Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a question for people....i've never seen nor heard about people knee draggin on street. is technique something that is only done a track? illuminarte me.

mind you i'm *not* thinking about trying this, so don't get worried. i dragged a toe once and that was waaaay scare enough. ;)

thanks!
-chris sedition
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
You need to adjust your foot position so you don't drag your toe. Most people say to try to stay away from draggin on the street due to the inperfections on the street. Leave it for the track.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,400 Posts
St rictly for road racing with clean tracks, no gravel or lord knows what, & no worry of cages coming the other way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Ideally, knee-draggin would only be done at the track, but look at the bike videos that are on the 'net. People do it on the street all the time, often in moderate to heavy traffic, around blind curves. I don't knee-drag, and have no desire to do so no the street. If there where I track nearby, maybe I'd be into it then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,400 Posts
We have a few chaps with sportbikes, joined two piece racing leathers & pucks on their knees. All looks so professional only to get the tyres well woren right off to the ecges some have the bike up against a building & so lean it from one side to the other as rear wheel is spinning.

Mind you many use a mobile grinder to do the job & it does a nice job on the knee pucks & outside parts of the boots.

True posers I am sorry to say as they only ride in town. Never out on the hwys like those on cruisers, to HD, to sport-touring bikes, touring bikes to some of us on sportbikes.

Sort of like skiers that spend all the time ONLY on the practice slopes in the most attractive ski clothing & some beautiful styles of skiing but they cannot handle the steeper parts let alone competition like Downhill, Giant Slalom, Slalom, or hot dogging trick skiing. In other words the ski bumbs.

I will admit that some, probably, not here, will sometimes get it over that far only they are chancing their lives as are stunters.

Remember to that to get over as far as the road racers one needs real stickies in the line of slicks not legal on the hwys.

No matter what one cannot count on that bend to be as clean as they expected or as safe with oncoming traffic, but then the same thing in stunting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
Dragging knees on the street is dumb as hell. When the bike is over that far, the rider is generally riding at 10/10ths of their ability. That means that whatever is around the corner, be it a car to take the rider's life, or a child about to lose their life, becomes unavoidable to the dumbass trying to look cool. Personally, I don't give a damn about their life, but for the safety of everyone else it should be kept on the track.:2cents:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
As for the technique aspect. It allows the rider to move the centre of gravity down and towards the inside of the curve, allowing the bike to use less lean angle for any given curve. As an added bonus, many riders use their knees as a lean-angle guage, so they know how much they have left before the hard parts such as exhaust start touching the tarmac.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,547 Posts
It can be done safely but you definitely give up some of the margin for safety. It also really depends mostly on the rider and the road. The road has to be clean and the corners open enough visually so you can see oncoming traffic well in advance. The rider should be well under 10/10ths or they're just asking for big trouble.

The roads we have in SoCal can be so tight and twisty that you can easily get a knee down at 35mph and 6/10ths.

Definitely not for everyone or every location. And at no time should you ever have to cross the center line due to speed. If you ever cross the center line you better do some serious soul searching about what's possible when you do that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
apexismaximus said:
It can be done safely but you definitely give up some of the margin for safety. It also really depends mostly on the rider and the road. The road has to be clean and the corners open enough visually so you can see oncoming traffic well in advance. The rider should be well under 10/10ths or they're just asking for big trouble.

The roads we have in SoCal can be so tight and twisty that you can easily get a knee down at 35mph and 6/10ths.

Definitely not for everyone or every location. And at no time should you ever have to cross the center line due to speed. If you ever cross the center line you better do some serious soul searching about what's possible when you do that.
ok, someome explain 10/10ths and the fractions i've seenmentioned...

-sedition
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah, i figured that much...but are you speaking in terms of that's what % of control people have of there bikes, how much tire is left till you lean out of the tread, etc...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
I'm not the one that used the term so I can only guess.

If you exceed 100% then you will crash.

For some, it may be just parameters of the bike as traction, lean angle...

For other, it can be the total system including the rider's skill, confidence level, fear tolerance.


btw - when you touched your toe? was it a slider or a rubber sole? did it grab or just slide?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ddreg said:
I'm not the one that used the term so I can only guess.

If you exceed 100% then you will crash.

For some, it may be just parameters of the bike as traction, lean angle...

For other, it can be the total system including the rider's skill, confidence level, fear tolerance.


btw - when you touched your toe? was it a slider or a rubber sole? did it grab or just slide?
ok...now i understand the context on the %'s. thanks for the clarification.

i hit my toe taking a right hand 90 degree turn in th middle of downtown Boston. I doubt i was going over 15-20mph. it was rubber...the *second* i felt it hit i straightened the bike up. ever since then i dont lean as much going around turns (and i make sure my feet are up!)

-chr|s sedition
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,820 Posts
Speedboy3 said:
Dragging knees on the street is dumb as hell. When the bike is over that far, the rider is generally riding at 10/10ths of their ability. That means that whatever is around the corner, be it a car to take the rider's life, or a child about to lose their life, becomes unavoidable to the dumbass trying to look cool. Personally, I don't give a damn about their life, but for the safety of everyone else it should be kept on the track.:2cents:
you don't give a damn about a child's life who's innocently trudging away? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Dragging your knee doesn't mean you're cornering at the limit. That's probably one of the biggest misconception. I personally don't drag my knee often even at the track. Why? Because I my knee normally pull itself in before the puck touches the ground, and I'm not the tallest of the bunch. Knee dragging is mostly for gauging how far you have leaned over. I know a few riders who can ride at 50% or less, drag their knee all over the place, and still have 1" chicken strips. Knee dragging isn't dangerous if you're not out there riding just trying to get your knee to touch the ground and lose focus on riding itself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,547 Posts
10/10ths or any tenths is a theoretical and very abstract term used to described how hard YOU feel you are riding, how much margin for error you feel you have left for the little things that you can't predict on the street.

Do a google on "The Pace" by Nick Ienatch, spelling may be off on the last name. The Pace is all about what is a good level of aggression for street riding. He also has a new sport/track riding book out that I've read most of and feel is a good place for all levels of rider to read or review once in awhile.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
Chris Sedition said:
ok...now i understand the context on the %'s. thanks for the clarification.

i hit my toe taking a right hand 90 degree turn in th middle of downtown Boston. I doubt i was going over 15-20mph. it was rubber...the *second* i felt it hit i straightened the bike up. ever since then i dont lean as much going around turns (and i make sure my feet are up!)

-chr|s sedition
Your toe should definitely NOT be the first thing that hits the street when leaned over. Place the balls of your feet on the pegs not your arches. Plus press your feet inward into the guards. Not only will it prevent a broken foot, it will help plant your lower body on the bike. The peg feeler should touch before any part of your foot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
610 Posts
Draggin Toes

I have a couple of curves around here on a state road that is very very clean and you can drag if you want too.. Im getting to the point where i am dragging my toes and that isnt good.. I have to defentally start workin on techinque... Just depends on the place you ride and how much you ride it.. I always check out these 2 corners on my ride... Im too scared to use my knees and defentally without pants and pucks.. Maybe ill have to go invest in some but i normally never get down that far.. Hopefully headin to a track soon!

Just use common sense and youll be alright..
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top