Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a '00 929 RR, red and white. Had it 3 weeks but couldn't post cause I was out riding so much. I bought it from a friend who just got a silver/ black 954. It already has a Scott's stabilizer, Erion pipe, framesliders, flushmounts, and I just put a zero gravity tinted windscreen on.
I've been like a kid with a new toy everyday, until today. I failed my riding test at DMV, couldn't turn the slow circle w/out putting my foot down. Guess I should have practiced going slow, but it didn't cross my mind. I can burn out in a circle, but can't turn one slow.
Then I get home from the test about 2 hours ago to learn that I'm being laid off from my job. What a day! If the Kings lose 2night that's it, time to ride my bike off a cliff!!(just joking, kind of)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Re: Re: Just got my first sportbike!!!!

Anyone else get a bad feeling about this?[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, very bad. Good luck and learn to turn before learning to burnout and wheelie.:(

·
Registered
256 Posts
The "circle" part of the CA test is hard (and lame IMO). I did great taking the test on an old Honda 250 (whatever they are). Practice on your bike at the DMV now that you know what the test entails. My minimum SV turning circle diameter is only 2 feet smaller (at full lock) than the DMV circle. Better check the 929. The 250 was set up to idle about the right speed for the circle while dragging the rear brake a little (made it easy). Plus it is LOW making it easier to balance at slow speeds.

Good luck and take it easy.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Heh... here's a thought.... maybe it's a good idea to ride it on the bike you'll ride... 'cause if you can't pass the test on your normal bike, maybe you shouldn't be riding it normally :D Just gotta be a dick about it sorry.

But seriously, welcome to the world of biking man.

·
Registered
379 Posts
929 for your first sportbike? How do you walk with balls that big?:D

Only kidding man. Congrats, I'm sure you'll love it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I have to have the steering just about locked out the whole time for the circle at the DMV. I assumed it would be easier and didn't practice enough. I'm not used to failing drive tests, being a commercial truck driver. It really bummed me out.
I don't see the relevance in turning a tight circle w/out putting your foot down. Nobody's going to penalize you in the real world for using your foot. That's what I meant about burning out; it's just about as relevant as the circle test in deciding the skill of a rider.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Putting Foot Down

All sportbikes at a certain severe turning point at a slow speed want to literally, dive to the ground. It probably comes from the short wheelbase. Take the test in whatever bike it takes to pass. I took Fla's test in an old Goldwing. Tester said I did better than most. Practice slow speed stuff without putting foot down. Even lane changes go better if you just about stop the bike then change lanes before the cutoff point. Sportbikes are extreme technology, probably not the best to take test on.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Re: Putting Foot Down

DIRTYCURTYD said:
Sportbikes are extreme technology, probably not the best to take test on.
...or to learn on for that matter. :rolleyes:

Please take it easy. You can certainly learn to ride on a 929 and become a good rider as long as you keep your head about you. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
591 Posts
What's the problem?

Tyronin said:
I failed my riding test at DMV, couldn't turn the slow circle w/out putting my foot down. I can burn out in a circle, but can't turn one slow.
So practice burning out in a circle with both feet on the pegs, then go back and show the DMV yur stuff! I'm thinking they probably give bonus points for executing a slow turn in this manner. :rolleyes:
As an added bonus, ya won't haff to worry 'bout sportbike steering lock limitations.
Damn...must I think of everything? :eek:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Also, keep in mind you want to keep your body upright and lean the bike. The opposite of turning at high speeds; leaning with the bike. I found it easy once I tried this; almost lifting my arse a bit and leaning the bike while keeping my torso upright.

Go with what works though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That technique sounds good. I'll try it 2night when I practice.
tomorrow's my last day at my job, got laid off. I plan on taking the motorcycle maintenance course at city college. I'd much rather be a bike mechanic than a truck driver. And they make more money.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts