Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tempted to winterize the bike but when I did that last year, a sudden week of nice weather showed up. Anybody in the upper Midwest already doing this? Where's the global warming that's supposed to be extending my riding season? :mad:

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
We set a record high for this time of year somewhere in the 90's a few days ago. What more do you want? :twofinger

·
Registered
892 Posts
i wont winterize my bike. its never to cold to ride as long as there isnt any snow and ice. I like to see the cages faces when im out there and its like 20F outside.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I rode to work today. I'll probably ride two or three times next week. I normally ride to work at least once or twice a week through winter.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
In a way it is here in this part of the Okanagan Valley of B.C. Cdn. This has been the first & probably the only day I would be able to hike it up into the hills, but one worry is some of the roads cutting between the saddle of some mtns are shadowed all the time & if it rain (which it has been doing for the past three weeks) t hen I could be up against deadly BLACK ICE.

So winterized the bike just this morning. Besides the insurance has run out on one two weeks ago while the other two are good only to the 15th of this month.

It has been a strange year like cold winter, darn cold & long Spring to where Summer was a bit cold to suddenly on with a bang of hot weather & did not cool down for Autumn weather, but just went cold with rain on & off with lots of wind storms.

I know my trees around me & especially the Varigated Maple in my front yard for it is the FIRST to start to dump all its leaves in Autumn only less then 10% have come off. Others I know say the same about trees they are accustom to. Even some of my Chrysanthemum flowers are just starting to flower. Which can be normal undeer normal Autumn weather which it is not.

Still I usually get a lovely Autumn riding time & then on comes November with its cold. Not this screwed up year.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yeah, all the sudden its not 90 degrees anymore. I probably won't take the bike if its <50 out since I'll just freeze instantly, but I'll give going to class a try.

I fired up my fireplace for the first time yesterday and thought 'that's when you know its getting cold out'. My problem is that I've got a lot of bike projects to do this winter and my unattached garage will be freezing. If I could, I would park my bike in my living room for the winter. That would be so awesome I would sleep on it ;)

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Manager of a large grocery store has bought himself a new HD 1200cc & said to me, the other day. Is it true that one has a trickle come out of an eye when they winterize their bike? Said it was so if not worse for I am in tears. He said is was not that bad, but when I said it was three bikes I had to winterize & he knows my history or riding to milage I cover each year & then we laughed over what we were yattering about.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Realistically, is there anything else you should do aside from mixing Stabil in the fuel? My bike will be sitting until April/May so should I go further? There may be a nice 70 degree day in January like a couple years ago, so maybe I'll bring it out once or twice. I think last Christmas it was nice enough that I was considering mowing the lawn.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Honestly that is all you need do, besides putting a Battery Tender to it while in the bike, or remove the battery to take in into a cooler part of the home & use the trickle charger on it every once in a while as you check.

If you had a warm spell with no snow, then you can trott around town or to another town, but watch out for fallen leaves that end up like grease AND your insurance covers the m/c plus LP is valid. After all you can always put in a fuel stabalizer & top the petrol tank again.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Then I'm good to go. My bike is running Engine Ice coolant currently, and its rated not to freeze down to a temp of -25F. My garage is unattached, therefore freezing, so should I worry about the coolant at all? The lowest temp I've seen in here in Ohio in recent memory was about -11F but I'm wondering if I should put some form of heat on the engine/radiator on those super cold days. I really don't want to have a cracked block come spring.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
On a point of interest. If you might be the rider that can occassionally bring the bike out for a short run during the Autumn or even Winter. The idea of having removed the battery from the bike to its storage place & then back into the bike again can become a bit of a deterant---& said short ride might be scratched.

Answer is around $35.00 American being a Battery Tender. For the battery will still be in the bike so all you have to do is unplug the connection to the BT.

In fact each time I am about to ride in the normal riding weather I disconnect the BT from the bike, ride & when back I plug in again for net result is a longer battery life & always a battery ready to work in the first part of the day.

I have nothing to do with the Battery Tender people. Fact is the other day when winterizing my bike I took the oldest BT with allagator clips on it, rather then quick to plug in set-ups to my cage just to perk up the battery a bit. Note the BT was engineered for small batteries like on our m/cs so only 1.25 amps yet it 20 minutes the Cage battery was up to snuff. Meaning it was up to snuff, so back it went to the 600cc sportbike.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I really do not know for I have lived in Western Canada (which can be darn cold if it wants to) with only non heated garages these 61 yrs of riding & have never added any heat.

Now some say to put a 100watt bulb under the bike, but to me that is sort of chancy as I cannot be checking said bulb. I had a bikes liquid cooled in the late 40s to early 50s then from late 60s to this day--to be honest though never had any problems during those yrs.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've read somewhere about spraying a little oil in the cylinders then cranking the engine for a second without the plugs in. Also heard of lowering tire pressure and putting it on stands so you won't have any flat spots.. but I'll just run some Stabil in the fuel, keep the battery on the tender, and then wait for spring to come. It'll be fine.

I've got a lot of downtime plans including swapping my F4i's swingarm with an '04 600RR swinger as the biggest project. I'll have to find a local machine shop to mill out some bushings but I'm not sure if I'll keep my bike or trade it in for a RR at the stealership. Sigh.

·
Registered
102 Posts
OSUrid3r said:
Then I'm good to go. My bike is running Engine Ice coolant currently, and its rated not to freeze down to a temp of -25F. My garage is unattached, therefore freezing, so should I worry about the coolant at all? The lowest temp I've seen in here in Ohio in recent memory was about -11F but I'm wondering if I should put some form of heat on the engine/radiator on those super cold days. I really don't want to have a cracked block come spring.
Dude, if you have no 50/50 antifreaze, only engine ice, you will be sorry.
If you want to save it, drain it to a milk jug for next summer.

All I do is just that, with the 50/50, and stay bill, and lube the chain, and battery tender.
We try to ride once a month all winter, if the roads clear up. No matter the temp. Some times its pritty dirty before it warms up enough to wash them.

Christmas day, 2006 40F in southeast Montana

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
stimacsays said:
Dude, if you have no 50/50 antifreaze, only engine ice, you will be sorry.
Seriously? Despite being rated to -25F? I may as well drain it and find some alternative way to refill it which doesn't involve taking a whole afternoon to remove all the fairings so I won't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The water wetter I used says not a about freaze prottection.
Please check your lable, I do know you can mix it with antifreazz.
You can get a tester for $3 to check the protection at a Auto parts store. You would just have to take the radeator cap off.
My 1098 is a major pain, just to get the cap off.
Take mid off 8 bolts, ram air cover 4 bolts, ram air 4 bolts.
You dont even want to know about the drain.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Woops, sorry, Engine Ice and water wetter. 2 diferent things.
Water wetter is OK for track days. No glycol.
I have no idea about Engine Ice. My bad.
Still cant hert to test it.

·
Registered
892 Posts
i think im running a 50/50 with water wetter. i put it in last summer so im not sure the mix ratio but i have ridden my bike in 10-20F and suffered no problems. i go like 80mph on back roads at that temp and suffered no ill effects. not sure what that would make the wind chill temp but its enough to freeze the fog almost instantly on my visor. and my f-ing balls.....sorry cold weather falsh back....anywho....i think you should be fine. as long as the garage is enough to protect it from the elements. wind in the winter is what makes it so cold. ambient temp isnt usually nearly as cold. but shit happens so just pay attention to the weather and you should be fine.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts