Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came back from a ride up island and was trying a few new things. Feels quite a bit quicker off the line depending on how I go about it. Getting the rpm's up and controlling my take off with the clutch seems faster than the standard,clutch out, twist wrist, hang on. So I need to know is this hard on my bike? How do the boys on the 1/4 mile do it??

------------------

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Heck ya slipping the clutch is hard on it. It will wear out faster, but thats the price you pay to play.

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]

·
Registered
328 Posts
The boys in the 1/4-mile replace a lot of clutches!

Seriously, slipping the clutch is what causes clutches to wear. The more you do it, the quicker it'll wear. The best way to get a bike off the line quickly is to hold the revs way up in the meat of the powerband, and use clutch modulation to control wheelspin/wheelies. In roadracing, this is the worst thing for your clutch -- the start of the race.

So you can do it when you feel frisky, but normal, easy street starts the rest of the time will make your clutch last a lot longer... :D

------------------
I'm not joking. And don't call me Shirley.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I agree that you are wearing on the clutch. The start of a race is always the worst on the clutch since they are only good for a few (1 or 2) starts anyway.

Anyway, I like the point, shoot, and hang on anyway! hehe

I remember reading where some mag got a ZX-9 one year past to do a 9.xx 1/4 mile after going through 3-4 clutches to get that time. Cheaters!

Keep the rubber side down!

GSX-R750

------------------
If speed kills, do brakes give life?

J

·
0 Posts
Yes, it wears you clutch out faster. :( But clutch plates aren't all that expensive and they are fairly easy to replace. :)

John

------------------

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i think this depends greatly on the rpm's he's using. if you're talking peg it against the rev limiter like in a drag racing or a race start, then good bye clutch.

if you're talking about slipping it at 4000 rpm instead of rolling it out 1500, it'll wear the clutch out sooner, but not enough to worry about it too much. like john said, clutches are cheap (if you're replacing them from 4000 rpm launches and not 13000).

------------------
Tony

00 GSX-R750-yellow & black
88 FZR400-krylon black
94 CBR600F2--sold

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Look at it this way bro... Clutch plates
are alot like brake pads, material wise...
To do there job they need to slip but they
also need to grip, which means they have
to wear... Just like the brakes the more
you use it, the more it wears.

Having the clutch all the way in or all the
way out is fine no wear there. When it's
partially engaged is when it's wearing.

------------------
It's nice to have one of the biggest...

·
Registered
206 Posts
That's what is so good about my bike. :) If you slip my clutch you are wasting your time and energy, as the meat of my powerband is at the bottom end. :D You will gain only small fractions of a second that way, I tried it and if I gained any time I couldn't tell.

------------------
Colin
FloridaSportbikers
My Home Page

·
Registered
873 Posts
If you are drag racing (as has been already mentioned) Clutch FINESSE is a highly valuable artform. and of course slipping clutches will always cause wear. I agree with Jon, clutches are easy to replace and they arnt ridiculously expensive. Just dont make a habit of riding around all day in a state of constant "finesse" :)

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Registered
873 Posts
If MSF is telling students to ride the clutch then they should be giving out free clutch sets for every student. Im sorry, thats just plain BS.

There must be some certain situation that the clutch riding was recommended to be used in.

Also, there is a big difference between RIDING the clutch and COVERING the clutch. "Covering" is always a good habit to get into.
------------------
Fear Green.

[This message has been edited by GreenNinja (edited July 05, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
From what I remember of the MSF class, they teach modulating the clutch along with the throttle during low speed (low RMP) manuvers. My instructor said clutches are designed to take abuse at low RPM levels but wear very fast at high RPM. Just MY .02

------------------
Clark

·
Registered
20 Posts
And to think that my just recently finished MSF class instructors told us all to ride the clutch. They said to forget all that stuff you learned back in drivers ed about riding the clutch. I knew they had to be lying.

------------------
Karl - Denver, CO
'00 Honda VFR800FI
'99 Subaru Outback

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah, I'm familiar w/covering the clutch too, which is important, but they wanted us to 'ride' it. And they give insurance discounts for this? :rolleyes:

------------------
Karl - Denver, CO
'00 Honda VFR800FI
'99 Subaru Outback

1 - 15 of 15 Posts