Sportbike World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got all my gear, I just finished the MSF, and I won't actually have the money for a bike for another 6 months. By then it's gunna be the raining cold season again :(

Although, there has been some really cheap Ninja 250's locally, but they're early 90's, I'm not sure I'd want a bike that old but the price is right. I'd like to get a ninja 500 or a GS500, but those are going about $3500 locally, so there's a bit of wait for me, heh. Are bikes close to 20 years old going to have a lot of problems with them or are they pretty reliable so long as they've been treated well?

The MSF course was awesome though, I can't wait to get a bike of my own and do some of those exercises some more.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
My '84 did require some maintenance that was more than a 10-year-old or younger bike would not have required. How much is hard to define, but one example was setting the valve clearances and I'd bet that costs a couple hundred at a dealer at least. Basically it depends on how much maintenance the previous owner had done already. Nothing really broke on my first bike unless I laid her down and in hindsight, if I hadn't wasted some money on aftermarket pieces that may or may not have had any real effects, I'd have had more for repairs or the next ride.

Typical things you'd have to do on any bike include tire changes, brake maintenance, fluid changes.

EDIT: Congrats on the MSF completion!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts