Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my shortened track riding season has come to an end and I'm already depressed and anxiously awaiting the 2008 schedule to come out. I think I made some HUGE improvements in my riding this year, I got faster, smoother, and more consistant all while dropping my lap times by a lot.

The Metzeler M3's I won from here held up to 5 trackdays and look like they have a few more in them. I started this year riding the Beginner class and ended up riding in Intermediate so they definatley were put to the test, you don't see many street tires in the Intermediate group.

Here are a few pictures of my progress throughout the year.

First trackday on August 16th at Autobahn Country Club

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Last day at Road America :-( No matter what you do in your motorcycling life you must ride this track once! It was the most fun I've ever had on my bike!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Without question you really have had a good season & improved steadily over the time.

Also the Metzeker M3 tyres have proved they are worth the money. They should be thanking your as you put a good & HONEST plug in for their tyres.

Oh yes & I like the photos.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Heheh its funny, I'm also waiting for the '08 sched to come out for Mid-O so I can calculate how much my track days will cost next year. But you're right; I've put over 7,000 miles and one track day on the bike this season and its just too early to pack it in for the winter. I'll be out as long as there's no salt on the roads and its not too cold.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it weren't for a broken brake lever that I'm too broke to fix right now I'd still be putting on more miles. The only good news is that I'll have some pazzo's for next season.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OSUrid3r said:
Heheh its funny, I'm also waiting for the '08 sched to come out for Mid-O so I can calculate how much my track days will cost next year. But you're right; I've put over 7,000 miles and one track day on the bike this season and its just too early to pack it in for the winter. I'll be out as long as there's no salt on the roads and its not too cold.
What org / group do you ride Mid-Ohio with? I'm going to make it a point to get there with STT in their Intermediate group next year for sure. I hear the new surface is awesome!

·
Registered
307 Posts
STT. I was in one of the slower beginner groups which was frustrating since I couldn't do half the drills the right way without ramming into the kid in front of me. I would've pushed him into a tire wall if his dad wasn't in our group.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OSUrid3r said:
STT. I was in one of the slower beginner groups which was frustrating since I couldn't do half the drills the right way without ramming into the kid in front of me. I would've pushed him into a tire wall if his dad wasn't in our group.
I feel your pain. My second track day was with STT and I was in group 5 and it was such a fustrating day!

I actually plan to do a STT Novice day (and prey that I get into group 1) at the beginning of the year just to be able work on some basics at a slower pace. Right now I have this bad habit of rotating around the tank (see picture) instead of opening up to the corner.

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
u supposed to rotate around the tank when going from one side to the other. I looks like but can't really tell u need to relax and drop the insdie sholder a little more this is something that I have been working on all year.
Go here and post some pic's ans see what some of those guys say. I hope ether next season or the season after to actually do some races.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yeah, I was in group 4. Should've done a 3. Relaxing on the tank and dropping the arms is something I need to work on, too. That and keeping my chest on the tank as per the instructor... not that we were going fast enough to tuck anything anywhere...

I also wonder if I'm not getting my ass off the seat enough; its hard to tell with no photographer on the track that day. I dragged everything except my knee; toe sliders, pegs, exhaust, but no knee. There's about 4-5mm of tire that hasn't touched the pavement yet, too, so either I'm doing something wrong or the bike needs more ground clearance. I replaced the pegs recently but maybe I should get different rearsets? I wonder if any other F4i trackgoers have the same issue.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
EdgeRanger said:
u supposed to rotate around the tank when going from one side to the other.
Rotating around the tank like i'm doing makes your spine cross the bike. The proper techinque is to slide your butt off the seat and keep your spine parallel with the bike. This picture should clear up what i'm talking about.

Originally posted by OSUrid3r
also wonder if I'm not getting my ass off the seat enough; its hard to tell with no photographer on the track that day. I dragged everything except my knee; toe sliders, pegs, exhaust, but no knee.
It sounds like you are doing the same thing I am wrong. Rotating around the tank instead of sliding your butt across the seat makes it super hard to get your knee down. I nearly have to pop my knee out its socket to get it to stick out.

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
F4I guys have some ground cleareance issues. I remember my first track day I draged everthing knee toe feeler. u need to hang off more.

I think I have pretty good form here but could still use some work. I diffenly need some rearsets.

As u can see I need to close my leg up aginst the tank. Since the stomp grips are not doing a dam thing for me, and its my fault.

·
Registered
307 Posts
It looks like you also need to get your head out of the fairing more, i.e. 'kiss the mirror' as they say. 60% of people do the same thing so its not too uncommon. You want your spine to be more or less parallel to the bike.

·
Registered
460 Posts
OSUrid3r said:
It looks like you also need to get your head out of the fairing more, i.e. 'kiss the mirror' as they say. 60% of people do the same thing so its not too uncommon. You want your spine to be more or less parallel to the bike.
yup I have been told that countless times one day I acutally do it if I want to be fast.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts