Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in love with this bike i think it is so cool. It looks sweet. I was just wondering what you guys thought of this bike? Would it make a good first bike? Just wondering what you guys thought cause i am new to bikes and really like them and i really like the older bikes. thanx

·
Old Guy
87 Posts
If you're talking 1975-era Z1, it was heavy and felt like the frame had a hinge under the seat. A classic, but not a good bike by today's standard.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The early 80s Suzuki 450s had an early Italian look. They need jetting, if not done, makes a good start. Kawasaki 500 s more popular (4 valve water cooled vs 2 valve air cooled).
As a learner it is all but guarranteed you will drop your bike, usually in parking lot or low speed.
Would you rather start finding parts or repair on vintage Z1 or common 450?
Draw backs tube tires, modest headlight by today standards.
If you can trust your self Ninja 650 or SV650 are excellent bikes and weigh less than 400 lbs dry.
Late 70's Honda 750 made close to 65-70 hp, The Z1 a few more.
Ninja 650 is 65 hp, SV650 about 70-75.
The Honda weighted 550 Z1 more.
Come the day, a ZRX1200 might be fun, but not soon.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Yeah, I like the old Kawi Z1's too. I especially like the later model Z1R's and the hard to find Eddie Lawson replica Z1.

Anyway, an old Z1 wouldn't really make that great of a starter bike- very heavy. However, if you like that kind of vintage look and would like something in a much more manageable package for a beginner, try looking for an 81-83 Kawasaki Gpz-550. They're great bikes: Incredibly durable/reliable, relatively light, powerful (for their day), pretty decent handling, cheap, and easy to find. The 84-85 Gpz had swoopier bodywork and a quarter fairing- great bikes too, but not quite the vintage look you're after.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Z1 is the bike, which is revealed by Kawasaki at the end of year 1972. It is four stroke bike of kawasaki and it becomes popular at that time. It is the superbike at that time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts