Sportbike World banner

81 - 100 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
DaveL said:
Hi ZX11heaven,

Your bike looks great, as always, even if a little out of focus. Nobody here has much exposure to the Flo-Commander. A lot of discussion about jet kits, flat spots, and other situations easily corrected with it. Have you added the filter yet? I think it's a good idea, and it seems to help too.
Hey Dave I am not gonna tell you how good your ZX looks (again) ;) Are you reffering to the 'blue tube' when you say filter? I have the basic kit and it took care of the infamous flat spot at 4k and gave me a little boost in power. I intend to keep the factory exhaust and stock carb jets because I really like the daul exhaust and the bike has more power than I will ever need:eek: I am sure I could take anything short of a modified Busa or ZX12 anyway and thats fast enough for me!

Sorry about the pic, it was the only one I have w/the Ninja decal removed. Heres an older pic (in focus)

·
Registered
301 Posts
ZX11Heaven,

Through more testing they found that adding a small filter on the Flo-Commander inlet helps in several ways. It provides a 'dead air' envirnment at the inlet which goes a long way to eliminate any disruptive effects of air entering the FC. I never really liked the idea of the blue inlet tube. Where do you run it? How can you determine what what works best? And finally, if it is placed. or falls to the bottom of the airbox, it may pick up any oil from the crankcase breather. The filter eliminates all this grief. It also greatly reduces the velocity pressure drop as the incomming air tries to inter the standing or projecting inlet. The filtration aspect is axctually of no concern as the airbox filter needs no backup.

In case others don't know what the heck we're talking about, this is the Flo-Commander set up on my ZX-11.

·
Registered
54 Posts
BobbyDazzler said:
Just picked this one up from a really nice guy called Akira:D
Low miles and never been dropped...
WTF is that thing? Did we have a little fun with PaintShop???

·
Registered
14 Posts
DaveL said:
ZX11Heaven,

Through more testing they found that adding a small filter on the Flo-Commander inlet helps in several ways. It provides a 'dead air' envirnment at the inlet which goes a long way to eliminate any disruptive effects of air entering the FC. I never really liked the idea of the blue inlet tube. Where do you run it? How can you determine what what works best? And finally, if it is placed. or falls to the bottom of the airbox, it may pick up any oil from the crankcase breather. The filter eliminates all this grief. It also greatly reduces the velocity pressure drop as the incomming air tries to inter the standing or projecting inlet. The filtration aspect is axctually of no concern as the airbox filter needs no backup.

In case others don't know what the heck we're talking about, this is the Flo-Commander set up on my ZX-11.
Nice setup -very clean! I will try the filter as you described. It makes perfect sense to me, thanks for the input Dave!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Nektoinphx

I'm not sure if your asking about the photo of my Flo-Commander or if your talking about some other post. The Flo-Commander is one of the best ideas to come along in a long time. They have a web site, if you’re interested, [ www.flo-commander.com ]. This thing does about 10 times more than a jet kit. I like jet kits too, and on this bike I even installed a set of FCR-41 smoothbores. Big bore kit, cams, oversize SS valves, Dyna 2000 ignition, Falicon supercrank, porting, etc, but the Flo-Commander has considerably greater impact than any of these other goodies. I've installed a bunch of them, and every time the bike owner can't believe the difference. With a jet kit it’s usually something like "yeah, I think it's a little better", or "well, at least the flat spot is pretty much gone". With the Flo-Commander it's more like "My God, it's unbelievable, it's like a different bike". My own bike picked up 10 hp at only 5,000 rpm. I like to see a jet kit do that. If you like I can describe how and why it works in another post.

·
Registered
54 Posts
DaveL said:
Nektoinphx

I'm not sure if your asking about the photo of my Flo-Commander or if your talking about some other post. The Flo-Commander is one of the best ideas to come along in a long time. They have a web site, if you’re interested, [ www.flo-commander.com ]. This thing does about 10 times more than a jet kit. I like jet kits too, and on this bike I even installed a set of FCR-41 smoothbores. Big bore kit, cams, oversize SS valves, Dyna 2000 ignition, Falicon supercrank, porting, etc, but the Flo-Commander has considerably greater impact than any of these other goodies. I've installed a bunch of them, and every time the bike owner can't believe the difference. With a jet kit it’s usually something like "yeah, I think it's a little better", or "well, at least the flat spot is pretty much gone". With the Flo-Commander it's more like "My God, it's unbelievable, it's like a different bike". My own bike picked up 10 hp at only 5,000 rpm. I like to see a jet kit do that. If you like I can describe how and why it works in another post.
No, sorry, I was referencing the picture of the green sportbike on page 2 or 3 of this thread. The bike has no pipe, and no shock... It looks like somebody had a little too much fun with paintshop and tried to post it as if he owned such a thing.
Flo commander sounds cool. How much are they? How much to install it on a 2001 zx-6r?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Nektoinphx,

The Flo-Commanders sell for about $139. Maybe a little more or less depending on the model. They really aren't all that difficult to install, and the instructions are first rate. The only sticky spot can be removing any main air jet restrictors, as installed with some of the DynaJet kits. There are special instructions for this as well, but as I said, this can still be tricky, especially for someone not mechanically inclined. Just don't be in a hurry, if you have to remove these. This is one of the reasons I always recommend installing the Flo-Commander before a jet kit.
The adjustment knob on top of the valve is a mixture adjustment which works throughout the entire rev range. This is especially handy for making those seasonal adjustments, beneficial on some machines.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nektoinphx said:

No, sorry, I was referencing the picture of the green sportbike on page 2 or 3 of this thread. The bike has no pipe, and no shock... It looks like somebody had a little too much fun with paintshop and tried to post it as if he owned such a thing.
Flo commander sounds cool. How much are they? How much to install it on a 2001 zx-6r?
that picture is a old photochop that was supposed to be the new zxrr. akira is the guy that gets to race the real thing i think.

it was a joke. i laughed.

:greenflam

·
Registered
27 Posts
i have a totally stock 500R with nothing really insane to show off so i just photoshopped me and it in a game that i play all the time :p

·
Registered
301 Posts
ZX10BURNER,

You know it's kind of funny, but for the first few years there's nothing like polished frames and all that stuff. But when a bike starts to acquire 'classic' status, the closer to stock the better, with maybe a few select enhancements, like those great looking jet-black wheels. The great thing is, you don't have to do anything but take care of it and keep it rubber side down. Beautiful bike, ZX

·
Registered
37 Posts
DaveL,
It's an 89 and has just over 32,000 miles on it. Have to agree with you on the wheels, the Dymags give it the right look. Kinda has that brusier bust your ass look!!!! Thanks for the kind words Dave, not too many appricate a true "superbike" as it was back in the day. Tried to give the bike an understated look everything seems to flow well except for the can which just screams in looks and sound!!!! I wanted to be different so went with "loud" can..:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
heres my baby......2k zx9r.....mica paint, flush lights and rear stalks, with a rear cowl. Full muzzy and jet.......dropping a tooth up front in the spring:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
ZX10BURNER said:
Hope you guys have room for a "Old and slow" ZX-10.... Think DaveL and a few others might recognize my bike not too much too it!!!!:D :D
A BEAUTIFUL and classic ride 'Burner. I'm not bettin' any pink slips it's "slow" either. Mamma 'Flyer didn't raise no dummies!

·
Registered
186 Posts

Looks a little different atm. It's naked. I'm about to polish the frame. When I'm done I'll post new pics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice.

Hope you like my new toyfriend :) Just bought it import from Germany! Longing for the summer so I can take it for a good spin! right now it's down on power to 100hp but I will be putting it to original soon enough (122hp).

·
Registered
52 Posts
The DJ's 636

Still a work in progress, because I tend to spend money before I actually HAVE it...

81 - 100 of 212 Posts