Sportbike World banner

It only took a month, but I have a new duc in my garage!

4K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  erik900ss 
#1 ·
I rode home my new bike today after a month of waiting for things to sort themselves out. I got a new '00 996 biposto. It had been on the showroom floor for a long long time so I got a pretty sweet deal. I picked it up with LeoVinci carbon cans/chip/air filter and added my carbon front fender and vented clutch from my dead SS.

The chip didn't work so I have the stock chip until the new one arrives. It pops and sputters when I downshift and its starved for fuel when I get on it, but that will be remedied soon.

I haven't had a chance to ride it other than on the interstate going home so no riding impressions yet.

I love the smell of a new Ducati........

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
I'm jealous... But one question, why the hell did you get a biposto? Was it just a good deal or what? That has got to be the most useless passenger seat in the world.:D

#8 ·
The nitrated forks came with the bike. As far as I can tell and what the dealer is telling me, its a stock '00 996. I got the biposto because that's what they had and my wife demands a place for her to ride. I've tried to convince her to get her own bike, but she has no interest other than as a passenger.

#11 ·
GB81 said:
is it the 996s because of the 5 spokes
Agreed. Erik, if you paid the price of a standard 996 bi-posto, your dealer is an idiot, and you scored BIG.

Take a look at the sticker (silver one) located on the left side of the frame just above the rear-set. Does it say "996S?"

The base '00 996 has/had the standard Showa forks, and 3-spoke wheels.

I'd look into it. Very cool.

#14 ·
I'm pretty sure its not the 'S' model. The suspension is by Showa and all the stickers on the bike say '996'. The sticker on the frame above the left rearset doesn't have a model designation, and the silver sticker on the underside of the rear seat cowl says '2000 DUC46NO996', whatever the hell that means. The lettering on the side of the seat cowl also says 'DUCATI 996'.

It was my understanding all the 996 bikes starting in 2000 got the 5-spoke wheels.

#15 ·
slaintedan said:
Does anybody know what a race-prepped Ducati 996 goes for?
Depends on how race prepped you want it and which model they prep. You could get a 998SPS and safety wire it then club race it. It would be fairly competitive in stock form(other than required changes)... until it faces a $25,000 TLR or RC-51. Then it would be an expensive under achiever. :D

Seriously, it depends on what you want out of it. You could spend $3000 up to $150,000. For the $150,000 you could get a race package including engine rebuilds, spare parts inventory, etc. and one seriously kick ass race bike with top notch equip. :cool:

Eraldo Ferracci will set you up for a bargain $120,000 package. :D

#17 ·
erik900ss said:
It was my understanding all the 996 bikes starting in 2000 got the 5-spoke wheels.
I'm not sure about that, Erik. You probably know more about it than I. I'm not your typical Ducati freak (just a freak).

The curiosity comes from the gold-nitride forks. It was my understanding that they only came with the S model and above. However, I do notice that you have the plastic air-box.

Who knows? Ducati is a little strange. They have a tendency to grab whatever is in the parts bin, and throw it on a bike. I have the 748S, which has the Showa forks and shock. A lot of the S models had an Ohlins rear shock. Also, some of the S models had CF air-boxes, others had the plastic. Go figure.

Regardless, it's an awesome bike. I know you'll love it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.