Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a niece graduating High School in Los Angeles around the third week in June. May make it into a ride. If I do, I wouldn't mind saying Hi to some folks along the way. I would spend a couple days in LA and do some canyon riding there. I need a new Rock Store shirt.;)

Probably head out of Pittsburgh on I-70 at least to Colorado, then maybe angle down through Four Corners and on into LA or just stay on 70 through Utah, down through Las Vegas and in. Depends on timing and mood. Return would probably go up through Salt Lake to Yellowstone then east through Wyoming and South Dakota, follow the river down to Council Bluffs, and back through Indianapolis. Nothing etched in stone yet. Anybody in those parts wanna' do lunch?:)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Dad, have you ever done that drive before? Sounds like you have. There are two ways you can go, Yea go down to the 70 all the way though CO. Now from PA to Denver is a boring ass ride, and I mean boring. Kansas is rolling hills and a straight line. Now once you hit Denver let the fun begin. One in to Utah you can stay straight on the 70 and go all the way to coast and take PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) down the coast of CA. that supposed to be a nice drive. Or you can turn left and take the 15 all the way in to LA. You will be going though Vegas. I have made the trip across the country from LA to NY 6 times. The best part of the ride is always though Colorado. All though one time I cam though Indiana during the day time. It was I think around June I could not believe how green it was there. If you have any questions regarding the trip let me know. I would like to take the northern route one of these days. Oh just so you know If you take the 70 all the way across to the Coast you add about I think 800 mile to the trip. So that is about another day. Are you doing this on your bike? I’d love to go with you, that’s going to be a long ride for a new rider. Be Carefull with the socal drivers they are nuts and have no regard for anyone else on the road unless you are about 20 times bigger then them

·
Registered
925 Posts
EdgeRanger said:
So that is about another day. Are you doing this on your bike? I’d love to go with you, that’s going to be a long ride for a new rider.
I wouldn`t exactly call him "new" ;)

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
Dad said:
Anybody in those parts wanna' do lunch?:)
Terrible Hole (Terre Haute) is right off of I-70 just before Illinois. I'm sure depending on when you go through Katie and I would love to meet up with you on the way out or back, or hell, why not both! :thumb:

Once you get more of the details hammered out let one of us know when you'll be cruising through. Hopefully we're not gonna be in any weddings, graduations, etc. :D

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
EdgeRanger said:
snip.....Be Carefull with the socal drivers they are nuts and have no regard for anyone else on the road unless you are about 20 times bigger then them
I think that applies to the Northern Cali drivers too....but the bonus is that when they are sitting in a parking lot that used to be an 8 lane highway, you can just ride right on through....:cool: :thumb:

·
Registered
460 Posts
wantanaprilia said:
I wouldn`t exactly call him "new" ;)
I should of add a but in there, but I was refering to my self. I lived in socal. For about 4 years and have friends out there.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EdgeRanger said:
Dad, have you ever done that drive before? Sounds like you have.
Yes, I've made those trips several times since 1980, always on a bike. SoCal five times. I've been in nearly every major National Park at least once, including Denali in Alaska, and some favorites as many as eight times. This trip will probably be a week+ with time spent at my sister's, so it won't be the involved tour that some have been. It's still tough to do all of that distance w/o a stop at some favorites, though.;)

I've done the LA area in two 1350 mile sittings before but will probably take three days each way, maybe four depending on sightseeing, with a few at my sister's place in the middle. The drive across does get boring between Pgh and Denver on the southerly route, or The Badlands and Pgh on the northerly route so I usually just get a good early start, run about 16 to twenty hours, and get that largely behind me. Most of the rest is very scenic. Oh, and run Vegas through Barstow at night. THAT is some brutal heat to ride in. I rode that through the day in 1981 and saw temps of 125.:eek: That was the last time for that!:)

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Dad, is this going to be another cross country ride in your same lucky undrewear again?

Those poor, porr undies...:twofinger

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
o|||||||o said:
Dad, is this going to be another cross country ride in your same lucky undrewear again?

Those poor, porr undies...:twofinger
As long as it's not my sister's turn to use 'em!:thumb: :p :D

·
Registered
925 Posts
If you`re gonna be anywhere near san diego, or even not, I think you`d enjoy the trip down, check out www.thepestilence.com and the video section, I think you`d enjoy palomar mountain... what I`d give to be able to make it out to Cali, period, but more so that mountain :(

·
Registered
159 Posts
When you pass by Dayton I'd be glad to meet up with you and spin down the road a piece. That's only about 4 or so hours from when you leave home, so I'm guessing you'd want to wait a while before stopping, but that's why I said I'd be glad to join you down the road for a bit. Anyway, let me know when the time gets closer.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yep, you can hang at my place in Littleton for a break. Give me an email a week before your in town. We could even hit a couple front range canyons. I put 48,000 miles on my 93 CBR1000F before I traded in for the bird. Might even have a few leftover parts. Stock windscreen, headlight bulb etc.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everybody.:thumb: I'll keep you posted.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts