Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you guys are about ready to puke from all these newbies asking what bike they should start out on and if its too much power and what not.. but ive been looking at the zx-14 simply because its the biggest and baddest. ive heard it hits the 200 mph mark. the only thing ive ridden is dirtbikes and i was wondering how much different this thing would be to start on than a 600? i realize throttle response is gonna be quick as hell, but if you get on the thing knowing this and do everything smoothly, youd be fine right? constructive criticism only please :D

·
Registered
659 Posts
Okay, even if you can handle the power, take it slow etc., etc., you ARE going to drop it. How are you going to feel when you stand up off the pavement and look down at your $12000 pride and joy lying on it's side while you wonder just how bad it's broken? That alone should make you want to start on something else. Couple that with the fact that any bike is going to be the "biggest and baddest" for only a short period of time. Remember that the Hayabusa is due for an overhaul. You are choosing your bike for the wrong reasons.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Is this a joke?
Buy that bike, and before the end of the year, your loved ones are either going to be sobbing over your coffin, or wiping the drool off your face and carting your around in a wheelchair. Is that constructive enough for you?

·
Registered
515 Posts
golfskiplay said:
I know you guys are about ready to puke from all these newbies asking what bike they should start out on and if its too much power and what not..
Not to the point of puking, but personally I am getting a little sick of it. This first statement shows you've read through the newbie posts and already know what we want to say... which makes me wonder about the next part of your sentence:

golfskiplay said:
...but ive been looking at the zx-14 simply because its the biggest and baddest.
If your profile is correct, it seems that you are only 18 years old, you don't wanna risk dying before you hit 21 and w/ that mentality I would suggest you steer clear of bikes. If bigger is better, get yourself a 300 lbs girlfriend and parade her around, be pround you ride the biggest and baddest chick on the block. :twofinger

I think you already know what most of us will say so please reconsider that ridiculous idea (this is my constructive criticism)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Motorcycle fashion accessory

If you like wearing motorcycles as hats, then by all means, get yourself that ZX-14.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I KNOW that guy!

Wait a minute....... aren't YOU the same guy that needed all the medical advice when rashing yourself all up after crashing your 50cc Yamaha scooter?

Now you're asking about the feasability of a ZX-14 as a first-time streetbike? :eek:

A ZX-14 can inflict a level of pain on you many times greater than what you've already experienced! This post would be absolutely hilarious, if it wasn't for the fact that somebody's life is potentially at stake.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Wow, we seem to have an influx of mis-guided noobs.

I think I might enjoy the time to come on this forum, for JBaz is gonna have a lot of project bikes to work on. Not counting his current collection, he has a ZX-10 with its ultra-fine atomizing fuel injectors with 43mm throttle bodies, and now a ZX-14 on the list to restore.

JBaz: Looks like you might turn into a kawi guy after all. With all these new super fast bikes, can I have your RR? :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Make sure when you buy the 14, that you lower it, extend the swingarm, and add NOS. I would not bother buying any gear or taking the msf either. Buying gear only hides your identity. How is everyone going to know its you on that badass bike if you are wearing a helmet?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
lateott_156 said:
Wow, we seem to have an influx of mis-guided noobs.

I think I might enjoy the time to come on this forum, for JBaz is gonna have a lot of project bikes to work on. Not counting his current collection, he has a ZX-10 with its ultra-fine atomizing fuel injectors with 43mm throttle bodies, and now a ZX-14 on the list to restore.

JBaz: Looks like you might turn into a kawi guy after all. With all these new super fast bikes, can I have your RR? :)
I might beat Jbaz to the ZX-14, I've already bid on a few wrecked ones off ebay. Golf, when you wreck it please spare the frame and the rear swing arm, I don't want to have to completly replace all of it:twofinger

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok yea i did wreck a scooter, but you dont know the circumstances. Im actually a pretty proficient dirtbike rider. Does anybody know when the new busa comes out? What makes you think ill drop a zx-14, the weight or what? Basically i guess i just dont get it. You can kill yourself in a civic just as easy as you can in a corvette. Just because its faster doesnt mean you have to go faster. Im looking for a comfortable sportbike to take long distances, ive heard busas and that zx-14 are more like touring bikes. Correct me if im being a totally dipshit but thats how im thinkin.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The general train of thought on these forums is you will wreak it because you can't handle the power of the bike. Things happen so fast, you will not be skilled enough to correct. Say you are going around a corner and hit the gas a little early. On a 600, it will just lerch a bit, but on a 14, your rear wheel will spin out and you will high side. Thats just one example of the difference in power. How much dirt bike experience do you have? Do you race? Do you win? I grew up racing 125s and then 250s. When I decided to go to street, I jumped on a R6. I didn't have any problems with it. Learning how to go slow was the biggest obsticle. I have sence upgraded to a zx12r, and the learning started all over.

By the way, I am selling it if you are interested.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
psudy said:
By the way, I am selling it if you are interested.
Your selling your r6? how much? what year?

So is it that easy to spin the rear wheel of sportbikes? you make it sound like all you do is give it gas around a corner and youll highside.

No i dont race dirtbikes but i take mine to the track just about every weekend. ive got a 250 thats setup to run 117 octane racing fuel in it. So its by no means a slow 250.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
bikes have 2 wheels, so they fall over. You want to compare to cars? ok, think of it this way, how many times have the wheels inadvertanly lost traction? Just that touch of a chirp? Count each one of those times as a crash. A bike like a zx14 will spin the rear tire on demand. It will often spin the rear tire, simply from getting on the gas, no clutch involved (or at least a liter bike will). As lean angle increases, traction decreases. So its a whole lot easier to spin the tire leaned over, than it is going streight. So here you are leaned over, with a touch too much gas. Or maybe you hit an oil slick. Or some gravel. Or whatever. your rear tire is spinning, can you notice it? How long before you do? Cause if the answear is more then half a second, you done dropped it. What do you do once you notice it? Let off the gas? Congrats you just highsided.
What happens when it comes to braking? Can you handle a front wheel slide? What if it turns sideways (and it will, and you will crash)? Or you get on the gas, and the front tire lifts. No wheelies, just a quater of an inch over the ground. And it hits a small rock, like a piece of gravel, or maybe a crack in the road? And now the bars are wiggling from side to side violently getting worse each time. within a second they should shake violently enough that they will come out of your hands. Half a second after that the steering will hit the frame stop and you crash again.
What happens when some jerk off pulls in front of you in traffic (and they will)? What if you loose traction over a painted line? What if you need to stop, but there is a coke can in the road that you hit with your front wheel and lost traction? What if you get a touch to fast in a corner and apply the rear brake? What if you downshift in mid corner and the rear tire locks up?

And we havent even got to doing anything real stupid yet. Look around the archives there are plenty of vids of people crashign their bikes doing really innocent looking stuff. Like coming out of the dealer parking lot.

·
Registered
264 Posts
No, I am selling my zx12r. My wife is pregnant with twins, so the bike has to go(she says).

Yes spinning the tire is that easy on liter bikes. It breaks lose, you let off, it grabs hold, you eat pavement. Never done it, never want to either.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Going easy on the throttle is always the answer and seems like the logical answer to somebody who hasn't ridden a bike much. While that seems very logical, it doesn't hold water. And it's NOT just the temptation to use the extra power, although that's a real issue, too. It's WAY too much power and the inexperience will invite the moves of the inexperienced which, when those moves find their way to the throttle, which will happen, then your fate's in the hands of luck. Most people who don't heed the advice will be back later to tell their personal story of how it bit them. Some of them are pretty funny... in a twisted kinda' way. ;)

If you're going to ask and then argue the advice away, why ask in the first place? :confused: And if you want specifics, forget it. The stories are varied and could fill a volume of books. The common thread is how the power was unleashed and wreaked havoc. Good luck, really.:)

·
Registered
351 Posts
He's selling his 12R, not an R6.

My advice to you is this;

Ride your scooter every day;
Don't buy a Race Replica Bike;
Don't buy a ZX14;
Don't watch Speed's "Superbikes;" and
Live past the ripe old age of 18.

If you still want an R bike after a year, that's 365 days and not one less, then look into a 600cc bike that's a few years old.

I have no interest in reading in the newspaper another story about a young boy (because you are) who snuffed out his own life because he was trying to ride a bike that was WAY TOO #$%^@!& MUCH for him.

Later,

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Newbie ZX-14

Golfskiplay,

Actually, you and I have some things in common. I started my riding career on a 49cc moped. After that I moved up to an 80cc bike. 2 years later, I bought my first "real" bike, a Ninja 600R. (By the way- 20 years ago, my top of the line 600 made about 63 rear wheel horsepower- now they make 105+) Anyway, I had that 600 for 7 years and rode the wheels off of it. I learned a lot before stepping up to a ZX-10, and then subsequently to my current ZX-11, which I've been riding for almost 11 years now. Vash very accurately described many of the possible things that can happen when riding. I've had a crossed-up front end slide happen when I hit a barely perceptible coating of sand in a corner. I've had the rear end step out on corner exits. I've had the rear tire spin wildly over some freshly painted center-lines while passing a car. The rear tire spins at will, in multiple gears if there is any water on the road. I can't even count the number of times that stupid cage drivers have almost taken me out. But you know what? I've survived all of these incidents while never having crashed the ZX-11. You know why? Because of all the experience I had on those previous smaller bikes. I have absolutely no doubt that if the ZX-11 had been my first bike, I would be dead. No doubt whatsoever. My bike makes a measly 135 rear wheel horsepower and 80 ft./lbs of torque. The ZX-14: about 175 and 105. If you don't have the necessary level of experience to handle that kind of massive power, it will absolutely end up biting you. Badly. That's a fact.

My point is this: unexpected shit happens, all the time, even to us experienced riders. And unexpected shit will continue to happen. It's my experience on smaller, easier to manage bikes that has allowed me to grow as a rider and sharpen my skills before stepping up to a much more unforgiving machine. When the unexpected does happen, it's a lot easier to deal with on a machine that you are comfortable with, confident on, and are able to appropriately handle.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Honestly, the first post sounded like a joke. A current user creating a new profile to mess around. Just say that it is. Please.

I've heard it all before, but this thread is making me think I should downgrade from the ZX6... :confused:

Does my brothers Vespa cross-over into experience for a 636? Maybe I should pull that guy out for a while.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Liquified said:

Does my brothers Vespa cross-over into experience for a 636?
According to Rossi, yes. Thats what he started on. All you need to do is eat, sleep, dream motorcycles, train every second, and with a whole lot of luck and the proper genetics, you might just be the next world champion.

I mean... what else you gotta do?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Golf, my money is with the rest of them. Even my older 750 will spin its rear if you aren't on the ball, and there are 600's that make more HP than it does. I haven't been riding to long, I also went against most the rules and started bigger than what was reccomended. I regret it. I've droped my bike twice in the 8 months that I've been riding, and many more times just in parking lots and garages. I also fractured my shoulder blade in a wreck not to long ago due to inexperience. If I could sell it for what I put into it and get something small, I would. The learning curve is massive, even with older RR. I'm not a stupid rider, I don't stunt, I take it fairly easy for the most part, but it just takes one dick up and your out. I've spun my rear wheel many times just from not seeing something in the road and loosing a bit of traction, and trust me your arse puckers up real fast when you realize it. I wasn't new to riding bikes either when I started. I'd ridden some dirt and scooters and what not, but this is a whole different world. Take the advice from the people on here, they know what there talking about.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts