Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright - As some may know I am not a big fan of Katanas. But as enthusiasts of sportbikes we all owe a debt of gratitude to Suzuki and this designer of the 1982 Katana. Unveiled at the 1980 Koln motorcycle show in West Germany,the Katana had the most aggressive styling of any sportbike in its time. It was what really started the racer replica machines that we are lucky enough to ride today. Who designed this motorcycle?
In what years was it imported into the states?
What size was the engine?

S

·
0 Posts
cbr600f4gd said:
Hey McFly - yes that is what we are talking about here. What was it called in '83?
Who cares, Katana's suck! :D ;) I don't know ...

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
EEWWWWW!

"Pee Wee Herman...
50 CC's..."

Hey Texas Tornado:
Aren't those statistics from Pee Wee's infamous movie theatre episode....???(The person...the year....the....um...........?):eek:

Jim:D

·
Registered
328 Posts
You kids today...

Hans Muth designed the original Katana. In 1983, there was an 1100cc version sold here in the U.S. The '82 1000 model was all silver, with aluminum-colored engine cases. The '83 1100 had blue trim added to the silver base paint, and the engine was blacked out. There was also a 750 version in '83, which looked the same, except the paint was orange instead of blue.

They also produced some 550 and 650 models, which looked similar, but without the fairings.

After that, the "Katana" designs started to become bastardized, resulting in the ones that you all know and hate today.

The originals weren't met with universal approval, but they were groundbreaking and quite striking in their design.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
RCjohn said:
chris_y2k_r1 said:
Jesus AZ - Do you have a T1 line in the back of yo' head? Just plug in and download...
No he doesn't but I think he has one of each model in his big ass garage. :D:p
don't forget the ones that actually live in the house.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts