Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I just joined the forum tonight, and I felt like introducing myself.

My name is Joe. I have never ridden a motorcycle before. Ever. My father used to have a motorcycle when I was verrrry young, but he sold it because he thought that riding was too dangerous in our area.

I go to the University of Rhode Island where most upperclassmen live off campus, mostly in Narragansett (about 10 min away). A lot of kids ride motorcycles to commute. That's cool, and I want to do that when I get a house next year, but that's not my main interest.

I think sportbikes are awesome. They look/sound awesome, and it's the cheapest McLaren F1 speed you can possibly buy.

I've been staying up late for the past week or so and doing tons of research. Any opinions and input would be helpful. Here are some things I've found out:

1) The Busa is awesome.
2) Motorcycle safety courses are great.
3) 600cc is a good displacement for a beginner who wants to go fast.
4) Buy used bikes in the winter for the best deals.
5) Frame sliders can save your ass when it comes to $$.
6) Bikes can have turbines (Y2K - WOW)

Here are some bikes I've been keeping my eyes on:

Suzuki GSX-R600
Suzuki SV650 (I think I like the I4's more, though - High end revs and sound)
Kawasaki ZX-6r
Kawasaki ZZR600
Honda CBR600rr
Honda CBR6004i

Yamaha's are sweet too, but I've been looking through the classifieds all over the place, and they seem to be the most expensive out of Suzuki, Kawa, and Honda, which are pretty much the only manufacturers of sportbikes with I4 engines (Please correct me if there are more).

Sometime next month, I will be taking a motorcycle safety course in Rhode Island, and I plan on waiting to get my learner's permit until I come back to Connecticut for next summer's vacation.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. I'm a Volkswagen fanatic, and I've been around the forums for a while, so I know that joining a forum is the absolute best way to learn about anything. Thanks again.

-Joe

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
First, welcome :cheers:

jukesandz said:
I think sportbikes are awesome. They look/sound awesome, and it's the cheapest McLaren F1 speed you can possibly buy.
This was actually a good part of what drew me in, originally.

jukesandz said:
I've been staying up late for the past week or so and doing tons of research. Any opinions and input would be helpful. Here are some things I've found out:

1) The Busa is awesome.
2) Motorcycle safety courses are great.
3) 600cc is a good displacement for a beginner who wants to go fast.
4) Buy used bikes in the winter for the best deals.
5) Frame sliders can save your ass when it comes to $$.
6) Bikes can have turbines (Y2K - WOW)

Here are some bikes I've been keeping my eyes on:

Suzuki GSX-R600
Suzuki SV650 (I think I like the I4's more, though - High end revs and sound)
Kawasaki ZX-6r
Kawasaki ZZR600
Honda CBR600rr
Honda CBR6004i
It does appear to be a shame that reading of the New Riders forum here on SBW and the associate stickies were not included in your research. That is the place you should start.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I read 'em. That's actually a really good write-up there. I just had some more specific questions. About the VW thing, I know by now what I should be looking for on forums, and I (try at least to) use the search as much as I can. I know how bothersome it is to see a million threads about the same damn questions (like "Should I get a diverter valve or blow-off valve for my turboed car?" - Should never be asked in a VW forum haha).

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
jukesandz said:
No, I read 'em. That's actually a really good write-up there. I just had some more specific questions. About the VW thing, I know by now what I should be looking for on forums, and I (try at least to) use the search as much as I can. I know how bothersome it is to see a million threads about the same damn questions (like "Should I get a diverter valve or blow-off valve for my turboed car?" - Should never be asked in a VW forum haha).
Ok, well that's good. Then what exactly are you looking for suggestions on? Clearly it isn't choice of first bike and the other standard-issue wisdom can be dispensed with. Specifics :confused:

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
jukesandz said:
...3) 600cc is a good displacement for a beginner who wants to go fast...
Er, no. 600cc is NOT a good displacement for a beginner who wants to go fast, unless he wants to die young.

Seriously, mate, "beginner" and "fast" should never be used in the same sentence when it comes to sportbikes.

Do some more research; this time on the Kawi 500cc twin. THIS is where you should be starting your riding career.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm, I see. You're the first person to tell me that 600cc's is too much.

The thing is, I don't want to end up wanting to sell my bike after a year or so because I feel it's gotten too slow on me.

Also, after taking a MSC, you don't think I'd be ready for 600cc by the Spring?

I don't want it to sound like I'm disagreeing with you because frankly, I just can't; I don't know enough yet. I just find it interesting you think 600cc is too much.

What other bikes like the Kawasaki 500cc twin should I take a look at? What are some of it's competitors?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Check out the Kawi and suzi 650 twins. Both great starters. If you buy used, you can sell for what you bought it for at the end of the season and buy the super sport you always wanted

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Is the Suzuki SV650 a pretty sweet bike? My buddy suggested it.

*Edit
I see a crapload of threads including the SV650 in the "New Riders" section, so I think I'm gonna start doing a lot of research on this bike. I would have rather owned a 4 cylinder rocket, but some people are saying a 600cc sportbike is too fast for a beginner, and from what I've heard, a V-twin of about the same displacement will still be damn fast and easier/more comfortable.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
The SV is an awesome bike. The twin makes great power down low, instead of needing to rev the sh*t out of it like a 600. Many guys are using them as track bikes, so they'll definitely keep you interested for a loooong time.

PS - At the risk of sounding like I'm flaming you (which I'm not), only ignorant new riders think they'll outgrow a 500cc bike in no time. An experienced rider on a 500 will whip a newb on a 600 all day long. :2cents:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
You're probably right. When I start out with my permit, I'll probably try out someone's V-twin, and it'll probably feel rediculously fast for me. Upon looking up the stats for the SV650, I discovered that it can aquire 60 mph in 3.7 seconds or so, which is faster than the fastest car I've ever been in (2004 Lamborghini Murcielago [3.8 seconds]), and even with a measily 70 bhp (and I use that word lightly), it's only a second or so slower than the GSX-R600 if I remember correctly.

I would've liked to get a high-revving motorcycle because the sound makes me die in enjoyment, but I think I'm jumping ahead too much, and I'm going to have to settle on a V-twin, which I've discovered aren't that slow in comparison. The low rumble is growing on me too. :D

One other thing, though. I love the look of these high-revving sportbikes too, but I've noticed that there is an SV650s version with the sporty looking fairing, and they are soooo freaking rare. However, I've seen you can buy "jet kit" fairings to aquire this look I like so much. How difficult is the install (Bolts right on as a replacement, I'm guessing)?

Thanks, guys, for all your help.

*Edit
I did some research, and I think I'm WAYYY off on the name of that fairing kit (I think a "jet kit" is some kind of engine tuning or something), but I hope you guys understand what I was trying to explain. Sorry for my newbness. :(

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Hehe. Yep, people just don't realise how quick "slow" bikes are, let alone the fast ones. ;) I spent 2 1/2 years riding our 250 before upgrading. I embarrassed the hell out of a lot of cage drivers and HD riders, too, in that time.

Yes, you can get lower fairings for the standard SV. Not sure about the installation, though, but I'm sure it's a piece of cake.

Glad to see you've decided to go for a safer route than jumping straight onto a 600. If you ride smart, you'll have decades ahead of you to get out there and ride any bike you want. Gotta learn to crawl first, though, before you try to run a marathon. Use your time on the SV to learn as much as you possibly can.

Ride safe. Rubber-side-down. :thumb:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
you are looking for a full fairing kits. They are available, pre-painted, from the factory for about $400-$500. Installation is a simple bolt on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Verewolf - Thanks for that write-up. I understand that realisticly the best thing I could do would to buy a 250cc bike for at least a year of use, and then if I wanted to, upgrade to a bike of greater cc's. Probably the best thing I could do would be to buy the cheapest thing I could find so that if it gets dropped, it's not such a hammerblow financially.
My reasons for wanting a 600cc bike definately weren't to impress anyone. I just want a pretty nice bike for self-satisfaction. Actually all of my girl friends disapprove, at least of sportbikes. Also, I'm definately not too big for certain bikes! I'm 5'6" and about 145 lbs. :laughing:
I now understand that this topic is the topic of choice by newbs, so I can understand why anyone could be irritated, so for that I apologize. It's apparent that this subject is like newbs asking about blow-off valves vs. diverter valves on the VW forums.

Cookeetree - Thanks a lot for your help. SV's are a lot cheaper too, which is great because I'm broke.

Vash - Aha, I see. So even if I'm buying used, I can still get the full fairing kit from the factory? Also, if I have the SV650, as opposed to the SV650s, what do I do about a new headlight? Is that supplied by the factory too?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
the fairing is for the S model. You can convert one to the other, but it will cost more than its worth

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Another newbie alternative

For 2008, Suzuki is just introducing a new 4-cylinder sportbike which should be ok for newbies- The GSX-650F. Like the SV-650, it should put down about 70-75 rear wheel horsepower. So, with this bike you get the sweet wail of the inline-4 engine you've been lusting after, but with a more manageable amount of power for a newbie rider. And it comes fully faired.

There's no reviews or tests on the bike yet, as it is an 08 model. So it still remains to be seen how well it stacks up against the SV-650 or Kawasaki Ninja 650R, or if it will be quite as good a beginner bike as those two are. But the reviews should start showing up in a few months. On paper, it still might not be quite as good a beginner bike as those other two- it seems a bit on the heavy side, an inline 4 engine is going to be more peaky than a twin, and full fairings are costly to replace with the typical newbie drops that occur. Nevertheless, based on what you've posted here, it might be just what you're looking for.

Oh, and by the way, this must be the most mature and well thought out "which newbie bike should I get" post I've ever seen on this forum. Hats off to you!

Suzuki GSX promo video:

http://www.brightcove.com/title.jsp?title=1134010120&channel=1125929446

Spec sheet:

http://www.suzuki-bikes.com/2008-GSX-650F.php

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That bike is SICK, but I don't think I'll be able to afford the $7k price tag, at least as my first bike.:( And 475 lbs. dry is a tad heavy. But, I bet this bike would sell pretty damn well when it comes into production. Is pretty much the perfect bike for someone in my situation who is at least willing to spend the cash.

Also, thank you very much for the compliment!:thumb:

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
I think you should stick with the SV. They've been around long enough that you'll find a used one for a good price and you won't have any problems getting parts for it. :2cents:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I really like the SV, and they are much cheaper than other bikes I've seen. The only problem is that they are pretty rare compared to the Kawi 650 and others. As of now, there are only a couple SV's available in Connecticut/New York (I live very close to the border)and the S version is nearly impossible to find.:dunno:

I hope that more people sell their bikes throughout February-May, but to me, it seems like this (August or so) is the time of the year to sell. Or is it?

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
jukesandz said:
Or is it?
Major selling occurs at the beginning of the season (March/April-ish) and end of the season (Sept/Oct-ish) here in the upper Midwest. Since your season is shorter than ours I would assume more used bikes are avail in April/May and Aug/Sept.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts