Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if there was a reason that a ruptured spleen is such a common injury in motorcycle accidents. Isn't that thing fairly well protected? I mean a broken collar bone is pretty much a given if you land on your head or shoulder but how do you hit your spleen on something?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Busted Spleen

Hey,

I'm a flight medic, no doc! Spleens are commonly ruptured simply because of the force involved in the accidents. I don't wanna get too technical...here goes.

Deceleration injuries (it's not the fall, it's the sudden stop at the bottom that kills you) cause the organ (ie: the spleen) to get shaken around, banging into to the ribs (which may/may not be broken), and causing cuts or lacerations in the organ itself. You can also damage the ligaments holding the organ in place. The forces involved in a bad get-off can also squish the spleen to the point where it bursts (think of slowly stepping on a tomato).

The location of the spleen (upper left quadrant of your belly, just under the ribs) makes it a bit of an easy target (so to speak anyway).

Luckily, you can live w/o your spleen. Hope this answers your question.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Re: Busted Spleen

daved said:

You can also damage the ligaments holding the organ in place. The forces involved in a bad get-off can also squish the spleen to the point where it bursts (think of slowly stepping on a tomato).

:eek:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: Busted Spleen

daved said:
Hey,

I'm a flight medic, no doc! Spleens are commonly ruptured simply because of the force involved in the accidents. I don't wanna get too technical...here goes.

Wow! You're a flight medic and you still ride a sportbike? Have you ever treated a motorcycle crash victim and, if so, didn't it scare the hell out of you?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Re: Scared

Yes, I've treated several bike accident victims...couple bad ones.
I think seeing what can happen has just given me a healthier respect for what my bike can do, and what can happen if I push it too far. Or ride like a squid. Or ride drunk. Or stuff like that.:rolleyes:

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Re: Re: Scared

daved said:
I think seeing what can happen has just given me a healthier respect for what my bike can do, and what can happen if I push it too far. Or ride like a squid. Or ride drunk. Or stuff like that.:rolleyes:
I'm an EMT, I agree totally with the above statement. Only bike accident I have worked on was a high side at low speeds. Guy had a sore hip, but that was about it. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Re: Re: Scared

daved said:
Yes, I've treated several bike accident victims...couple bad ones.

I totally agree. Though I'm not in the medical field, I did grow up at the racetrack and I've seen too many injuries/fatalities to not have a firm understanding of the reprecussions. I think that all riders should have to spend a couple nights riding w/ local EMT, responding to crashes and seeing what the human body looks like when it's been through a major trauma...probably wouldn't have so many squids on the road if they know what the reprecussions are.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts