Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well sorta... A 2001 kaw. zx6r, my first sportbike, man what a friggin rocket compared to my old bikes, i couldnt believe how quick this thing is, and i havnt even hit its top yet, i dont know how you guys can handle 900's or even liter bikes, they have to be ungodly with the power..

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really cant fathom the power of a 900, im shitting bricks of from the power of the 600....

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Awsome, isn't it.:D

·
Registered
269 Posts
The 900s and larger have the same power if you twist the wrist - about 5000 - 7000 RPM lower, depending on the displacement. Yes, they have more power still at 11,000 RPM.

Ain't motorcycling grand?

cdma2k

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I take it you've been riding some other stuff for a while. Good move. Maybe you could help to support the advice often given here about NOT starting on 600 or better.

Anyway, take your time and progress slowly with it. Ain't it FUN!:thumb:

Congratulations!:)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yes its defintaly a must to learn to control a bike before you ride on the street, i've been in dirtbike a long time so controling it was not a problem in that sense, but it helps to have a summer of riding under your belt before your ride side by side with cars, last year i would have said no way to highly conjested areas, but now, i dont have much problem but i still watch people like a hawk, when i can..

ps- yes the 600 would be quiet a gutsy move for a newb, i now too dont recommend starting on one, i thought hey its just a 600 but no, it'll beat 90% of the cars on the street today no problem, so i understand the reasoning behind the madness.. Just buy an old beater for your first bike, you probably will drop it, im a pretty smart and hands on guy and i dropped mine, i couldnt believe it.. I had a center stand on my older bike, put it up on that, the blacktop caved in cuz it was soo hot that day, and it just fell over, broke my mirror off and all, glad i did it with that old junker rather then the new bike..

·
Registered
6 Posts
the 600 can be a handfull i rode a zx6 for my first 3years of riding
learnt a lot on that bike,the move to the zx9 was nice but i still
love the 600`s.a guy at work just brought a gsxr 1000 first street
bike lets wish him luck.i told him bikes go down and its usually
the rider skills dont match the bikes ability i learnt this the hard way.he said he use to ride dirt bikes .i told him i rode dirt bikes
when i was a kid but that pavement sure does hurt .i have a
sister inlaw who wanted to ride so she brought a 2003 r6 she
was taking a motorcycle safety course but the r6 was to much bike for her she tried riding against me and other guys some who
had 15+ riding experience,crashed and now permently disabled.
so always ride at your skill level and take it easy.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, you brought up another good point, self control. Some people dont know their limits, or do know them, but they arent looking down the road and acknowledging what could happen if their limit is broken, I used to do this when i first rode snowmobiles, all my friends would race through trails, and they all had better, newer faster sleds then i, so i pushed and pushed and pushed and finally got into accidents, not serious but, ones that could have been avoided if i knew my sled couldnt keep up. So now i have a newer sled, and all that sled control i had to learn with the older sled helps me out today, and now all my friends eat my dust no matter what sled they have... This is why i would recommend starting on a smaller bike, but ride alone or with someone who will guide you instead of try to race you....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts