Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You enter a left hand corner too hot. On the outside of the corner a guardrail is happily waiting to tear you up and spit you out. You throw the bike over as hard and as far as you think possible. It is too late to stand the bike up and hitting the brakes is not a feasible option. Any more lean angle will cause you to crash. You are not going to make it through the corner without impaling yourself on the guardrail at the present turn radius. How do you make it through the corner unscathed? Why is this possible? (This is theory, sometimes it may not be possible for us mere mortals) Good Luck - don't crash! :D

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
lean off the bike more.

there is some sort of physics laws that makes it possible for a bike to be more upright to turn a given radius by weighting the inside.

if you're really good, dirt track it. i'm not even good.

gd, is this what you're looking for? are you at some seriously advanced level.

S

·
0 Posts
I was in this same situation this year , I would guess a lowside would scrub off enough inertia to safely slow down, But this all depends on the speed travelling ? A highside could catapult you over the gaurdrail :D

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I found myself entering a corner marked 15mph at 30mph this summer.....too late to brake......aww crap!!!.....instincts take over,(and experience),keep it leaned over,smooth......and Doink!! out I came from the corner!!:):)My pulse rate was way the heck up there,but,no crash!!:D
Jim

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once leaned over in a corner at max lean you cannot get off the seat any further without upsetting the suspension. Keep trying - you have all crashed so far! :D

[Edited by cbr600f4gd on 12-05-2000 at 09:57 AM]

·
Registered
328 Posts
Paul is on the right track, but...

"Big throttle"? Uh-uh. That'll high-side you in a heart beat when you're already at full lean!

But you've got the basic idea. You want to take some of the weight off the front tire so you can tighten the line.

So what you want to do is crack the throttle open slowly and smoothly. If you are still on the front brakes, you should ease off completely. The more lean angle you have, the less effective the brakes are.

As stated above, once you're in a corner, leaned over, forget about trying to hang off further. It will completely upset the bike, and if you're at full lean, it doesn't take much to put it over the edge. Plus, you've already got the centrifugal force pressing you into the seat at almost 1g., so you'd find it pretty difficult to change position anyway...

·
Registered
57 Posts
well you sed they all crashed and my first thought was on dirttrack too but id say if your good enough and know your bike like the back of your hand (the road too) id ay slide the rear not like dirttrack but more like robberts Sr

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Re: Paul is on the right track, but...

AZ Scott said:
"Big throttle"? Uh-uh. That'll high-side you in a heart beat when you're already at full lean!
My reply was a little "tongue-in-cheek," Scott. ;)

I found out the "hard way" about BIG THROTTLE inputs while at full lean. I'd just like to say one thing, "high-sides hurt really bad." :D

·
Registered
440 Posts
If spinning the rear tire would automatically high side you then every GP and World Superbike racer on this planet would crash in every corner. Well, at least the fast ones. How do you think those guys leave black stripes on the corner exits? You don't get into trouble while on the gas, you get into trouble when the rear tire spins and you get off the gas. Then the tire hooks up and you go flying over the handelbars.

I saw two excellent examples of this at Laguna Seca recently. Rider One low-sided a Yamaha R1 in turn two. He got on the gas a bit to eagerly on the corner exit and the back end slid out from under him. Damage to the rider was limited to a bruised ego. Rider Two high sided a Triumph Speed Triple in the same corner. He got on the throttle too hard. The back end slid. He backed off the throttle. The back end hooked up. Rider went airborne. Damage to the rider included a broken collarbone.

The scenario given in this question is extreme, but given this scenario you have two choices:

A) Touch the rear brake enough to bring the back end around, then roll on the throttle to stabilize the bike. You may beed to spin the rear tire to keep from high siding when you let off the brake. Whatever you do, do not roll of the throttle, even while applying the rear brake.

B) Crash.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Here's my take. First, if you're last name isn't Bostrom, Haga, Roberts, etc., you're only option is to become intimate with Mr. Guardrail. Otherwise I only see one option: Spin the rear enough to tighten the turn and pick the bike up at the exit (instead of chopping the throttle) to end the slide. Getting on the rear brake at full lean will upset the bike too much. It's fine to do it on entry but even then you'll need to continue the slide with throttle, once you lean it over. That's the only way I can see a way out of it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
mashuri said:
Here's my take. First, if you're last name isn't Bostrom, Haga, Roberts, etc., you're only option is to become intimate with Mr. Guardrail.
Agreed. And, on reflection, I think you're right about touching the rear brake. Stay off the brake. Gas it and hope for the best. At worst, you'll lowside and probably walk away from the accident. If you chop the throttle you'll most likely go over the high side, and heaven help you if you land on the guardrail.

·
Registered
468 Posts
The only option is to rear wheel steer it though the corner. You would have to be really good to pull it off, though. To make a rear wheel steer work, you have to stand the bike up, and take a different line, moving your apex deeper into the corner. Personally, I think that once you are fully leaned over, and committed to a line, it is too late to rear wheel steer it. If you try to rear wheel steer at full lean, you are toast. The contact patch is too small to initiate a controlled slide. If you tried to rear wheel steer from full lean, you had better be a throttle control God, or one really lucky bastard. The same goes for using the rear brake to slide it, although if you are good, you could use the rear brake to scrub off enough speed to make the turn. Either way, you gotta be good, or you are toast. Then again, if you were that good, you would not find yourself in that situation in the first place. ;o)

[Edited by Rossco929 on 12-24-2000 at 03:31 PM]

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Shit! This is the first trivia question Geoff asked and I knew the answer but I was too damn late.

The correct answer is buy the R1 cos they oversteer when hard on the gas...

Or grab a handful of front brake and hit the gas simultaneously and try to do some Gary Rothwell rolling burnouts through the turn.

[Edited by chris_y2k_r1 on 12-27-2000 at 03:45 PM]

·
Registered
296 Posts
I was gonna say to tell yourself "wake the hell up!"
And then you'd be safe and sound in your bed...:D:D:D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts