Sportbike World banner

Should the motorcyclist be charged with manslaughter?

• Yes

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • No

Votes: 25 86.2%

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051019/BREAKINGNEWS/51019001

Cyclist convicted in FHP trooper's death

ASSOCIATED PRESS ADVERTISEMENT

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - A motorcyclist, whose race with a sports car on Interstate 4 led to a Florida Highway Patrol trooper's fatal crash, was convicted of aggravated manslaughter by a jury on Tuesday.

Donald Williams was also convicted of vehicular homicide and fleeing and eluding a law-enforcement officer in causing the death of 49-year-old Trooper Darryl Haywood on Oct. 2, 2004. The jury deliberated for three hours, the Orlando Sentinel reported.

Williams will be sentenced at a later date. He could face up to 60 years in prison.

According to reports, Williams, on his blue 1999 Suzuki, was racing a Porsche when Haywood started to pursue them. The patrol car had a blow out, causing Haywood to lose control of his vehicle and crash into a tree.

Williams was arrested later that day at an Interstate 95 rest stop in St. Johns County.

This article is really interesting!
http://www.pursuitwatch.org/stories/FHP_haywood.htm

Please do not misunderstand, I feel for the family of this officer. What I am not understanding is how you charge the motorcyclist with manslaughter in any form. He didn't throw any James Bond tire spikes down onto the road to cause the tire of the troopers camaro to blow.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
so many facts are not stated here. i voted no, but really can't say for sure without more info. the officer clipped another car while trying to catch the biker while driving erraticly with no lights on- that's not in the officer's favor. but no one knows if the biker knew the cop was chasing him? and what happened about the guy in the porsche?
either way it's too bad the officer died, and it's too bad about the negative publicity that we, as bikers, always seem to recieve.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah yes both of you have promoted to the rank of Captain Obvious. There is not one mention of the porsche after the intial phone call by an on looker. That second article is really interesting in that the FHP contradicts itself and that state statute for pursuits.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Headlight said:
Ah yes both of you have promoted to the rank of Captain Obvious.
I was giving my reasons for voting the way i did, and why my vote may change upon the releasing of more facts. I didn't realize we were just supposed to vote and not talk about it :twofinger

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
He died in the line of duty.. the rest is bullshit

The same thing could have happend if he pulled out of his hiding spot to give you a speeding ticket in a car when you went past him at 13 over. If he pulled out in traffic wrong and got hit by a truck, by this ruling you should get manslaughter also..

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Over_Dose said:

The same thing could have happend if he pulled out of his hiding spot to give you a speeding ticket in a car when you went past him at 13 over. If he pulled out in traffic wrong and got hit by a truck, by this ruling you should get manslaughter also..
That's what I got out of it. If an officer pulls me over and is walking to my car, trips falls and busts his head that's my fault.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Over_Dose said:

yeah it is bullshit and remember the drunk guy who hit the cop on I75 who was using the turn around without his lights on?
I think he got off not sure but his sentence was not harsh at all.

I think anytime a officer dies in line of duty is a bad/sad thing, but seems they also go on witch hunt to punish somebody for it.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Thats pretty much BS. The trooper chose to follow, and took a risk. He could've called it in. The biker is guilty of speeding, wreckless driving, evading persuit. But no manslaughter.

·
Registered
625 Posts
i voted no but gotta say that those who run from the cops deserve a good ass beating when and if youre ever caught....lets look at it this way tho...if the cocksucker whos running because of being pursued by the police, if the perp hits something or spins out and dies is it the cops fault???...reverse the roles of who bought it...is the cop then guilty for chasing????Detroit has awarded victims of those types of scenarios in the past...why wouldnt it go both ways?...i was there the morning that the officer got killed...i was in florida on vacation and remember that they didnt catch him right away..there was a block of time between the officer biting it adn the perp getting caught...only those that ride know that unless your checkin your rearview mirror or paying attention, you wouldnt know that godzilla is behind you chasin...i have done it before, lol...just gun it and start spittin traffic on 696 adn before i know it i got the big blue meanies behind me and when asked why i ran i told em that i had no idea they were back there...got the ticket and paid it but i will yeild to the cops every time...just a few thoughts

·
Registered
481 Posts
almightys said:
yeah it is bullshit and remember the drunk guy who hit the cop on I75 who was using the turn around without his lights on?
I think he got off not sure but his sentence was not harsh at all.
He got two counts of drunk driving. In my opinion that's all the kid deserved.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's total BS. I read it the same way. The trooper failed to make sure his vehicle was in safe operating condition has a blow out and blames the nearest bike in the vicinity. So if he has a blowout because I have a bad headlight and dies is that my fault? WTF?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts