Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is probably a topic that has been covered many times, but does anyone feel sometimes that its "us against the world". For anyone that has ever driven in Arizona, they would find that drivers speed, tailgate, make erratic lane changes, and do not pay attention. So imagine trying to ride in this chaos. I am coming home in one of our carpool lanes. As I am passing an SUV he decides that it is time to come into my lane. A move that I had anticipated. I easily escaped injury by accelerating past him. As he passed me later I pointed at my eyes and then to the bike as if to say," look for motorcycles A$$hole". This guy has the nerve to flip me off!!!! After I smashed his window, no just kidding...I was completley ballistic. Has it come to this? I felt like I wanted to kill him. He put my life in jeopardy, and then gives me the ole bird. One word summarizes this event "VIGILANTE". Has anyone ever gotten even, or calmed their demons, :)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Roundel said:
One word summarizes this event "VIGILANTE". Has anyone ever gotten even, or calmed their demons, :)
I know how you feel, cage drivers (especially SUV drivers) in Los Angeles are buttheads.:mad:
Smashing mirrors and windshields helps with the frustration of having to deal with dickhead drivers. Partially extracting them from their cage and pounding the crap out of them teaches them to stay away from motorcycles. ;) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Three words....

STEEL TOED BOOTS...

Need I say more?

Crude? Yes, Barbaric, maybe...

I'm selective about it, but I may have "inadvertantly", while trying to regain my balance, placed my foot square into the drivers door, creating a large crease/dent.

It was certainly an accident, officer. Had she not swerved her SUV/minivan directly into me, it prolly wouldn't have happend.
"I certainly understand" said the nice officer, and wrote the cager a nice "suite" of tickets.

Nuff said.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ok a couple of things the first is that I have always said don't give anyone the finger you are not ready to fight! You just don't know how they will react.

The next thing is that if you do decide to print that T-shirt I promise I will buy one!!!:D :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
Roundel said:
I felt like I wanted to kill him. He put my life in jeopardy, and then gives me the ole bird. One word summarizes this event "VIGILANTE". Has anyone ever gotten even, or calmed their demons, :)
D-Cell Batteries that inadvertently slip out of your pocket tend to bounce nicely into the front grill/windshield of the car behind you...also, a Daisy 250 pack of BB's makes alot of racket...

·
Registered
580 Posts
dealing with idiots

Roundel, this sort of thing happens to me all the time. Riding a bike in traffic means that occasionally or frequently you must react to poor driving by others that would result in your death. If this gets your blood boiling, maybe bikings not for you. Its going to happen again and again, trust me on this one, I know. You gotta stay calm. Most of the perps of this sort of thing are not out to get you but merely too self absorbed in their own little world to think of others. It would be nice if you could really retaliate, but its just not practical. Far more dangerous in my opinion are the deliberately hostile poeple who swerve close to you on purpose. If you havent met them yet, you will. Now if THAT gets you mad, it should! Also its worth mentioning that since I fitted my vtr with a pair of Jardine slip ons, the number of merges into me by others has dropped from 1-2 a month to almost never. ( I ride 20 mi each way to work every day. ) I can see people checking their mirrors as I approach to pass, wondering what the hell that noise is. Loud pipes save lives! Plus they sound really cool.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Too dangerous to pick a fight with moving SUV's. If you must confront them, follow them until they stop, then extract your revenge.

However, the best way to deal with them is to stay well away. If they do something stupid, well, just ride on. What can you do? Not even a gesture of "hey STUPID" will make much of a difference.

I agree with going with the best defense is a good offense. Put on loud pipes and use bright lights. If they know you're there or are coming, chances are they won't jump into your lane.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm stationed in a town that wouldn't exist if the military wasn't here. So you have people from all over the United States with different driving styles in one little town. Oh, and you can't forget the guy in the sports car, sport compact or what ever you want to call it trying to out run you. Not that I don't like them, I think they look cool.

·
Registered
83 Posts
according to statistics, Colorado Springs has the worst traffic in the nation (compared to the other cities of its size)
i feel your pain...
thats why i dont commute to work and ususally only ride if im going off into the mountains....

·
Registered
202 Posts
I think it is funny how everyone seems to thing that wherever they live has the worst drivers.:D I am sure if you ask around here (myself included) people would say Boston drivers are the worst. Oh well, just thought it was funny.:D

·
Registered
380 Posts
Robert said:
I have been riding a Motorcycle on the street for over 20 years now (8 in Arizona).

My attitude towards drivers is this:

To 90% of them I am invisible.
The other 10% are trying to kill me.
I'd say a few more people are trying to kill us.

Great topic Roundel, Just yesterday on my way to work (in the cage) I saw a mini van tailing a zx-9 rather closely. Rush hour traffic, but flowing enough to give the guy some room. He kept looking back like "why the hell are you so close....."

I had the same thing happen to me last week so I figured god had me in my car for a reason. I cut the van off expertly, driver was pissed as hell, but she went ballistic when I let off the gas and gave the guy some space. He looked back and gave me a nice thumbs up.... the lady ws fuming, pulled up alongside and tried to cut back in....the ZX rolled off his gas and closed tha space between us....SWEET REVENGE, no harm no foul just SWEET!!

On another note, if it's on the city streets and someone cuts me off, tire permitting, i'll roll up next to them at the next stop light....see if they have a rude look or gesture (happens sometimes) and light a nice burnout for a few seconds....scares them and releases some tension.....Tire permitting!!! No need to waste that precious compound, but if she's done, she's done.

P

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'll put $20 on the world...

looks like they have the upper hand...

kidding aside... riders are "invisible" to cagers... do the best you can to be seen...

I rather stay away from confrontation also... bikes are no match to an out of control cage...

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
my fav is the cell-phone moron...They're so busy yackin on the phone, they don't realize they just cut you off...so you roll up to em at the next stop light, pull in the clutch (or throw it in nuetral and just sit there at 7 or 8000 RPM....(while they are on the phone....)....if nothing else they get irritated :D

·
Registered
482 Posts
RedNinja said:
my fav is the cell-phone moron...They're so busy yackin on the phone, they don't realize they just cut you off...so you roll up to em at the next stop light, pull in the clutch (or throw it in nuetral and just sit there at 7 or 8000 RPM....(while they are on the phone....)....if nothing else they get irritated :D
that's not nice Will...

you gotta blip the throttle so they get different levels of noise...

vroom vroom vroom

1 - 20 of 35 Posts