Sportbike World banner

Is this bad for a bike...

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  SepiasSoul 
#1 ·
I just purchased a bike. Its a 1997 Yamaha YZF 750 R. I am a new rider so I'm taking it slow. Is it bad to keep the RPMs low on a high peaking engine? Im learning the bike, weight, and riding so im keeping the RPMs low, usually between 2k-4k before i switch gears. (I'm not getting much over 20MPH on it till Im comfortable with my abilitys and the bike) Is this bad for the bikes engine/transmition? It's not going to be a long term thing just while i get use to it all.

Thanks for the help,
Sepias

#3 ·
It only lugs and surges when i get shaky and give it a bit much on the throttle. Its got alot of power behind it. But as long as its not gunna hurt the engine, thats what im worried about. Im doing alot of clutching to keep it from surging and such.

Thanks for the reply,

Sepias

#4 ·
One more quick thing. I was puttin my bike up in the garage and i guess i missed the kickstand or it wasn't all the way down. Anyways it fell ontop of me. Gas started coming outta the tank at the filler cap. Should this happen or no? If not, what should I do to fix the problem? Thats the only time it leeks, Ive left paper under it to check for any drips of anykind.

Thanks,
Sepias

#5 ·
not sure about your specific bike, but it should have a vented gas cap to assist in the gravity feed for the petcock; so it would have a place to leak out. HA Ha, when I first started riding 7 years ago I did the same thing with my first bike. Over it went, but I managed to keep my leg under the new yosh pipe to save it :)

As for the engine speed, I'd at least take it up to 6k. 2-4k is extreemely low, even for a new bike break in period. Odds are, those old carbs aren't pumpin' like they use to, so it could probably use to be whacked open here and there. --Highway riding is a great chance to get a feel for your power band. Cruise around in the lower RPM's and play with the throttle a little, give it a quick burst and feel how your bike reacts. Drop a gear and feel how you bike handles in the higher RPM's. Have fun

#6 ·
I don't know what negative effect shifting that soon could have, but you should definitely practice shifting at a higher RPM. 2-3K is VERY low on a motorcycle. You don't have to hammer the throttle just because you're keeping it up in a higher RPM range....try shifting between 5-6K. You're just learning throttle control. Can be tricky for new riders, or even someone with experience stepping up to a more powerful bike than they're used to.

#7 ·
Im trying to keep it between 5-6k as of now. It just means I'm stuck in first and second gear since the comunity I live in has a 30mph speed limit. Any tips on how to handle grass? I was unsure goin into a turn today so I rode it into the grass. I knew I was gunna lose the bike in the grass but thought it better than cement. I wasn't goin to fast but it did a number on my left ferring. Pushed in 1/2 in into towards the frame. Doesn't quite line up right now but thats why I bought an older bike. Anyways back to the question, tips on goin into grass?

Thanks,
Sepias

#11 ·
SepiasSoul said:
I was unsure goin into a turn today so I rode it into the grass.
You might want to try entering your turns at lower speeds. I know all you read about is how fun sailing through twisties is, but until you're familiar with your bike's cornering at different speeds it is always better to undershoot than slam in too fast. but yeah, if you find yourself in that kind of situation, just straighten the bike and try to stop it safely, and have your feet ready to catch you once you're slow enough (in case you run into a mud situation). And like said before, use the bars dont lean and take it slow.

#12 ·
Shifting "early" is one way to increase gas mileage. The slower an engine turns, the less gas it uses. Of course the warning about avoiding surging and the like should be followed. And the downside, of course, is that the power exists above the low end of the band. That's why you downshift when getting ready to pass.

On turns I tend to prefer to start the turn in whatever gear has me in the middle of the band. Takes some practice and getting to know the bike and its power band, though.

#13 ·
Yea I've found the power band once or twice its right around 12k and it really starts to kick you off lol. Ive been downshifting going into turns partly to slow down before entering and also so I can excel out easier. That sound about right?

Sepias

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.