Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about 6'2"-3" but I'm a big guy. I weigh like 260 lbs. Is there a too big for a sport bike? I'm just getting into them and I want to know if I should just forget about it..

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Just getting into them you should forget about any current 4-banger race rep (600, 1000). A Ninja 500 will hustle you around just fine, and combined with the MSF and some gear, might help you live long enough to enjoy a Supersport.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
A friend of mine is around 320-340lbs and he rode a 600 for a while

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
You're roughly the same size I am. I've ridden some 600's and and 1100 just fine. Hell even a Buell Blast can make my fat ass out-accelerate most cars on the road.

Short answer: No, you're not too big.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Just to throw this out there, my 600 has a seat height of 32.5 inches and my 999 is at 30.5 inches. When I put them side-by-side, the 600 is noticeable bigger in physical size (though the wheelbase is shorter by 20mm). The 999 is heavier, though it doesn't necessarily feel it. So "bigger" isn't necessarily bigger if you get my drift.

You're not that heavy compared to some of the people I've seen on smaller-displacement bikes. Ergonomically, the SV (or similar) would probably be more comfortable than a supersport anyways. Don't rule out the GS-500F either. It's not as potent as other bikes, but awesome to learn on.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
I'm about 6'2"-3" but I'm a big guy. I weigh like 260 lbs. Is there a too big for a sport bike? I'm just getting into them and I want to know if I should just forget about it..
Height-wise, yeah, you'll be a bit more cramped, but nothing that a lot of other big riders haven't been able to get used to.

Weight-wise, Mrs Tree and I used to go two-up on her 250 when we first started riding. That little 40hp bike was able to push our combined 300lbs to a respectable 95mph, so you should be able to jump on a 500 and have a load of fun.

Don't fall into the trap that many newbie's do and start thinking you'll get bored with a smaller cc bike. Take the advice of people who've been there and start small, learn how to ride the socks off it, then upgrade. Those who start too big are always trying to "keep up" wth their bike, limiting their learning curve.

Welcome to SBW and welcome to motorcycling! :thumbs2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in no hurry to jump onto an R1, lol.

I'm ready to start small and learn, then upgrade.

What are some cheap bikes that would be good for learning?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Cheap is a relative term. In the world of new bikes, $6000, is "cheap" and some great beginner bikes would be a Suzuki SV-650 or Kawasaki Ninja 650R. For $5000 you can get a new Ninja 500R.

Cheap in the used market it a lot, well, cheaper. $2000-$3000 will get you a mint condition Ninja 500R, or Honda CBR 600 F2/F3. $3000-$3500 gets an SV-650.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use to own a 600 and i am your weight; I had no problems at all.:) I would suggest something of this size for you though. With your weight I don't think you will be satisfied with a bike that doesn't make enough power to push you around without felling like your pulling something. I got rid of the 600 because I think I adjusted after only a month or two and just felt like the bike was to slow. But, then again all the guys I was running with were on big bikes so I think it depends on your situation in order to figure out what kind of bike you should get. Please stay around 600 though, because even though I think the 5s' are going to be too small I would rather you live than jump on a 7class or higher because you got a good deal and ended up splattered somewhere due to inexperience. All up to you, but thats my input if it helps at all. P.S. I think the gsxrs' are the most comfortable bike, but you may like the kawasaki cuz im pretty sure they sit higher.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
...I got rid of the 600 because I think I adjusted after only a month or two and just felt like the bike was to slow. But, then again all the guys I was running with were on big bikes so I think it depends on your situation in order to figure out what kind of bike you should get...
This is exactly what I was talking about. :squid:

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
wtf is this squiddly shit?
I want to get rid of my 600 and upgrade to a turbo'd ZX-14. Do you think that'll be fast enough? I'm tired of my friends being faster.

< / sarcasm >

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Time for the CBRZXGSXR8000RR Turbo. The ultimate squid machine. Now with a new, dark red powerband, and maintanence free muffler bearings.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Yes, but dark red powerbands are quicker, for real world situations. Its all about torque.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
What about the gold "bling" powerbands? I heard they make wheelies a cinch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay. I really want a cheap used bike, because I know i'll put it down at least once. Where can I look to find a bike cheap? I'm thinking bout buying a bike thats already been put down, as long as it runs well.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Local newspaper listings. Ebay (for bikes located close enough to you to be viable). Bike-specific forums, like CBR Forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what is realistic for a price? remember, i'm not looking for a brand new nice bike, just something that runs well, so i can learn.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts