Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
Vash said:
Why does a spam bot introduce itself?
Not sure what you're asking here Vash. This is one of the major limitations of the web. I don't know if you're asking a rhetorical question to poke fun at the new member, or if you think it's a valid member and you're questioning my assessment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,798 Posts
mkeeney said:
Not sure what you're asking here Vash. This is one of the major limitations of the web. I don't know if you're asking a rhetorical question to poke fun at the new member, or if you think it's a valid member and you're questioning my assessment.
I'm not questioning your judgement at all, I agree, thats a spam bot. I just dont understand what this spambot is trying to accomplish. Most offer you porn, penis enlargement pills or free ringtones. This new breed offers you nothing. Its content to just come by and say hi. Is it programmed to wait till someone PM's it, and then its going to respond with the ussual lines, or are we so conditioned by spam that we no longer have to have it mentioned to us, and just seing an incredibly fake sexi nick is enough to make us want to buy porn?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
Vash said:
I'm not questioning your judgement at all, I agree, thats a spam bot. I just dont understand what this spambot is trying to accomplish. Most offer you porn, penis enlargement pills or free ringtones. This new breed offers you nothing. Its content to just come by and say hi. Is it programmed to wait till someone PM's it, and then its going to respond with the ussual lines, or are we so conditioned by spam that we no longer have to have it mentioned to us, and just seing an incredibly fake sexi nick is enough to make us want to buy porn?
The only thing I've come up with so far is that it's an attempt to be accepted on the forum before posting spam. I don't know what that would accomplish since they would surely be banned as soon as they posted spam. Perhaps it's an attempt to make contact with and gather info from members?

In any case, I sent a PM and an email, so I'll report back if I receive anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
892 Posts
im as confused as you are vash. it makes no sense. your gonna get banned the first spam post so why not just post it and get it over with? maybe computers have developed AI and this is their first attempt at comunication.....that seems like the only logical explanation.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,346 Posts
Meat_Shield said:
im as confused as you are vash. it makes no sense. your gonna get banned the first spam post so why not just post it and get it over with? maybe computers have developed AI and this is their first attempt at comunication.....that seems like the only logical explanation.:D
Skynet has become self aware and it's just a matter of time before the machines unleash Armageddon upon the human race.

And it all began here, at sporbikeworld.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
892 Posts
zxrider said:
Skynet has become self aware and it's just a matter of time before the machines unleash Armageddon upon the human race.

And it all began here, at sporbikeworld.com
im not gonna be responsible for the end of the human race...i may have to move to the compound in the mountains....completely disconnect......this may be farewell....i swear the first bionic arm and im running for the hills!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
I think the idea is that when this bot posts it's spam and gets banned there will be at least 20 more waiting that are not banned yet. I suggest that the site setup the first avatar picture named A1 with a pic that says I'm a Spam bot, ban me!

I don't remember if there was one when I joined, but those random pics of letters and numbers that you must type into a box work really well also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,400 Posts
For the few yrs I have been on the m/c boards we have a lot of people that discover the board & come in to introduce themselves, well sort of. They love where they can put down something about total milage they have done on their m/c & that will be the last of them yet again a poll is something they like to register on the board & put down their vote for said bike to be in a red colour or possibly black or whatever.

Sometimes, by error, they have a question I fire it off to the wrong section & often that is it. Even it regulars on the board give them a sensible answer.
 

·
Strength and Honor
Joined
·
6,144 Posts
Let me wear my black-hat for a second.

Some forums have security controls in place the disallow PMs for a set period or number of posts. This is one way I would get around that. Further, I could setup an application that would use the logins to determine when the admins and mods are not around so that the delay required by the forum between posts/PMs could be managed while maximizing the number of these that I could flood the system with. There are other reasons but this would be my main goal.

Adding more and more controls just becomes onerous for actual people and fails the cost/benefit. I doubt we'll see any significant changes.

Ok, black-hat off :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,798 Posts
I like the "I'm a spambot ban me" avatar idea...
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top