Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
love the looks! goes with my helmet perfect just want a jacket that won't make me hot as a dog in 90 degree weather.

thanks for any input all

·
Registered
36 Posts
... the only effective jackets I have experienced for hot summer riding has be MESH !
... vents just ain't enough when the temps start creeping above 80 degrees

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what about gloves?

my gloves now are super protective but are hot as hell.

any recommendations?

·
Registered
33 Posts
{... the only effective jackets I have experienced for hot summer riding has be MESH !
... vents just ain't enough when the temps start creeping above 80 degrees}

what are your guys opinions on mesh.im lookin into a jacket aslo.was lookin at alpinstars but i guess somthin cheaper would fit better into my budget.the one i was lookin at was 600 somthin but anyway i go to school in FL were its over 80 damn near year long and when i come hom eits in the summer so will realy only be riding in summer weather.but want somthin i kno will protect me when i go down.what is your take on mesh.i know not as good as leather.but any info would help

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Leather is not that hot when you are moving, it gets a little stuffy when sitting in traffic. I am sure the mesh keeps the skin cooler while riding around, but I would be willing to bet on that same hot day, the leather will keep your skin a lot cooler if you happen to be sliding down the road......there is no substitute for good ol leather!!!!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Not a good choice in real hot weather.

Even similar designed jackets that are perforated in the front and rear have ventillation problems in the summer. If you are buying only one jacket, I'd recommend one that has the fabric panels on the arms, maybe on the sides, with perforation on the front panels and exhaust perforation at the top of the back (just under the neck), and at the rear of each shoulder if available. Wear your rain jacket over it when it gets cold.

If you are buying a dedicated summer use jacket you might want to try the Joe Rocket Phoenix. I and many others here own this jacket, and you can't beat the ventilation versus protection on this jacket. And the price is not real high. :2cents:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
UglyAngelX said:
Leather is not that hot when you are moving, it gets a little stuffy when sitting in traffic. I am sure the mesh keeps the skin cooler while riding around, but I would be willing to bet on that same hot day, the leather will keep your skin a lot cooler if you happen to be sliding down the road......there is no substitute for good ol leather!!!!
I don't necessarily agree with you on this one as far as the "keeping your skin a lot cooler if you happen to be sliding down the road". I am a firm believer that the ballistic mesh nylon will protect you just as well as leather. Now, keep sliding the same mesh jacket down the road and it's going to wear out.

MHO

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Slip-On Rapist said:
I don't necessarily agree with you on this one as far as the "keeping your skin a lot cooler if you happen to be sliding down the road". I am a firm believer that the ballistic mesh nylon will protect you just as well as leather. Now, keep sliding the same mesh jacket down the road and it's going to wear out.

MHO
Seen Ballistic mesh get tore the fawk up in a few low speed get offs.....JMO (just my observation)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I love my mesh jacket this time of year, I know its not as protective as leather but they still do a damn good job.

Just like I love my fiero, but I know its a bit more dangerous in an accident than my hooptie caprice :twofinger

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I bought one of the Phoenix jackets after reading two different accounts from people who crashed wearing it. They both said the jacket did not tear and it provided exemplary protection for how light it was. One guy was an old gummer who was run off the road on a turn and went down a gully and into a tree. He had no major injuries and no abrasions thru the jacket.

·
Registered
169 Posts
i have a cortech jacket (its mesh w/ the pads built in) I rode last summer and i couldnt even imagine wearin that leather jacket down here in FL...i mean the mesh cortech was HOT when sitting still...when you get going the wind goes right through it though and its like not wearing a jacket at all

im sure it's not as good as wearing leather, but i mean i think that cbr is your first bike, you shouldn't be riding it around like your competing for the MOTOGP championship

just realize that if you get a mesh or leather jacket, you will probably sweat in both..(sometimes i didnt want to wear the mesh last summer cause it gets so hot in FL)...also, when the temp does get down to like 60 degrees, riding w/ the mesh is COLD if you doin about 80mph on the interstate

i know my cortech jacket was only around 200bux, think about maybe gettin one that you can put a liner in then you could use that one jacket all year long, i'd look into an alpinestar that you could put a liner in

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Perforated leather is tolerable in the heat and leather offers the best protection that I know of. That being said, any gear is better than no gear. A lot of textiles are "one time use" things, usually damaged beyond serviceable in an accident, ESPECIALLY the mesh stuff. But if it does the job once, I guess that's all it has to do. One important thing is to be sure it fits fairly snug so that the armor and such doesn't just get pulled out of place if you have the misfortune of testing it. I've seen many in textiles that don't seem to fit properly, too loose. Most textiles will certainly help at lower speeds. The faster you go, the more the need for leather from an abrasion standpoint. Maybe a mesh for those times when you KNOW you'll be going slow, just a putt to the local bike night or something, then a leather for real riding. The mesh's are fairly inexpensive so if you find the leather to be just TOO hot, it's a better than nothing alternative.

For what it's worth, I could count on one hand the number of times I go out in a year with less than FULL leather on. My statistics are also worth noting if weighing this subject/opinion. I haven't had a bike down of my own doing since the mid seventies, ride about 20,000 miles a year, so statistically am in very little need of that stuff. BUT... it's the same experience that all of that riding has afforded me that says: 1) It can happen at any time to the best rider and 2) It's ugly what can happen in even a low speed get-off. That's why I always wear the stuff. I'd feel AWFUL stupid if I was rashed up in a pair of jeans with a perfectly good set of leather pants hanging on the hook at home. And to complete the story, you'll note that I said "... down of my own doing", which is the truth. The last time down, for those who say they're going to be taking it easy, was at ZERO MPH. Yeah, I got rear ended at a red light in the early eighties. I was stopped but got launched over the car that hit me, landing behind it, without so much as a scratch, due to gear. The bike was messed up, so was the car that hit it, but I wasn't. Shit can happen and if you do it long enough, it will. Because you don't schedule or plan accidents, ALWAYS wear proper gear. It's cheap insurance.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
UglyAngelX said:
Seen Ballistic mesh get tore the fawk up in a few low speed get offs.....JMO (just my observation)
I guess it all depends. I have a ballistic mesh nylon jacket from '1st Gear' and when I highsided mine and was sliding and rolling on the pavement, I got up and afterwards I inspected the jacket and - no freaking joke - not one single scratch on the som'bitch.

Guess it depends on brand and type of accident. I'd much rather not crash at all then find out the answer to this. LOLOL

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have a partially perforated leather jacket, just the portion around my chest + upper back has perforation. Works pretty well while moving, but I start sweating instantly when coming to a stop. Ventilation in sleeves would be a great improvement, though it really is not so bad when moving.

I've looked at the mesh jackets, and I am more impressed with FirstGear version, rather than Joe Rocket. FG seems tighter, therefore [I presume] less prone to snag while sliding on the pavement. Joe Rocket Phoenix seems rather baggy, and armor can shift easily. I think I also have read comparisons where people favored FG over JR. The comparison I mentioned was not at www.motorcyclegearreview.com site, but you can look anyway and get a pretty good idea about strengths and weaknesses of either jacket.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have the Perforated Blaster jacket. I can ride up to 100 degrees in it. The only time it gets a little stuffy is when it is in the 90's and you are stuck in traffic for a while. Even if i'm only going 5 mph it breathes really well. Thankfully I haven't had to test its protection out, but it feels comparable to most jackets I've ever tried on in quality and armor.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Your only jacket?

gs500f, is this going to be your only bike jacket? If not, what else do you have?
:huh:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought a nylon mesh Joe Rocket Rio Jacket and am quite pleased with it. Here in the South it gets really hot and humid, making leather in the summer unbearable to wear. The Rio jacket has padding in the elbows, forearms, shoulders and back.
It keeps me cool. But, it would probably get torn up in a wreck, making it a one use type of jacket. I hope I am wrong about that, and I certainly don't won't to find out the hard way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts