Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know everyone has asked the same question. I am a newbie like a lot of others. But I am smart enough to listen to anyone wiser than me. I am going to take the MSF course as soon as I get home also, beginner and after 6 months or so the advanced. I am asking for advice, or opinions or someones 2 pennies. I was going to get an '06 R6 or and '06 650R. I have read almost every single forum in here and many others on various websites. I just talked to one of my Officers that has been riding since 98 and he told me I would be better off with nothing higher or lower than an 03, with no more that 7k.

·
Registered
515 Posts
well, i'm certainly no wiser than you seein' as i'm still a noob myself... but if you read quite a bit here, you'll see a lot of experienced riders suggest you start w/ a 250 or 500cc bike, another suggestion is the sv650 (suzuki's version of the 650r that you can buy used). others will say its ok to start on a 600, its quite a debate that I won't go into.

so you've got choices... my only suggestion is don't buy anything brand new, because there's a very good chance of you dropping or crashing that bike. :2cents:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea thats one of the main things that everyone is saying. I rode a 01 ninja 1000 once and I know I wont be able to handle those. I have feared getting on one since I was 17 but now I know I am more disciplined and more realistic. I have a great respect for these machines and a little fear also. But thanx for the :2cents:

·
Registered
980 Posts
I don't think milage is that big of a thing if you can tell how well the bike had been kept with matience and cleaning and what not. Like a lot of people of been suggesting a new small cc engine some others suggest going and getting a older 600. The fact that is old is going to bring the price down a lot, if you drop it, its not a big of a deal cause it was cheap. Also the fact that it is still a 600 with enough power to get you into and out of trouble but isnt as crazy super torque, super highspeed super razor shapr handling as most the supersports on the market today. Just another opinion I have gathered on the forum, not my own.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I hope you are not seriously considering an R6, because that is way too fast for you, one of the fastest bikes you can buy (as far as handling), in my opinion, and way too much for a starter bike. :2cents:

·
Registered
376 Posts
my only suggestion is don't buy anything brand new, because there's a very good chance of you dropping or crashing that bike
i hear this from everybody, but here's another way to look at it. if you plan on fixing the damage you do to your bike when you drop it, I don't think it matters whether the bike is new or old, it's probably gonna cost you the same thing.

now if you plan on letting it get a little beat up, then buying used makes sense.

but it's not like damaging a used bike is going to be significantly less espensive than damaging a new one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
ESanders2 said:
i hear this from everybody, but here's another way to look at it. if you plan on fixing the damage you do to your bike when you drop it, I don't think it matters whether the bike is new or old, it's probably gonna cost you the same thing.

now if you plan on letting it get a little beat up, then buying used makes sense.

but it's not like damaging a used bike is going to be significantly less espensive than damaging a new one.
There is a difference in that there are alot more of the older bikes being parted out after wrecks. Meaning cheap used parts. If you get an 06' R6 and wreck in the first month, I bet your ass is going to have to go to the dealership $$$$$$ to get pieces.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fuster said:
I hope you are not seriously considering an R6, because that is way too fast for you, one of the fastest bikes you can buy (as far as handling), in my opinion, and way too much for a starter bike. :2cents:

Well its like I said, I was CONSIDERING it. I dont have a lot of experience on bikes so I am asking b4 I get myself killed. I want to be able to have fun, but I also want to be able get up there when needed. I am planning on making this like a perminent vehicle. I will be riding back and forth from arizona to california almost every weekend. I was just looking at some Hondas and the CBRs look nice also. I believe there are 636s. I like the under the seat exhaust look also. But again thank you for your :2cents:

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
My opinion weighs simply against the race-replicas. That would exclude R6, CBR600RRs, ZX-6Rs, GSXR-600 in my book, and of course anything larger than 600cc's.

ZZR, sv650's etc would be fine in some cases (maturity is a large factor and I will no longer evaluate it online) :2cents:

·
Registered
515 Posts
END20070803 said:
Well its like I said, I was CONSIDERING it. I dont have a lot of experience on bikes so I am asking b4 I get myself killed. I want to be able to have fun, but I also want to be able get up there when needed. I am planning on making this like a perminent vehicle. I will be riding back and forth from arizona to california almost every weekend. I was just looking at some Hondas and the CBRs look nice also. I believe there are 636s. I like the under the seat exhaust look also. But again thank you for your :2cents:
almost every weekend?! :eek: well you'll definitely have a lot of seat time and experience on the interstates :D

the longest i've ridden was about 120 miles straight, and i'll tell you that it gets sore as a newbie and my bike is considered fairly upright compared to the new supersports now.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I noted your words of "--I am planning on making this like a perminent vehicle.--" which you will probably find is more like a day dream. No spare tyre if you have a flat & in you continual trips "--riding back and forth from arizona to california almost every weekend--" is asking a bit to much. For on week-ends if you do have a flat then, as I pointed out there is no spare, like a cage, & you will find leaving the bike somwhere on the highway (open for being stolen) to bum a ride to the closest garage will be usless for they do not carry tyres or service m/cs AND m/c shops are not open on Sundays & in some cases some are not open on Saturday to some not being open on Monday.

So the bike breaks down for some strange reason. You are with the same problem of above. So you possibly get the bike to a m/c shop on a day they are open only to find they are booked for most of the week. Finally they get at the bike & point on what was wrong, considering you know it is more for you had a sort of accident (you have to dream it will not be some serious injuries as very little protection on a m/c for it is not self-balanced like a cage), only said parts will take a few weeks to get in & once they all arrive then they will start working on the bike. Possibly you might have waited four weeks & they still have not finished. For m/cs are NOT like garages. You see primarily they are looked upon as a "fun vehicle" & not a all year around means of transportation like a cage.

Also I can assure you most people do NOT consider a sportbike to be a comfortable bike to ride for 5 to 10 hrs. True there are a number of us that grew up riding m/cs many yrs back & somehow we can not only handle sportbikes, but are hardened to where we can ride 5 to 8 yrs with no sweat though it took some yrs & a lot of years of experience.

I think you should be thinking of something very different to a sportbike being what will be your first & everlasting means of long travelling some 5 to 10 yrs.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I think you're looking a bit above your head. Also, if you're going to do long trips, you're going to be miserable on a race-rep.

Suzuki SV650 is a little less aggressive, the Kawasaki ZZR 600 would be better bets, and even the Suzuki Katana is pretty comfortable on longer trips. All these bikes are PLENTY powerful enough to get you in trouble. They're actually borderline for a first bike. There's plenty of reasons why the Ninja 250 & 500 are hailed as great first bikes(which you can find by searching).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Smitty said:
For on week-ends if you do have a flat then, as I pointed out there is no spare, like a cage, & you will find leaving the bike somwhere on the highway (open for being stolen) to bum a ride to the closest garage will be usless for they do not carry tyres or service m/cs AND m/c shops are not open on Sundays & in some cases some are not open on Saturday to some not being open on Monday.

So the bike breaks down for some strange reason. You are with the same problem of above. So you possibly get the bike to a m/c shop on a day they are open only to find they are booked for most of the week. Finally they get at the bike & point on what was wrong, considering you know it is more for you had a sort of accident (you have to dream it will not be some serious injuries as very little protection on a m/c for it is not self-balanced like a cage), only said parts will take a few weeks to get in & once they all arrive then they will start working on the bike. Possibly you might have waited four weeks & they still have not finished. For m/cs are NOT like garages. You see primarily they are looked upon as a "fun vehicle" & not a all year around means of transportation like a cage.

I didnt even think about all these problems. Well, maybe I will be better off getting a rice burner or something.:barf: . Thank you all once again and I will look at the other bikes suggested.

·
Registered
746 Posts
To add to what Smitty said: I have been riding on the street for around 6 or 7 years, I took a 3.5 hour trip on a yzf600r and wanted to die. Then about a year later I rode from San Diego to Las Vegas, 5 hour drive in a cage tops, took me 8 hours. Making a long story short, the whole trip felt like a hair dryer was blowing on me, the last two hours I would "drift off" and snap back to reality and realize I had passed 5 exits. I shouldn't of been walking much less riding a bike. I was stopping every 1/2 hour to drink a 32oz gatorade and lay in the shade for a bit. I was a sad, sad sight when I got there.

So just buying a bike to "cruise" to AZ every weekend is a very bad choice. You will end up attempting it once and about an hour in you will be cursing yourself for being so reterded.

Smitty has the advantage of being so old he can't feel anything anyway, so can get away with 10 hour trips. You say bathroom breaks he says "depends"....:twofinger

-M-

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
mstrand_68 said:
Then about a year later I rode from San Diego to Las Vegas, 5 hour drive in a cage tops, took me 8 hours. Making a long story short, the whole trip felt like a hair dryer was blowing on me, the last two hours I would "drift off" and snap back to reality and realize I had passed 5 exits. I shouldn't of been walking much less riding a bike. I was stopping every 1/2 hour to drink a 32oz gatorade and lay in the shade for a bit. I was a sad, sad sight when I got there.
Run that one ONLY at night.:thumb: :)

Way better off to start on an EX-500. JMO

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
A decent cage would be the best for you are well protected in it & besides no extra for protective riding gear, only turn on the winshiield wipers when it rains. The "cage" slang comes from the protection in a car plus being self-balanced.

One I tend to say, every so often if you have a small fender-bender with someone else & you car. It is a matter of who is in the wrong & you hope the other has insurance. If it is the same of the vender bender with a car & you on your m/c WELL the bike will be damaged to some extent or totalled & you might wake up in emergency along with them trying to touch up your road rash & sad news if you have a broken leg, but fortunately no internal injuries. The M/C? They have no idea & you will have to make contact with the Police.

Also when tired & riding the m/c you have to find a comfortable place to rest up, also a washroom & other things I keep on forgetting. While in a cage you can pull off to some side-road & even take a nap. It could rain & you would not wake up & have to get on your rain gear.

There is so much to riding & keeping a bike in balance that someone could almost write a book on it. Still mstrand_68 gave you a shortened version. Remember you not only have to LEARN to ride the m/c, but have to toughen yourself to riding long distances & against all conditions. Not something you catch onto in the first or 4th run.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts