Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering because of my previous thread 'piss drunk roommate drops my bike'.

Everyone told me to have it restored to 'new' condition and avoid a repaint - Does this mean I can simply have the plastics ordered in their original state from a dealership (Are they molded in color, then have to add the decals)??? I am kind of lost on this. Should I order from Honda, or are aftermarket parts just as good. Or should I just have the scratches repainted. One of the gouges is really deep on the rear plastic - Do people that repair plastics have a filler they use for these deep imperfections, or do you pretty much just have to get a new piece. I have pretty good knowledge on how the process works on the automotive side, but as far as bikes and plastics go, I am pretty green.

Anyway, I hope his insurance covers it so I can have it done the right way. I will never get all that money out of him if it doesn't.

I am sure there are tons of people in here that have had to put new plastics on - let me know the process and if I can simply order them in color from Honda - My bike is a 1997 f3 -

·
Registered
236 Posts
do it yourself, sort of

Hey,
Go to www.powersportspro.com and go to the "PartsFish", login and starting shopping.
If you run into confusion over which part numbers are for your color bike, give them a call.
I have ordered a bunch of stuff through them, they have been good to work with.:cool:

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
don't do it yourself!

Got to disagree with Cliffrock on this one. That other a**hole caused the damage, it's his (or his insurance company's) responsibility to fix it. Personally, I would settle for nothing less than OEM replacement parts.

My .02

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: do it yourself, sort of

Cliffrock said:
Hey,
Go to www.powersportspro.com and go to the "PartsFish", login and starting shopping.
If you run into confusion over which part numbers are for your color bike, give them a call.
I have ordered a bunch of stuff through them, they have been good to work with.:cool:
Man, that shit is not cheap. It says it is Honda OEM replacement which is cool. I noticed that their is three types of cowls and other body parts (obviously the color scheme of the bike) - Do you know if the decals come already applied to the parts - that would be great. - My roommate has no idea how much these things cost - he is def. going to shit. - maybe he will learn not to push a bike around when he is piss drunk. - He better do a little lying to the insurance company. - The OEM parts are close to 700 dollars.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I know there is a company, Maybe Ron Ayres motorsports??

that sells factory plastic much cheaper than the shop

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you get OEM plastic it will come painted and with decals.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
OEM Bodywork

The bodywork is molded plastic in in black, then painted. If you go through insurance to get them fixed, there are a few things you can do: 1) have them arrange to replace exactly what was messed up 2) have them cut you a check in the amount of the exact replacement and then find a better deal on OEM stuff. 3) have them cut you a check in the amount of an exact replacement and then use the $$$ to buy different stuff. I'm not sure, but some aftermarket stuff may be cheaper than OEM.

Personally, I wouldn't have it repainted. It's a pain in the ass, expensive, and then you've got chipping and scratching to deal with, like the front of a car. Also, you'd probably want to have everything repainted, not just the one side, b/c exact matching is so difficult. I wouldn't repaint unless I were going for a custom paint job.

-Erica

(honda nut, you're right. I was wrong about what color the plastics are. I've edited in the correct info. Thanks)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Oh, Oh, oh.

By ALL MEANS, HOLD THEM RESPONSIBLE. Don't let anyone weasle their way out of this, that is TOTAL crap:angry: :angry:

I was saying if your ex-friend was gonna buy you some parts, then go get them.

But F that guy, make him pay, sheez, kick it around and get it totaled!! and then pin it on him, he was drunk what hell does he know!:eek:

·
Registered
236 Posts
We need an update

So what is the status your situation????

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have purchase from Ron Ayers Motorsports in Greenville, NC. They are reputable but by no means the cheapest in my experience. I have purchase plastic from Western Honda in Phonenix. Thier prices are among the best I have found with free shipping for orders over $400.

I had a guy back into my VFR and made him replace ever thing that was cracked. That was a big mistake. My rear faring had some very light scratches that became cranks about 2 years and 30,000 miles later. This mistake cost me another $400. I tried everthing but plastic welding to fix the parts. My brake lever was bent and I bent it back. Three years later it snapped off in my hand in a parking lot in Ashville. I was returning from Deals Gap. think what would have happened had it broken going into a turn hot at the Gap.

Rick
NCVFR

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: We need an update

Cliffrock said:
So what is the status your situation????
Well, he called me today and apologized, and told me he would fix it and give me the two checks he is getting at the end of the month. Problem is, he probably thinks it is going to cost a couple hundred dollars, and it will more than likely cost around 500. I the scratches and paint chips are not that bad, but it is the thought that it was flawless before, and don't think I should have to have them repainted to make it cheaper on him, when I have to run the risk of color matching and durability problems. Sound right?

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Re: Re: We need an update

mgering said:
it was flawless before, and don't think I should have to have them repainted to make it cheaper on him, when I have to run the risk of color matching and durability problems. Sound right?
Stop feeling sympathetic towards this guy. I hope you did the police report thing. Your earlier post made him sound like a real a**hole. If this is really the case, take him down to the nearest Honda dealer, get a quote, and tell him to write a check/ charge it/ whatever. If he gives you any sh*t, call his insurance company. If he is still giving you problems, kneecap him.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Re: Re: Re: We need an update

Stake said:

Stop feeling sympathetic towards this guy. I hope you did the police report thing. Your earlier post made him sound like a real a**hole. If this is really the case, take him down to the nearest Honda dealer, get a quote, and tell him to write a check/ charge it/ whatever. If he gives you any sh*t, call his insurance company. If he is still giving you problems, kneecap him.

I gotta agree with that. He is a big boy and should know he is responsible for his actions. Tough world.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts