Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have we spoke about this show yet? If so, just humor me. I am at work and have nothing better to.
Any of yall seen it? They build some of the coolest things. If you haven't seen it 2 teams of 3 with an expert in the field they are competing in have one day to build whatever the project is. Most efficent wins, ie fastest, farthest etc. It takes place in a HUGE junkyard somewhere, England I guess, and they scavenge all sorts of crap.
They have had a couple where they used motorcycles. Once a BMW? was used to make a boat. It was mounted in the inverted roof of a van. Motor and shaft drive used as a inboard/outboard motor basically and the rudders were attached to the front end of the bike via pulleys. Nice fast little boat to transport people. Of course, the competition sunk their pontoon boat made out of barrels, if I remember correctly. Then the bike/boat came around and picked up the competition.
There was also one where they used a ZX11? motor to power a home made offroad buggy to race around a track.
And of course both won!
I think it would be badass to be on the show competing.
Man, I need to get out more!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Kinda like the MacGiver (whatever his name is) of the junk yard,eh? Ive seen really neat stuff on that show too...

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I've got a guy that works with me who would be perfect on this show (he has a forge in his basement...nuff' said). He routinely scavenges junkyards and has come up with some really cool s**t. The only problem is that he has to climb a telephone pole to steal cable in order to watch the show and he just hasn't gotten around to it yet. Oh well...

·
Registered
263 Posts
I love that show seen every epsiode the best are the cannon , catapult, and the hovercraft challenges

My dad and I have been doing stuff like that for years.
we are lucky enough to have a scrap yard only a few minutes away (they know us by name) we built every thing from sandrails to windmills.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cannon one where the projectile was lodged in the barrell and caused the cannon to die? Didn't the actual barrell seperate and go 10 feet or so? That was to funny. I felt bad for those guys.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
That show is a blast. They used a CBR motor in a handbuilt rail dragster and beat a V-8 Ford(?). They were doubting the Honda powered car when all along I told the wife, "Never bet against a motorcycle engine in a drag race." :D

The hovercraft episode was great. Especially when the guy crammed himself into the mud in the turn. :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
RCjohn said:
That show is a blast. They used a CBR motor in a handbuilt rail dragster and beat a V-8 Ford(?). They were doubting the Honda powered car when all along I told the wife, "Never bet against a motorcycle engine in a drag race." :D

The hovercraft episode was great. Especially when the guy crammed himself into the mud in the turn. :D
John, I thought it was a FZR 600, I may be wrong, but I just saw it a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i'm watching the show now.. and man does it rock :D

RCjohn said:
accually that was a fzr motor. (i saw the side of the engine and it said yamaha). and the v-8 was a buick engine out of a 80's regal. i think that was one of my favorite episodes. i laughed when those firemen were talking s**t and then got thier a** whooped. (well not exactly whooped but it was embarassing)

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Fizzman said:

John, I thought it was a FZR 600, I may be wrong, but I just saw it a couple of weeks ago.
Yamaha, Kawasaki and Hondas have all been used for challenges. They have built dunebuggies, dragsters and I believe hovercrafts all using different motorcycle engines. I don't remember which was used for what though but I don't remember ever seeing the motorcycle powered units get beat. One of the V-8 powered units used a CBR fuel tank for gas though. That just isn't enough Honda parts to do the trick. ;)

·
Registered
766 Posts
Just saw the one last night where the two teams laid siege to each other's castles by launching pumpkins at them. I can't believe how much velocity the compressed air cannon was getting with just 20 psi of air pressure! They were launching pumpkins with some serious air time!

·
Registered
42 Posts
tryouts....

For any of you that want to tryout for junkyard wars go to the TLC website(www.tlc.com) an check out junkyard wars.....it said something on there about trying out to be on the show.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts