Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I found out my chain has 2.0 inches of slack (reccomended is 1.0 to 1.4) is it safe to ride my bike 20 min. to a shop?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Yeah, a 20 minute ride will be fine. Just go easy on it (no wheelies, or excessive engine braking). The idea with chains, is that you want as much slack as possible without the chain coming off the sprockets.

·
Registered
127 Posts
theres alot of bunk floating around about chain adjustment, first of all it depends on how much sag ya got when your on it..and if ya ride a passenger. the chain tightens when ya sit on it. i run my chains on the loose side. please dont tell me your not gonna adjust your own chain, its in your owners manual how to do it. they put it there becuse its a simple job they expect the owner to do. two inches with nobody on it might be alittle loose... i bet mine is set around there though.

·
Registered
127 Posts
no thats not true, however if the chain has binding links or worn rollers that bind under load or in other words shot you can lose quite a bit of horsepower to the wheel. you got a relatively new bike...alot of miles? really its ok to run a chain loose if its not gettin sloppy with the gears...if its not cuasing a annoying slapping sound your probably ok. remember when you exlr8 the chain is tight on the top as thefront gear pulls on the rear gear to spin it...its as tight as a solid piece of steel...the bottom of the chain is loose and balloning...it cant be so loose that its loosing contact with the bottom of the sprockets...thats when you run into ratcheting potential which yeah is pretty bad and dangerous to say the least.

·
Registered
183 Posts
2 inches isnt dangerous at all, I really doubt you could throw it if you tried.

And I agree that this a good time to practice on your mechanical ability a bit. Its probably the easiest maintenence you can do to your bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's not much slack at all. For a twenty minute just going to the shop ride you'll be fine. As pointed out, the chain gets tight when sitting on the bike. If the chain is too tight it can complicate the movement, damper, and rebound functions of the suspension. Always when adjusting your own chain, refer to the manufacturer, they made the bike, so who'd know best

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies. I was gonna do it myself but didn't have a big enough wrench. It would have cost me just as much money to buy the wrench as to have the shop adjust the chain for me. So I let them do it.

Call me lazy. :D I change my oil I think that's enough for now.;)

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
when you tighten the chain, you want the tightest portion of the chain to be with your bikes recommended slack distance (reccomended is 1.0 to 1.4 u said for your bike). You don't want any place tighter then that. Chain wear is dependent on how you drive too. Hard accelerations can wear it out faster then slow acceleration. Even poping wheelies will wear it down. Its a violent yank that pulls the chains.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
2in is a bit much. I believe the recommended specs are 1"-1.5"

·
Registered
18 Posts
ESanders2 said:
Since I found out my chain has 2.0 inches of slack (reccomended is 1.0 to 1.4) is it safe to ride my bike 20 min. to a shop?
ESanders2: Officially the slack, yes, should be between 1.0 and 1.4 inches.

I think it's safe to ride to the shop.

I'm probably wrong on my next statement so follow this at your own risk: There's a lot of debate on motorcycle chain tension and too tight chains lead to short chain/sprocket life. So what's too short? Some say loaded chain tension is what should be checked since unloaded (nobody sitting on the bike) isn't how you ride it.

How to check loaded tension:
1) Get a buddy, girlfriend, or someone to sit on the bike while you check chain tension.
2) Lay over the bike from the right side, and while looking down on the chain upside-down, measure chain tension.

On my Z-750S and my KLR-650 both, the chain seems too loose until I lay over the seat. In summary, I think your chain may be okay.

Disclaimer: My advice is worth every penny you paid for it.
I'm frequently wrong. I've only owned my Z-750S for a couple months. I'm not a real motorcycle mechanic. Don't believe what I just posted.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
I keep my chain on the loose side as well, cuzz when ya sit on the bike it Will tighten up..also, a tight chain can and will cause the shock linkage to bind, i.e. rear supension suffers big time..

I've seen guys at track days that have theiur chains so tight, it's crazy..one dude on a R1 went to have his bike dyno'd at the track, and the dyno guy refused to dyno it cuzz of the tight chain...

And yup, thrown chains suck, and they hurt like hell too...:crying:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes i know all of the talk about reading owners manual for procedure to tighten chain... but when it says to keep everything ligned up sprocket or somethin'. Is it referring to the noches on the swingarm, like i have seven showing on each side. There are these little screws that you can turn on both sides that look like it would lengthen the distance from the front to back wheel, is this correct?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Yes, that what the marks are for. Make sure they are set the same.

My user manual reads "25mm (1in) while on side stand". This is not rocket science. Close but not quite.

You'd be better off buying a wrench! It will save you money in the long run. Unless you're made out of money you should really learn how to do most of the work yourself. Tools can be expensive but it's nice to have the right one on hand and after a few uses they will pay for themselves.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts