Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have been riding for about a year now. My exhaust has a very low frequence drone even when in 6th cruising along. So others told me to wear ear plugs and that will solve it. Okay, so i went out and bought 30dB reduction ear plugs. Well, it seems even worse with them in. Instead of hearing the engine, I get a tremendous amount of wind noise which rushes past my ears. After I ride for an hour on, especially at highway speeds, I come home and my ears feel funny for awhile. It's similar to being in a loud bar or a club. They are not ringing, but it just feels strange for 15 or 20 minutes. My question is: Does this happen to other people? and what is the cause? I think maybe it's my helmet. Maybe a better helmet would have a better seal and not let that wind noise in. Currently I have a 4 year old AGV which came with my bike. So what do you guys think? Ear damaging or what?

thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I wear ear plugs when I remember them. The wind noise has probably always been there; you just haven't noticed it over the exhaust before. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The plugs are made by a company called Hearos. they are little foam plugs which you squish and they expand in your ear to make a good fit. They were cheap and said they reduce noise by 30dB's. I think you are right about the wind noise. I just didn't notice it over the exhaust. Do different helmets perform differently with air flow? This is my first bike and obviouly first helmet, and I am just wondering if lets say an Arai will not have this problem? With they way it is now I could never go long distances without getting a killer headache.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Dude...that sounds pretty wild. I have an AGV Demon Top Vent, and I really like it. The wind noise is so bad though that if I don't wear ear plugs I have to wear a "miracle ear" for about two weeks. I bought some 30db ear plugs that are a little more like rubber than foam, and it cured the problem totally. They are pink (no cracks please :) ) and came in a ten pack. I forget the name, but they were cheap and they work great. Picked em up in wal-mart sporting goods. I also noticed a big jump in my confidence level after stuffing my ears. Not sure why that is. I guess I don't judge speed by wind noise as much. Also makes for a lot more comfortable ride. The only problem is that I have to have people at stop lights yell at me when they want to talk. Oh wait.....having people yell at me at stop lights is normal. Never mind.

bRad

P

·
0 Posts
F3, does your helmet fit you correctly, not too loose, snug, but not too tight? Yes, typically, helmets with less ventilation will provide superior noise protection. Also, it sounds like you may be inserting the plugs too far into your ears, putting too much pressure on the sensitive membranes of your inner ear. I dunno, though, it's just a guess. Maybe try a different brand of plugs. And if your helmet is 4 years old, and you aren't sure of how it was taken care of (i.e., do you know for certain it was never dropped or whatever), it may be a wise move to go helmet shopping. Not that that has anything to do with your noise problem, but for the peace of mind and ensuring a proper fit with the features you want, it's well worth the expense.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Pete said:
F3, does your helmet fit you correctly, not too loose, snug, but not too tight? Yes, typically, helmets with less ventilation will provide superior noise protection. Also, it sounds like you may be inserting the plugs too far into your ears, putting too much pressure on the sensitive membranes of your inner ear. I dunno, though, it's just a guess. Maybe try a different brand of plugs. And if your helmet is 4 years old, and you aren't sure of how it was taken care of (i.e., do you know for certain it was never dropped or whatever), it may be a wise move to go helmet shopping. Not that that has anything to do with your noise problem, but for the peace of mind and ensuring a proper fit with the features you want, it's well worth the expense.
Yeah, listen to Ralph Nader. He know's everything.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Hearos are among the best available. Either you are inserting them wrong, or are just having some soreness getting use to them. Roll them up tight, and lift the top of your ear while inserting them. Hold in place until they expand.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
F3 Rocket said:
My exhaust has a very low frequence drone even when in 6th cruising along. So others told me to wear ear plugs and that will solve it. Okay, so i went out and bought 30dB reduction ear plugs. Well, it seems even worse with them in. Instead of hearing the engine, I get a tremendous amount of wind noise which rushes past my ears.
I have one of those jobs where double hearing protection is a must, so I am very aware of potential threats to my hearing. Ear plugs, depending on what they are made of, will filter out certain noise ranges better than others. This may be why you now are only bothered by the wind noise. If it is wind noise that is your problem, it sounds like your helmet fits improperly, which could explain why you had the noise problem even before the plugs.

There are other possible causes- if your ear canals are oddly shaped, you could experience reduced effects from the squeeze type plugs. A ear, nose, and throat doctor can tell you what the problem most likely is and custom make a set of plugs for you that will conform to your ear and should solve the problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have got a friend who ride with an HJC CL12 (or something like that) and I have an Aria Rx7-rr4. My helmet even though it has vents, is much quieter than his. What do you expect for about 300 bucks more?!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Re: Re: Killing our EARS????

Stake said:

I have one of those jobs where double hearing protection is a must, so I am very aware of potential threats to my hearing. Ear plugs, depending on what they are made of, will filter out certain noise ranges better than others. This may be why you now are only bothered by the wind noise. If it is wind noise that is your problem, it sounds like your helmet fits improperly, which could explain why you had the noise problem even before the plugs.

There are other possible causes- if your ear canals are oddly shaped, you could experience reduced effects from the squeeze type plugs. A ear, nose, and throat doctor can tell you what the problem most likely is and custom make a set of plugs for you that will conform to your ear and should solve the problem.
I agree with Stake, I also have a job that involves double hearing protection. As a Firearms Instructor for a federal law enforcement agency (for the last 15 years) and 4 years military experience (artillery) hearing protection is of utmost concern. Last year my hearing tests showed a significant decline from 10 years ago. WHAT? I thought you said something. My wife thinks I'm deaf anyway. If your'e young, think about this as a potential problem, I'm 45 years old and I see better than I hear. Tom

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
There is a tremendous difference between helmets. I currently have a Shoei XP-SII (or something like that) and I can't stand to wear most of my older helmets now because of the wind noise.

S

·
0 Posts
tigerblade said:
There is a tremendous difference between helmets. I currently have a Shoei XP-SII (or something like that) and I can't stand to wear most of my older helmets now because of the wind noise.

Wuss. Pretty soon you;ll be riding a goldwing saying "I can't stand to ride my old CBR900"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Electronic Hearing Protection

One of my engineer buddies has some electronic hearing aids that he uses out on the gun-range. They are adjusted to allow normal conversation, but, filter out the loud gunshots.

I guess they work pretty well because he's able to hold normal volume conversations w/out removing his plugs between rounds.

I wonder if they could adjust these electronic devices to work well with motorcycles. Something that will remove the redundant engine/wind/road noise but still allow horns and other loud (important) noises. In fact, they might even allow conversation.

All of these noises are basic frequencies. Most frequencies can be filtered somehow. But, you still lose something in the process.

Anyway, it's possible to get something like this... just a matter of paying the extra $50 - $100 for the protection.
:)

P

·
0 Posts
Re: Electronic Hearing Protection

Gholsie said:
One of my engineer buddies has some electronic hearing aids that he uses out on the gun-range. They are adjusted to allow normal conversation, but, filter out the loud gunshots.

I guess they work pretty well because he's able to hold normal volume conversations w/out removing his plugs between rounds.

I wonder if they could adjust these electronic devices to work well with motorcycles. Something that will remove the redundant engine/wind/road noise but still allow horns and other loud (important) noises. In fact, they might even allow conversation.

All of these noises are basic frequencies. Most frequencies can be filtered somehow. But, you still lose something in the process.

Anyway, it's possible to get something like this... just a matter of paying the extra $50 - $100 for the protection.
:)
These do work *very* well for their intended purpose. I am not trying to pretend that I know exactly how the work, but I would think that unlike a gunshot, there are too many other sounds involved with motorcycling that are of the same frequency as well as too many variants of sound waves/frequencies, making filtering out specific sounds almost impossible, or cost prohibitive.

I dunno, does that even make sense?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts