Sportbike World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy my first bike and I have had a hard time finding anything around my area for a reasonable price (ie. something close to NADA) . I have been looking at FZRs, F2s, F3s, Bandits, Ninja ZX-6s, etc but have not been able to find anything within my price range $1000-$3000. There are a few FZRs that book for 1000-1500 but people want $2500 for them WTF. Anywhoo I finally found a 92 Katana for $1250 obo. He says it's in great condition and runs great. I am thinking I should jump on this one but wanted to check with you guys and see if this is a good bike and if there's anything anything I need to look for when I check it out. Thanks guys....Later

·
Registered
604 Posts
I had a Katana once....

I re-entered the world of sportbiking on a 2001 Katana!;) I had a few years of street experience prior to that and some dirt experience also. If I am not mistaken, the Suzuki Katana, around that time frame, used to be the bike to beat but was on its way to more of a sport touring role!?! I don't see why you couldn't use it as a first bike. Even though a '92 would be lacking in power by todays standard, it is still a bike that could get a newer rider in trouble if he or she wasn't respectful.;) Good luck with your decision and welcome! Be safe and go ride!:2cents: :thumb:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be very respectful of whatever bike I buy. I plan on taking the MSF course before I start riding on the road. I've ridden my buddy's 2002 SV650S briefly and that's all i took to light a fire under my arse. I've wanted a bike for a while, my dad has anywhere between 3 and 5 bikes depending on what month it is:D just nothing a beginer can ride. Anywhoo I think the Katana might make a decent starter for me. Now if I can just get a hold of the guy selling it........

·
Registered
604 Posts
SV's are nice too.......

Now that is a bike that warms my heart!:thumb: The MSF course is more than a novel idea! Take advantage of any additional training that you can get! It will pay off in the long run!!!! Trust me!;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
The katana is alot like the sv650, it just has more fairing. if you can handle the sv650, the katana is a fine choice. If you feel its just a little too much, check out a ninja 500 or suzuki GS 500.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I went and looked at the bike this afternoon and everything looked real good. I gave him a deposit and will be picking it up on Sunday morning:D For $1250 I got him to throw in the jet kit, an almost new Joe rocket mesh jacket, and a helmet (this'll be my spare). I'm pretty excited about it. I'm gonna do some parking lot practice on sunday and get my Permit on monday. I'll also be taking the MSF course the next time it's offered. I was surprised how clean it was for a 92. The guy took real good care of it and kept it in his living room :eek: I'll post some pics when I get it. Thanks for all the help guys......Later

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the 92 Katana. It's pretty sweet considering it's an older bike. It has a Jardine exhaust on it and sounds pretty mean:D. I can't wait to start riding it.....Later

1 - 9 of 9 Posts