Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been checking out this site for a while, and no one has said anything about the Katana. I am looking at all bikes but, I would like to hear any opinions anyone has on these. Any opinion on the Katana 600 would be much appreciated. Thanks.

John

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Heh heh, there's been plenty of Katana "discussions", it's just that they've been deleted after turning into flamefests.
My opinion? There's nothing horribly wrong with them, there's just lots better choices. In their heyday (mid-late 80's) they were great, but the new ones are just the same old-tech bikes wrapped in hideous new plastic.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've riden one, and personally I think they're just horrible. There is something about the way that they steer that is just not right.

I don't really like the engine either - it's got a bit of balls down low (which is strange) and doesn't like being anywhere in the vincinity of the redline. Not exactly inspiring.

Just my opinions of course. You may ride it and love it. I much prefer the CBR. They're worth the extra money!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Katanas are pretty nice bikes, however, you wont hear that at SBW too much, and most of the guys here hate them.

They are extremely comfortable over distance (CBR's, ZX's arent even close in this area), have good touring range, and handle exceptionally well. They arent the most powerful bike out there, but they are still quite fast, and will get you into trouble just as easily. Kat's are easy to modify, as there are a bazillion 'go-fast' parts available, and they are easy to work on.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Well Blackbird, I dont know what to tell ya.....

After riding 2 hours on an F4, my back and legs were killing me. After 3 hours on a Kat' , I'm only a little stiff. The ergos are much better on the Kat, for reach, seat height, and leg room.... At least for a 6' tall rider.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thats because they are a more sport touring bike rather than a "sport" or "super sport" bike. Suzuki's contender into this field is GSXR 600.

People may disagree, but the Katana (GSXF) is more like a VFR than a CBR. If you know going into it that they are not a sportbike but rahter a touring bike, they do alright.

Long distance on the GSXR, R6 or to a bit lesser of an extent CBRF4i will have you both singing high notes and needing a good massage while the Katana will be more doable.

When trying to compare them on a track or a canyon, thats a different story. Its like comapring a standard 2 door coupe to a 911.

Know what you are looking at before you try and compare them.

S

·
0 Posts
Griff said:
Katanas are pretty nice bikes, however, you wont hear that at SBW too much, and most of the guys here hate them.
We don't hate them, I had a deposit on a 00 Katana 750 ... Then Quickly sobered up ... ;) :D JUST KIDDING !! Very cool bikes ! Like a VFR but cheaper.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I own a 2001 Kat6 and find it very fulfilling. In my case, I couldn't afford alot of money but wanted something new to ride. For the price you can't really beat the Katana, but that is my opinion. Not only that, but the plastic looks great compared to the Katana's of yesterday. I get compliments every where I go by other riders and nonriders. Performance, well, that is something you are going to have to work on yourself. Off the showroom floor, the Kat is only pushing 80 horses and that is probably a forgiving number, again in my opinion. Never fear though it is an easy bike to add to. There are nonessentials that you can discard to lighten up this gangly beast(458 dry) and performance parts everywhere to give you some added horsepower. I've got good plans for mine.
In all I think that the Katana is a good bike for those of us who have been away from the road for awhile or the fairly new rider on the street. Oh yeah, it is pretty easy on my back too! Good ergos for a sport/tour. Good luck and endless waves!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I own an '01 Katana 600 as a second bike and one that my wife rides. Everyone that pounds on it is ignorant and not using their head. For what it's designed for and for the price it is a very good bike. If you want a cutting edge sportbike that handles like a dream...look elsewhere...not debate here. But if you want a fairly good handling, inexpensive, easy to work on, comfortable sport touring type bike WITH a gas gauge (gasp!)...the Kat is it.

Don't say it sucks because it isn't something it really wasn't made to be in the first place...that's just silly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Katana

I bought a Katana, then sold it the NEXT DAY and bought a CBR6F4I, like I should have:D. There are folks who don't care to have the hottest thing on the road. If you're one of those people, then it doesn't matter - get the Katana.....the rest of us will be on Gixxers, CBRs etc etc. One sales guy ( thankfully after I had sold it) said to me that a Katana is a JET SKI with wheels....I couldn't put it better.......what a lug! :barf:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Katana's
engine is bulletproof, great
handles like riding a pig..
my god, i think its the ugliest thing on the road, especially the new ones...

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
130 Posts
FWIW, I'd rather have an SV650S (which I do own) or a Bandit. The Katana needs a serious revamping. The Bandit seems to have all the positive aspects and isn't buttugly.

·
Registered
312 Posts
BTW, the Katana has basically the same engine technology as the Bandit.

Jeeze, you guys just don't get it do you? :D If you revamp the Katana (ie. spend NRE for engineering and tooling), you place it into a higher price point competing with the Gixxer 600. Why would Suzuki do that? Not everyone is interested in a racier (and more expensive) SV or GSXR. The Katana has sold boat loads and will stay relatively the same or be eliminated.

For a small bore ST (and it's price) it perfectly fine.

I LMAO at all you racerboys who think everything has to weight 400 lbs, be made out of carbon fiber, titanium, and magnesium, and be cutting edge to be a good bike. :D :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
No, I think you misunderstood me. The concept behind the bike is fine. I just wish they would re-work the body fairings a bit to give the bike a more updated look. I know the Bandit is the same tech, it is just that I like the way the Bandit looks better. And I think the SVS is even better than that. All cosmetic, but I agree the concept of a less expensive sports-tourer is great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own a blue Katana 600 2000. Well ll it does now is lie like a dead dog in my garage. You want to know why well let me tell you.
I have put 20186 Km on the bike and to my dismay two bearing on the crank shaft is worn out. I really loved that bike last year but ever since the begining of this season I have grown to hate it. Its just because it has so many problems that it makes me want to blow it up sometimes. so I just threw it in my garage where it will rot for a couple of years and I went and got myself a nice beautiful F4i and have not regretted it for the last 5000 Kms.
Many people seem to disagree with me about this particular bike but all I have to say is I will never ever trust a suzuki again, cause its worst than any women that I have known in my life.
:finger:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
A few facts:

In 1988 the Katana was the 600 Super sport champ.
The engine is from the air-cooled GSXR lineage, need I say more.
The Katana line has been around since 1982.
The newer Katana style started in 1998. I agree that it is a style that you either love or hate.
In my opinion it is a do all bike. It is NOT a racer replica.If you want that get a GSXR.
I have put over 17 hours in one stretch on my bike,how many of you can say that!!!( And I have have a birth defect in my back that causes me some horrible pain often!)
I just came back this summer from over 1100 miles of fun!!:):)
I feel badly that Suzuki has added weight to the bike and has lowered the horse power over the years tho'.
Factory spec the 1992 I ride turned an 11.92 quarter mile the new 600's only go 12.18 in the quarter mile and the weigh 22 pounds more.
On the plus side there are tons of hop-up parts available to up grade the Kat cheaply and easily.
The Kat IS a do-all bike, be it sport-touring or a spirited ride with your buds. Comfortable for two up riding or one.
I have over 23,000 miles on mine and bought her new. I'd love to get another bike,but, I would also keep the Kat. It would be hard to part with my first love!!:):):)
Feel free to email me with your questions if you are interested in getting one or ask UFO about his too!!

JIM

1 - 20 of 41 Posts