• Katana 600

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
What exactly are you asking? Which color scheme is the coolest? Aren't Katana's air cooled? You might want to think about that before you tour on one, especially in hot climates.
David

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah surreeeee, I am also asking how completely blind you are. j/k I am asking which one would be better for touring the 750 or 600. Of course I wouldn't ask which color scheme!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Pity they dont make a red one, it would stay cooler.:) haha.

I have no info on air cooled bikes, so now I'm wondering would they get hot in 90 degree weather? I'd think stop lights could be bad, and why wouldnt they make them water cooled, is there an advantage to air cooled?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Um... for touring... bigger = better as a normal rule of thumb... Don't quote me for touring WITH turns ;)

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm a katana owner

I currently have a 99 katana and yes its red! dig dig. anyway i live in a hot climate region it quite frequently hits 40 celcius approx 100 farenheight in the summer i ride my bike hard regardless of outside temp. My point is i have never experienced a loss in power or had any diffuculty in starting the bike back up after feuling up (restart when hot) The katana has SACS (suzuki advanced cooling system. Air/oil cooled engine. the engine has cooling fins on the casing and i experience no overheat loss of power. The air/oil cooled engine has been around for quite some time as it was in the early gsx-r's, and as a result i figure its a very reliable system. as its been here as long as it has. ask yourself ....why would they keep using an engine if it didn't work or perform in all conditions a rider may put it through? Because it is a great engine. I like the 600 personally but that could be biased as i own a 600 (go figure). It has enough power to get you in lotsa trouble. the down side is it holds 4.5 litres of oil and makes the oil changes a bit more expensive. also if you want a wheelie machine the 600 isnt what u want. But if you want a good comfortable sport tourer a katana is the way to go regardless of the cc you choose. Ask Katana600 he is quite the authority on katanas.

if you have any more questions that may be more specific about the katana message me.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tristan ever wanted a bike and didn't know what to choose? ok then!!!! I am in the same boat!!! I have been stuck inbetween the Kawasaki ZX-6E and the Katana 600. I have no clue as to what to get because I have never been able to ride them. You on the other hand are old enough to test ride.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Either will do a darn good job.

Larger will have a bit more punch & torque. The Katana just offers a BETTER riding postion & a bitr less power compared to the latest GSX-R 600, 750 & 1000cc bike. Personally I would not hesitate to buy a Katana, but have a Yamaha 600 & Honda 929.
As for all this fuss about an air-oil cooled engines remember a few yrs back that some of the fast trottinng Suzy GSX-R-750 bikes were air-oil cooled & ran like a bloody charm.
The Penticton rider is telling you the truth as it becomes darn hot up in this area (it is next thing to semi-desert like terrain) & this is when I had several air-oil cooled bikes. I would not hesitate to have one again as they were trouble free.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I live in AZ. It gets hot here sometimes:rolleyes: ;) Over heating is never a problem.

Oh yeah I havent the clue if my ride is air cooled/oil cooled:) I just ride and I dont get caught up with the RPM, HP, PMS, Flux Capacitor etc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm usually not the one to throw Harley's into the equation, but if thousands of air-cooled big twins can sit in God-awful amounts of traffic "cruising" the streets of Daytona Beach, I dont see cooling being a major issue.

BTW, I ride an air/ oil cooled Kawasaki ZR7S. I commute, tour, sport-ride, etc. without any problems.

Ken

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I feel the 750 is a lil bit too much to lift upright, will this be a problem when riding? Also, I will be traveling wiht the bike to California next year, thats why I posted that. The 600 feels great, but, what's eating me away inside is I can't decide from the kawasaki zx-6e and the kat 600. to me the kawi feels too light. would it be ok from florida to cali? the pic is a red 750

Z

·
0 Posts
Neither, get a Bandit! But if I had to choose a Katana I would get a black one, preferably a 750.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts