Sportbike World banner

is this a trend?

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Mr.TrevorClever 
#1 ·
I've been seeing this a lot lately....guys on sportbikes with the Harley brain bucket lids- you know the kind- they barely cover the top of your head, all black, occassionally with the spike on top....
What's the deal with this? I guess it's a way around the helmet law in MD, but damn, it looks ridiculous. These guys also sport the classic squid uniform: shorts, tennis shoes, wife-beater, etc...
While I'm ranting, here's another one: older guys on cruisers wearing the golf standard: polo shirt, short shorts, plaid socks, boat shoes, and a helmet straight out of 1970- the "half-face" with the bubble shield. If I was spending over $10,000 on a nice cruiser, I sure as hell would at least buy some clothes to go with it.
Is it just me? I swear I'm not making this up.

------------------
j.------
"not everyone undertstands house music-it's a spiritual thing, a soul thing"

#2 ·
I've notice the helmet trend a little here in the TN, NC, GA area. :eek:

Then Dentist and Doctors don't have time to change after work on Friday and those close will hold up pretty well for the 50 mile a month tour. :D

------------------
Ride Hard!

John

#4 ·
Why bother - just go with one then?!?!

Whatever - that's gay. :D

You know what that is... That's a squid who
wants all the girlies to see he pimple
impregnated face!! ;)

------------------
Stylin - Profilin', Got an R1 so I'm SMILIN!!

[This message has been edited by chris_y2k_r1 (edited July 07, 2000).]

#5 ·
Saw the same thing in Jersey. Both riders on Ninjas with green skull cap helments, looks ridiculous. I Guess they are having an identity crisis.

Speaking of squids, Delaware Ave is Full of them. You'd think Philly didn't have a helment law anymore. I venture to guess the majority of these guys can't ride, since all they do is run up and down the ave as fast as they can in a straight line. :mad:

------------------

[This message has been edited by giovanni (edited July 07, 2000).]

#6 ·
the yuppie wanna be harley guyz have been here for a long time.. i get more waves from the hardcore harley crowd than theses ****.

the helmet thing im pretty sure is from the ruff riders video things... im not into a lot of rap & dont have cable but i saw a rap video while at a friends house w/a bunch of squids from out east somewhere doing some lvx squid moves.. burn outs, etc... all wearing these helmets.. then the rappers wore them & they all wore them in an interview.. monkey see monkey do.

------------------

#7 ·
I think they're cool. I want the chrome one with the spike on top, or one with faux leopard skin to match my leathers.

Have you also noticed a trend with wearing the helmet on the back of the head with the scraps hangin' down? That's really cool. I wear mine like that because it's hard to talk on the mobile while riding, with a helmet always gettin' in the way.

Does anybody know if there's a shop that can lengthen a Ducati single-sided swingarm?

------------------
-Paul
You're slow, and your mother dresses you funny.

G
#8 ·
You know, with all this damnation of these helmets, I'm gonna see if I can cancel the order I have in for one. I don't want y'all laughing at me and calling me names.

------------------
Pete
"Ultimately, most problems can be solved by applying a large brick to the correct skull. Difficulties arise when you don't have a brick or can't find the the right skull. The Devil is always in the details."

#9 ·
Hmmm . . . I have not seen that trend around my area, yet.

Hopefully, it will just stay away. That is ridiculous.

Get a decent Shoei or Arai.

Keep the shiney side up!

------------------
GSX-R750 -- If speed kills, do brakes give life?

G
#10 ·
Got a $5 head, get a $5 helmet.

------------------
Pete
"Ultimately, most problems can be solved by applying a large brick to the correct skull. Difficulties arise when you don't have a brick or can't find the the right skull. The Devil is always in the details."

#11 ·
All right already,

So I bought a little beanie cap "for novelty use only" shiny black helmet. So sue me. I bought it in Daytona at bike week to ride on the beach. It was OK on the beach but kinda scary on the real raods. We wore them on the highway from Daytona to Orlando. The thing kept trying to pull itself lose from my cranium, real pain in the but. Wind noise at highway speeds, now that will cause permanent damage. So the thing is sitting on a shelf in my tool room collecting dust.

The Verdict: unless you're going to the beach keep your $12.

------------------
'99 GSX-R 750
Yes Officer I know how fast I was going....

#12 ·
Yeah, those things are stupid-looking to me, but who the hell cares what I think? :rolleyes:

Just be careful if you wear one. Like swdunn said, they'll pull off your head if you aren't careful. I had a girlfriend wearing one once (don't know why, her hubby has a sportbike) but she was telling me it pulled off the back of her head and then proceeded to strangle her with the strap for the 30 minute highway ride she and her husband were on and she was too scared to let go of her husband to fix it! :eek:

PAUL, I think you'd look pretty cute on the vespa in one of those dish helmets with swedish viking horns coming out either side and with a big, curly moustache! :p

------------------
Stacia
Co-Admin
'00 CBR F4 (the faster, silver/red model)
"Objects in mirror no longer matter!"

#14 ·
I think there should be a new trend, Im gonna say football helmets. You know how cool you would look if you were cruisin with a Bengals' kicker helmet. Sweet...wasssaabeeeeee.

Trevor

------------------

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.