Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen the little "third light" above the headlights on the new ninjas, and on a few other bikes? I was wondering if this has any purpose, and why is it there??

·
Squid
2019 Ducati Monster 1200s
813 Posts
WOW! I guess I'm not the only one out that dosen't know. Never cared to ask because it is a Kaw :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
it's a yourapeeon thing ! the RC51 has them too, but do not have lights or wires going to them on th USA models

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
oh god

It is a visual safety feature. It is used in Europe where daytime running lights are not required on motorcycles so that the bike can be seen better by others, ~"not so that you get light in front of your tire". LOL

The reason its on bikes in America is for cost savings. They just put it on all bikes rather than make different cowlings.

And, BTW, CBR900RRs have had it since their introduction.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
The RC 51 has a place you can install the "eyebrow" light sockets. They are up and outside of the headlights. There are directions on RC51.org on how to actually install sockets and wiring. Some have actually incorporated the turn signals into them. :cool:

If I remember correctly, the center light was required in a couple of the European countries(ie, France is one). I believe in the early 90s the light was installed and was a strobe light for added visibility. It has never been required in the states.

·
Registered
367 Posts
3rd eye

It's a parking light in the US and a DRL in Europe. Turn your ignition to park and it will be the only light on up front and the taillight will be lit in the rear. It's only 5 watts so it doesn't do much else. :p Katana's have them and we use them as our flash-to-pass light. Now, if I could only figure out how to make it flash on-off-on:rolleyes:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:)

ok.. they're good for what I thought they were good for... LOL Thanks for the replies, I've always wondered that!! :)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I've always understood they were to make sure,at nite,especially,on coming traffic knew it was a motorcycle coming at them and not a car with a burned out headlite......
Jim

·
Registered
367 Posts
katana600 said:
I've always understood they were to make sure,at nite,especially,on coming traffic knew it was a motorcycle coming at them and not a car with a burned out headlite......
Jim
How would it do that? A car coming at you does not see that little light at more than 25 ft. away. Unless, you have some weak, weak, weak headlight or headlights.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts