Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My knees get all achey and tight after several hours in the saddle. BAD. Wondering what the exact purpose of "rearset footpegs" is and whether a taller seat would help unbend my knees a bit. Anyone have any experience with this?

I am 6'2" on a 98 F3, stone stock. I am fit and active and rowing machine helped take away prior shoulder problem. Seems like lowering the pegs would help (but I realize why this isn't an option), then thought about taller/thicker saddle to stretch me out. Also noticed my leather pants (seemingly made for someone wider around than tall) exert some pressure on my kneecap.

Moving pegs back doesn't seem like what I need, but I've never tried them.

Any help would be appreciated.

------------------

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Man, first your wrists and now your knees. Have you looked at getting a cruiser? Just a thought. Just kidding.
Aftermarket footpegs will drastically change the riding position even if they only lower the pegs a little. Check with the manufacturer, they should have figures on how much lower the position is. Also, if you are on a longer trip try riding on your heels instead of your toes, unless you already ride like that. Remember, it is good for some things to hang low but toes aren't on the list.
I would think the constant pressure from your leathers would be irritating after a while. Can't comment on the seat issue.

------------------
If if if....
If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps!

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
rearsets usually go back and up, not made for comfort.

try relaxing more.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

G

·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jrm:
Also noticed my leather pants (seemingly made for someone wider around than tall) exert some pressure on my kneecap.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is definitely not helping matters.

Like Tony said, rearsets move the pegs up and back, which will only exacerbate your problem. A couple of main purposes for rearsets are increased cornering clearance, and help the rider/racer get into an an aerodynamic crouch. Oh, they also help to increase poser factor on the street.

------------------
Pete
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pete:
This is definitely not helping matters.

Like Tony said, rearsets move the pegs up and back, which will only exacerbate your problem. A couple of main purposes for rearsets are increased cornering clearance, and help the rider/racer get into an an aerodynamic crouch. Oh, they also help to increase poser factor on the street.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

tony can't spell exacerbate, he does however know how to do something that, nevermind :eek: :rolleyes:

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

[This message has been edited by cbrf2boy (edited September 18, 2000).]

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe I will pad the seat with the neighbor's cat, sit on it and ride around a while to see if increased seat height helps. Thanks for clarifying the rearsets for me--kind of what I thought.

------------------

G

·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jrm:
Maybe I will pad the seat with the neighbor's cat

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was going to suggest a pillow from the sofa, but if it means one less cat on Earth, then I'm all for it. :D

------------------
Pete
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No hypochondriac. Have enough pain in life to bother imagining more.

Do believe it's better/faster to ask around in "more experienced circles" and take advantage of others' suffering to limit my own.

Totally surprised that someone didn't make comment about there being two pussies on the seat...

------------------

·
Registered
186 Posts
Think of this in a logical manner:

Simple problem: legs hurt from riding
Simple solution: take more breaks and walk around instead of modifiying your bike (or killing the neighbors cat)

------------------
Dan...Comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Squid
2019 Ducati Monster 1200s
813 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by iowazx6r:
Simple solution: take more breaks and walk around instead of modifiying your bike (or killing the neighbors cat)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I kind of liked the idea of snuffing the furrball :D

------------------
John
http://photos.yahoo.com/jk6672

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can't go fast if you're not comfortable. Ride magazine did an article in this months issue on how to sit, and how to be comfortable on a bike.

My recommendation to you... buy a VFR, or a ZRX/Bandit. You'll be more comfortable, enjoy the ride more; and if you understand that it's the rider... not the bike that is able to go fast through turns... then you'll go just as fast or faster on a less aggresive sport bike.

------------------
Yes mom, I promise this is the last bike I'll buy (this year....)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts