Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Squid
2019 Ducati Monster 1200s
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems simple enough. Is there more work envolved in rejetting the carbs than it appears to be? Is one kit better than the other? I thought about going with the Dynojet kit for my bike.

------------------
John
http://photos.yahoo.com/jk6672

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Hey bro, go with Factory Jet Kit. It's the best kit going right now. I researched basically every kit on the market before going with the Factory. The others are OK, but wit Factory's motorcycle database and customer service, they are by far superior.

As for the work involved: it is a lot of trial and error. That's where the database comes in handy. You can find out what configuration other R1 owners went with for max power and start there. If you are pretty good with tools and your hands, then you shouldn't have too much trouble. The biggest pain is getting the vacuum diaphragms back into place, but once you master that, everything else is relatively easily.

Just be sure to keep the carbs clean while working on them and make sure you don't over-tighten the main jets.

Any more questions, let me know, and also let us know how it goes bro. Have fun and good luck. You'll LOVE it once you're done!!!

------------------
~Nick
2000 CBR600F4 -
Lost to the Blacktop God. 4,699 miles in under 3 mos. $8,300 worth of damage to my one and only baby. On the brighter side: Can you say 929rr???

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
There was a thread in this forum at one time
that discussed, in detail, jet kit installation.
It might be archived at this point but do a
search on jet kits and you should find it.
It contains several posts from myself and
LeonZX-11 (SP).

Chris

------------------
People come and people go - either way they don't do it fast enough.

·
Registered
169 Posts
i'm gona second CBR Brutha, i put a factory jet kit in my F4, they have great customer service, and the data base can save you A LOT of guess work, and hours from the job, on something like your R1, they will get you to your jetting, probably the first time. good luck.

------------------
texas tornado #2

jim

·
Registered
62 Posts
Go with the "Ivans needles" kit... he has done extensive research for the R1 and ZX-9 on these and provide the best fuel curves for these particular bikes. 2 - 4 hp gains over Factory and Dynojet. Plus, Ivan is a great guy and will talk you through it if you're having problems. Just go to the forum listed in a previous post and read some of the archived posts about his jet kit.

- Jeff -

------------------

Kahuna's Home Page
ICQ # - 14578052

[This message has been edited by Kahuna (edited September 22, 2000).]

G

·
just Remember ... Real men Don't Read the instructions!! :D

------------------
Watch out where those Huskies go , Don't you eat that yellow snow ....

Adam

·
Squid
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I asked my local yamaha service department about the Ivan needles and they said that they've never herd of them, but they said the Factory kit was the way to go. I was reading some of the post in the R1 forum that Marty told me to check out and with the Ivan needles there saying you need to do some crazy stuff, like drilling out the brass covers on the carbs and messing with the scews for the emissions and cuting a triangular hole on something to do with the air pump. A little out of my area of know how. Any input...

------------------
John

·
Registered
66 Posts
John,
I never heard about the Ivan needles either until the R1 forum. Up until then I was convinced that the Factory kit was the way to go. But everyone that has used them and put their R1's on a Dyno afterwards, swear by them.
About drilling out the brass covers (plugs) on the carbs and messing with the screws for the emissions, those are the Pilot screws. Even though I haven't installed any
needle/jet kits I still have drilled them out and reset the screws. This is real easy to do when the Carbs are off. By the way, from the factory they were not even close to being right. The Manual says the Pilot Screws are supposed to be 3 1/8 turns out. Mine were from 1/2 to 2 1/4 out! If you
are not careful drilling them out, you can go too far and actually turn the Pilot screws with the drill bit. I used a bit big enough that it gouged into the brass and they all just spun right out before the drill bit even broke through. I set them all at 3 1/8 and then put a vacuum gage on each Carb and turned them until I reached the highest vacuum. After it was all said and done they were all real close to the Factory
recommended settings. Of course after that you need to sync the carbs, set the idle and set the Throttle Position Sensor last. I have been doing that on all my carburated vehicles since the pollution laws made the manufacturers cap them.
About cutting a triangular hole on something to do with the air pump, I have no idea what that is about.
I just like "tweaking" on machines and
getting the most out of what I have, then down the road, I'll start adding "goodies" to them. :D

------------------
Marty

·
Registered
169 Posts
the drilling the brass caps out is no big deal, and has to be done so that you can gain access to the low speed adjuster's this is to adjust your idle mixture, you will have to do this regardless of what kit you go with.
as for the triangle hole,...???? i don't know, i didn't have to do anything like that to my F4,
on my F4 i had to change main jets, install neddles, drill out main air jets, and install new pilot jets.

------------------
texas tornado #2

jim

·
Squid
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
your right, nothing to it. I just used two different sized bits and when the 7/32 bit was in far enough I just yanked and out the plugs came. I think I'm going to try the Ivan needles, espesially because knowone around here has tried them, so I went 3.75 turns out sence he seems to recomend 3 to 4 turns. We'll see what happens.

------------------
John

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
If you had no problem removing the caps then
you shouldn't have any problems with the
jet kit. After the install I would try
and adjust the screws once again. As a rule
of thumb I turn them out (1 at a time) until
the bike starts to stumble and than back in