Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,
i am thinking about buying a jardin complete exhaust for my 94 600 f2. i am new to bikes and have not heard much about this brand. i am not sure the model exhaust system though. i am jusst looking for any general info about these systems. anything you have heard or experienced. please help thank you very much
mike

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
For the last 3-4 years they have been putting out some pretty high quality stuff. I haven't used any myself but have seen quite a few setups and the owners have always seem pleased with them. :cool: In the old days they supposedly sold alot of crap so that has kept some people skeptical. I would get Jardines but everyone on SBW would say I just bought them because Nicky Hayden and Miguel DuHamel use them. :D

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Pull apart any aftermarket exhaust, any it's clear that there's not a lot of high-tech engineering going on. Stock systems get complicated because they have to make acceptable power AND legal decibel levels, not easy!
What you should be looking for is visible quality in the fit, finish and materials. Look at as many pipes as you can yourself, check the welds and ask how well things fit together. Generally, I'd stay away from carbon sleeves, they're too brittle. Aluminum is great, SS is heavy and holds heat to well, Ti is nice if you want to spend the extra $$.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
My post count above REALLY makes me want to ride! Maybe by the time I get to 676 I can act on my impulses. Those of you who've ridden in SE OH know what I'm babbling about, the rest of you need to go to the HSTA website and mark your calendars for the "mail pouch fly by" to find out.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Tristan said:
Pull apart any aftermarket exhaust, any it's clear that there's not a lot of high-tech engineering going on. Stock systems get complicated because they have to make acceptable power AND legal decibel levels, not easy!
What you should be looking for is visible quality in the fit, finish and materials. Look at as many pipes as you can yourself, check the welds and ask how well things fit together. Generally, I'd stay away from carbon sleeves, they're too brittle. Aluminum is great, SS is heavy and holds heat to well, Ti is nice if you want to spend the extra $$.
So true. :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
one of my friends HAD a jardine on his F4 and it had a nasty flat spot at 8000 rpm! like a 15 hp on the dyno flat spot. he works at a bike shop and jetted it 3 times but couldn't get rid of it!!

that was just him and alot of people like them, but i'm not getting an F4 edition!

ps - the nice thing is if you do get a dud they will refund you.

P

·
0 Posts
MEHLMAN said:
he works at a bike shop and jetted it 3 times but couldn't get rid of it!!
Reminds me of that saying "check the nut behind the wheel." :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
not impressed with Jardine...

i have the aluminum slip on for my F4, and i kinda regret it.

there is rust developing inside the tip, and there is a leak where the muffler meets the pipe from the header. the spring clips dont hold the 2 pieces securely enough, and i have tried repositioning them a thousand times.

it also coughs, burbles, and pops, but maybe that's not necessarily the pipe's fault.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a jardine slip-on on my 929 and so far so good. But I think you said you are looking at a full system? So, you would probably see more power gains in a full. Being the poser:) that I am, I was mainly interested in the sound of the pipe, as the 929 already has enough power for me.

But the overall quality of the pipe seems good. The only problem I ran into was that that the bracket that attaches to the rear foot-peg needed some "adjusting" to properly fit around the pipe snugly.

have fun.
-jc

·
Registered
241 Posts
Jardine Exhaust, might want to look around

Jardine has only recently come to my attention due to the Honda Team using them. They have been better known for making fish-tail exhausts Harleys. They are kind of a garage shop compared to the other companies. I suspect that someone else designed the pipe they are building for Honda. I would recommend you look at the Leo-Vinci pipes. I have been very impressed with their quality and performance. I ended up ordering a Micron full exhaust for my RC51. Very high quality, excellent performance results and unique design that allows for easy re-pack. I have also had very good luck with Yoshimura and the Akropoviks are great but big bucks. Personally, I would stay away from the Jardine.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You should keep in mind the Honda factory bikes use special Jardine systems that are made to Honda's particular specifications. They may as well be HRC exhausts with Jardine labels on them. You can't compare the ones that Nicky Hayden or Miguel Duhamel use to the ones that are sold mass-market.

·
Registered
205 Posts
RCjohn said:
For the last 3-4 years they have been putting out some pretty high quality stuff. I haven't used any myself but have seen quite a few setups and the owners have always seem pleased with them. :cool:
Originally posted by RCjohn
Thanks for the info Rookie. It is good to hear from the people that actually own them
I agree with you 110% RC!! :D:p

[Edited by MEHLMAN on 01-15-2001 at 07:03 AM]

·
Registered
189 Posts
D&D

I know that many guys will disagree with me but I've got a D&D full system and it is awesome! The joints are not spring mounted so way fewer leaks than many others. It was easy as pie to mount. No problems getting it tight and leak free. The welds are perfect and you wouldn't believe the sound. Also put a home made stage one kit (shimmed neadles) and seems to make quite a bit more horsepower!!! No dyno test so it might also be SQUIDPOWER!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thank you everyone for the info. it is really great knowing that i can post a question and get input from you guys. being a newbie and all it is very much appreciated. thanks alot everyone.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Not to start an argument but...

The Factory Superbike exhaust in my experience(Kawis & Ducatis) are not that different from the race only systems you can purchase from places such as Ferracci, Muzzy, Erion, etc. On modern racebikes there is not alot of uncharted territory remaining with regards to exhaust systems. It is a science but it isn't rocket science. ;)

[Edited by RCjohn on 01-15-2001 at 08:05 PM]

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Jardine VTR report

I took a nice 150 mile ride today to test out my new Jardine slip ons. First off- the installation went pretty smooth, the only effort required was a little coaxing to get the left connector pipe to slide onto the factory header. The packing was good and the powder coating, chrome and polished alum. parts all looked perfect. It's a high mount system, but some alum. spacers are included to retain the stock pegs (moves them straight out about 2 inches). I opted to leave off the pegs and their brackets, saving a few pounds. The spacers were required however, to clear the brackets for my Ventura pack brackets.
I started it up, and there was an annoying high pitched rattle which seemed to be coming from the rivets. I also felt air leaks on a couple of the rivets. This went away completely after the ride, as some of the fiberglass packing was forced into the rivet holes. The sound is great, a lot quieter than the SS2R's I had, but still loud. The bike now "growls" (reminded me of an Aprilia) instead of the previous "bark". Since it was my first ride of the season and about 20-25 degrees cooler than my usual riding weather, it's probably unfair to judge the power. But... the low end response was much better, and the overall carburation seemed much crisper than before.
I'd reccommend these to any VTR owner, especially considering the price- only $323 ($340 w/shipping) from MAW. That undercuts the competitors low-mounts by $100+, and I haven't found any high mounts near that cheap.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts