Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kevlar7R said:
allright, allright, ENOUGH with the Italian bikes. :barf: :barf: There are SO many other countries out there, can't we pick on one of them for a while? :):D
You have a point there Kevlar, but I can't help it, I like these old Italian bikes :) Plus they make good trivia as many people don't even know these brands (remember the Aspes 125?).
The problem is that these Italian bikes were really advanced and interesting, while being somewhat rare as well.

Look at this 125 here. It's the Sport version and it has 3 disc brakes ;)

What if I create a trivia about some obsolete Russian motorcycle? :D

Aris

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Andy said:
Aris,

I searched for hours. Can you give us a hint. Like what year is it?

I would guess 1978.

Andy
OK Andy, here is some help:

It's a 1980 , 2 stroke, 2 cylinder, 125cc, 2 discs front, 1 rear!
It produces 20hp at 9800rpm and a top speed of 140 km/h!

It's not that rare as the Aspes, actually there is one exactly like this one (but not in such a good condition) for sale for approx 230 Euro in Italy.
There was a simpler model with only one disc in the front and different saddle.
I remember them because they were marketed in Greece in the early 80s, so I ve seen a few of them on the street.
They were fast and their engines were screaming like hell !
The design reminds a bit of the Moto Morini 3 1/2, but the size is much smaller. You can't see it in the picture because the bike has perfect analogies, but if there was a rider sitting on it, he would dwarf the bike.

I hope this info will help a bit ;)

Aris

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Mike you WIN :)
I suppose the first letter helped, and of course the fact that you ride a ZR7 ;)

How did you find it? The site you posted doesn't have a picture of the sport model.
Here is one for sale in Italy : http://annunci.tiscali.it/scheda/allegato/ws507749/

Did you see that crazy 50cc Testa Rossa? I was thinking of putting a trivia for that one instead :D

Aris

·
Registered
377 Posts
Aris you said they were marketed in Greece in the 1980's.

You would want to be veerry careful telling someone about you new wheels. Pronounciation is vital.

" Hey how do you like my new bike ....Malanca " :D :D

:)

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
titomike said:
Aris you said they were marketed in Greece in the 1980's.

You would want to be veerry careful telling someone about you new wheels. Pronounciation is vital.

" Hey how do you like my new bike ....Malanca " :D :D

:)
Ha ha, Mike you re right, the pronounciation is very close to the most famous Greek word! I suppose you know it from the Greeks down under, especially young guys use it every 2nd other word :D
Basically if you remove the 'n' from Malanca, you got it! But it is written with a 'k' normally.

In later years manufacturers dealt with such matters more elegantly, for example the Seat Malaga, was renamed Seat Gredos for the Greek market, in order to avoid this situation :p

Aris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts