Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Squid
2019 Ducati Monster 1200s
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YEAH, First you need to take the plastic off before installing filter, it works much better :D :p

------------------
John

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by jk6672 (edited August 17, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
When I had my jet kit installed I bought a new STOCK air filter for that very reason. I was told by Dynojet tech who put my bike on the dyno to stay with stock. :D

------------------
Dan F4 Red/Black

·
Registered
3 Posts
Last night I installed a K&N air filter on my 99 GSX-R600 and the hestiation was unbelievable. From the low to mid range the bike was so boggy it was unrideable. This is after I had the dealer richin the mixture for me on account of this. With the stock filter the bike screams with speed. When I asked the dealer about the air filter he said that through his experience the filter actually flows less than the stock filter. I've heard this from other riders as well. The hesitation supports the fact that there is less airflow which then results in a richer combustion.

Any ideas???

------------------

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think that why they stink, is cuz you have to keep them oiled lots. But know that I think of it, my F3 ran better on a stock air filter, same with the old Suzuki.

------------------

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well my experience with K&N airfilters is that they rock. I put one in my 1995F3 and she had a bit more down low and a whole lot above 8000. I put the filter in at 10,000km's and never washed or oiled it. At 17,000km's She still ran fine.

------------------
Keep Your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked!

[This message has been edited by TheToy (edited August 17, 2000).]

·
Registered
66 Posts
i put the K&N on all my bikes, that and change the pipe are the first things i do to them, i never had problems with K&N

------------------

·
Registered
36 Posts
If the K&N was restricting the air flow, then why did you have the dealer richen the air/fuel mixture? The reason behind the K&N is that the filter area is actually smaller than the stock to richen the air/fuel mixture because of the E.P.A. making all of the restrictions on carbs. Now your bike is probably running way to rich.

------------------
Jacob
"Kornkid"
Better to be a racer for a moment than a spectator for a lifetime.

·
Registered
3 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kornkid:
If the K&N was restricting the air flow, then why did you have the dealer richen the air/fuel mixture? The reason behind the K&N is that the filter area is actually smaller than the stock to richen the air/fuel mixture because of the E.P.A. making all of the restrictions on carbs. Now your bike is probably running way to rich.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had the delaer richen the mix due to the fact that I thought the K&N filter would of provided me with more air flow, thus the ratio of air to fuel would increase. Due to some strange reason the ratio decreased, aka got richer.

I talked to K&N about it and they said that maybe there is too much oil on the filter from the factory and then I should clean it.

------------------

·
Registered
36 Posts
What kind of bike do you have? To get everything dialed in perfect, take it to a yamaha dealer or any shop that has an E.G.A. machine. If it isn't a yamaha, you will need to put riv-nuts in your exhaust. Put your bike on the E.G.A. machine and you can dial your carbs in perfectly.

------------------
Jacob
"Kornkid"
Better to be a racer for a moment than a spectator for a lifetime.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Changed to a K&N plugs went from dark brown to cream color.Bike idles smoother,runs stronger and doesn't burn your eyes with exhaust.The dealer doesn't like K&N cause he
can't sell you more filters.Would wear one if they made it. Later dudes.

------------------
Steven G. Knecht
1991 VFR750F
1989 RX-7 GTU

·
Registered
987 Posts
I use K&N on my Vette, used it on my 11, and will put one in the 12 as soon as they start making them. It is possible to make them restrictive by overoiling, but generally they will always perform better than stock. One notable exception is on D model ZX11's. It may well be that in this particular application that stock is better, but like the fellas said - without a dyno or EGA you really can't tell for sure.

------------------

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you put in a K&N. There will/should be an increase in air to the engine. If you dont richin the mixture to match the new air amount then doesn't this mean you leaned the mixture? As far as i know you want the mixture to be as lean as possible to max out the power. A leaner mixture will increase the engine temp but were talking about swapping an air filter not adjusting the air screw on the carbs. you should be going faster as far as i see it.

------------------
Keep Your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts