Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok so i just got my first car (18) and will be a waiter soon so ill be raking in decent money. ive wanted a bike since i was about 14 or 15 and have been getting the mags and browsin the forums and have a fairly good range of knowlegde on the subject considering i dont have a past in the sport.

continueing to the point, i have a good friend who has access to many types of vehicles and bikes (dad is a car auction dealer for exotics) and so i ask him for a cheap bike, preferably a 600, allowing for light to moderate cosmetic damage (considering ill probably drop it and i dont care what it looks like to much), i dont mind if its old but the most important factors are that it must be in good running condition and cheap.

so my reply is a '93 (thats pretty damn old) honda (good company for old bikes) cbr 600 f2(right size) that is yellow and black (right colors) with a brand new transmission and tires.

now my question is, keeping in mind that hes a good friend and will certainly give me one hell of a deal, what should be a reasonable offer...btw i will be checking it out in the near future.

i was thinking around 2000 considering kelly blue book value says 2900.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Definatly wouldn't pay more than 2 grand for something so old. You might try to found out some background aswell when looking for used bikes. forinstance, why did it need a new transmission?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya i know its old as hell but its in goood condition. i went to school with this kid since second grade and i know he takes good care of his stuff and even better care of his friends so i dont imagine he would sell me a lemon or something not worth the money. i should prolly try and get it down to 1500 but i think it has alot of aftermarket parts (i have yet to see it in person) so idk how much of a determining factor that is. how much does a new transmission cost on a bike like that? if it costs 500 dollars then obviously the price of the bike will be steeper.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Having to put in a new tranny doesn't raise the value of the bike. IF anything it should lower it. All that means is the bike had the crap ridden out of it and needed a new one. Wear and tear. How many miles are on it?

·
Registered
980 Posts
I thought the bike was from an auction? You cant be sure how it was maintained by its previous owner. Another tip, depending on your state, like in NY - NEVER BUY A SALVAGE TITLE its a real pain in the ass (in NY) to get it retitled to a working title.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I agree with psudy along with what slick says for I note this line of yours being "--(dad is a car auction dealer for exotics)--" which sounds more like his dad looked around for a cheap 600.

Lot of bikes in their early 80s & simply no cog box ("tranny" in your words) problems & you will probably find much older bikes that still have NOT had said problems as they were not trashed by the prior owners.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts