddle-bags. Most impressive to me was at around 500 lbs, the bike is a challenge to tip over. It is so bottom heavy it was almost like a cruiser. I think this is a requirement though, since the inseam is so high. I was on my tip-toes while in the saddle, but felt very little fear that I would ever drop this bike. Seriously, at a 45 degree angle to the ground, it still didn't feel like it would fall unless I entirely let go.

So after these impression I wondered if this low slung weight is common to the enduro/dirtbike genre. Also I was curious if at $11,000 a bike like this is a good value? And finally, has anyone ridden KTM, and I was curious how their performace in general was considered?

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i have no experience with ktm's in general, but the bike looks like fun. i'm gonna put this in the daily rider forum, since i'm guessing you've ridden at least a couple of bikes (i.e. auto-signature).

·
Registered
860 Posts
I honestly don't know, but I will say I'm really interested in what KTM is doing and hope too see some interesting bikes from them in the future.:thumb:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
They are a fairly tall saddled bike & if you get into any tough stuff then sometimes getting a foot down to the uneven ground is a LONG reach & sometimes enough to where the bike goes down with you.

I would say on 4X4 roads it should be okay, but farther in you will have to think back to your days of riding dirt with smaller power-plant, lower saddle & lighter bike.

I have not seen KTM in this area since '99 though I have a friend that has purchased a 660 single. Probably through his automotive business he obtained one a near dealers cost since no dealers in said area.

Have a hunch that the V-twin you are looking at is what the custom made 950 or 990 were made out of for the Paris to Dakar though most rode the 640 & 660 singles.

I can only go on what I read & not that much is avaliable.

·
Registered
243 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did a test ride on the 950 SM and the 990 ADVENTURE. I really like both. I'm torn as to which one to get. The SM would be the best for the twisties, but the ADVENTURE would be better for some sport touring, and getting me and my son out to some overnight back country rides.

Everyone that I have talked to that has spent some time on the ADVENTURE says that it does 9/10ths of what a sportbike can do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts