Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
i'd heard about this a couple days ago from a different forum, riders from the bay area were actually outside the radio station protesting. the kicker to this is of course the DJ claims ignorance, that he didn't know it was legal in california to lane split. making comments like that is dangerous, and ingorance should not be an excuse for him, actually, i think he was fired as a dj elsewhere prior to becoming a dj in the bay area but that's just what i've heard.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I had gotten wind of this last week. I took the time to call the radio staion and let them know what an asshat I thought the guy was for making such stupid remarks. Kinda ironic this same guy will be taking the MSF course at sometime in the future.

·
Registered
515 Posts
yeah, wtf man, he says somethin' dumb and downright dangerous and someone pays for his msf course to "educate" him :confused:

i've got a better idea, why doesn't he help pay for motorists to take the msf course, maybe convert a few other people into riding, and just to help drive the idea of motorcycle awareness home. I think that'd b a better punishment.

·
Registered
675 Posts
If you read the article he is talking about "lane-splitting" Which is legal in some states CA included. It is not legal in maine and I wouldn't do it even if it was.

For those who do not know what lane splitting is...
It's driving between lanes when traffic is stopped or backed up at a light. It is very dangerous and has been cause for tons of accidents and elevating road rage for an already po'd cager.

·
Registered
376 Posts
It's driving between lanes when traffic is stopped or backed up at a light. It is very dangerous and has been cause for tons of accidents and elevating road rage for an already po'd cager.
Um, I completely disagree here. It can be more dangerous in certain situations if you are reckless with it, but generally it's safer than not splitting lanes when traffic is stopped - the main reason being it effectively prevents you from being rear-ended. The Hurt study published some findings on it, and found it to be an insignificant factor in accidents.

·
Registered
376 Posts
8) Split lanes on the freeway. It's safer than trusting the guy behind you not to rear-end you. In the Hurt study, more riders on the freeway got nailed from behind while staying in their lane than riders who crashed while lane-splitting. But don't go too much faster than the traffic flow and be really careful when coming up to a car with an open space in the lane next to it, especially if the lane with the space is moving faster than the one with the car.

I'll post the source in a minute.

There are other sources out there, this is just one of them.

Often, I think, what "seems" dangerous or "seems" safe isn't really so. I thought lane-splitting looked dangerous too when I first moved to california b/c I hadn't seen it before. But there are a lot of safety myths out there. I think this site I'm about to post talks about some of them, and is interesting to read through.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The study, commissioned by the U.S. Department of Transportation, concluded that lane splitting is safer than sitting in stop-and-go traffic, where bikers are far more likely to be ``sandwiched'' between two cars.
A seperate study.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
mainerdr said:

Traffic doesn't have to be stopped for it to be called lane splitting! :squid:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ya, 90+ mph lane splitting is common in Miami. There was a bunch of times where I had to swerve out of the way in my car when a squid tried pass by me in my lane. There is zero visibility, so if my car drifted into right portion of my lane... well you get the picture. Glad I don't live there anymore.

·
Registered
609 Posts
It's not legal here in New England, but one day I was coming back from a group ride, and had a nice approx. 200 mile freeway trip. Hit a traffic jam, and started lane splitting, SLOWLY. Still definitely pissed off a couple cagers, one tried cutting me off.

Either way, that DJ sucks for saying that. At least he's apologizing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
mainerdr said:
:rolleyes:

Lane splitting is one of the most appealing reasons to ride a bike in LA. On the freeway, when traffic is nearly stopped (which is the norm) and when done with a modicum of common sense, lane splitting is safe and efficient.

Why on earth would you want to be stuck there with all the cages? There are way too many cars out there... look how small a person is, why the hell should one lonely individual take up THAT much space on the road just to go from point A to point B? With a car there is a whole lot of mass completely unnecessary to the goal of getting a person to destination, and such wasted space is what forces cages into the congested mess that freeways are today (car pools and cargo are a different story, of course).

Bikes are more efficient; we occupy less space, so why the hell should we “pretend” that we are wasting the same amount of volume as cars do? It makes no sense… we go between cars because WE FIT.

Lane splitting is legal here, and it should be everywhere. It’s very rare that I see some idiot getting pissed because I go by. Most of the time people actually make room for me and I wave back to thank them. It makes sense, they know it and they are fine with it.

Those cagers that get pissed should ride bikes too, they have the option. Otherwise, they should shut up and wait in line with the others.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree with all the positive comments about lane splitting. During the four years I had my bike I lane split extensively and probably saved hundreds of hours sitting in traffic. Its almost a necessity in the summer here in LA where you'll bake in the sun while in stop&go traffic.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Those cagers that get pissed should ride bikes too, they have the option. Otherwise, they should shut up and wait in line with the others.
I agree. You're either a jerk or a control freak or both if you get mad when a bike passes you - why should it matter when it affects you in no way whatsoever.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts