Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure most of you have read the bit about the R-1 that failed after 10 miles & how a bulletin has been sent out to the dealers to have the engine broken in at the shop which sets one to thinking.

Still below is a bit I picked up from another board & of interest.

"Well... the saga seems to continue. At our track day yesterday, we chatted with a fellow racer who is also a sales manager at a local Yamaha dealer. He had an '04 R1 with a fresh race motor in it and he was breaking it in. It only had 8 miles and dropped a valve.

He wasn't too worried because he knew his motor guy would rectify the problem, but went on to say that they have had 3 new R1's come into the dealership and have the same problem... all three had VERY low miles on them and had valve train problems... which resulted in larger motor problems.

Buyer beware, that's all."

Still makes things rather interesting & wondering how many are with '04 R1s & wondering what that strange sound is & wheeling the bike in to the Yamaha shop demanding IMMEDIATE attention.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I hadn't heard about this until now. I hope there's nothing major wrong with the bike. Either way, you know this is going to be a black eye for yamaha:(

·
Registered
169 Posts
that bike is ugly as hell anyway...:p

but seriously, the honda's look okay w/ the pipe under the tail, but i think the new R1 design is a disaster...and i like the way previous R1's looked

it's just ugly...

I can't imagine droppin 10k on a bike that breaks in less than 10 miles! talk about some seriously pissed off customers

·
Registered
312 Posts
FMAN_DTF said:
but i think the new R1 design is a disaster...and i like the way previous R1's looked

it's just ugly...

I do believe you are the voice of a very tiny minority.

The jury is still out on this one, IMO. A race engine going TU is different than a production engine, so that data point is useless. And most other R1 owners seem happy.

·
Registered
460 Posts
FMAN_DTF said:
that bike is ugly as hell anyway...:p

but seriously, the honda's look okay w/ the pipe under the tail, but i think the new R1 design is a disaster...and i like the way previous R1's looked

it's just ugly...

Are you kidding LMAO. Man I saw the new 04 R1 in person and rode with the guy for about 25 miles or so. That bike is freggin hot. The single under tail exhust on the honda's is not to my likeing at all.

I hope they get there engine thing sorted out. I have also heard something about the engine mounts coming out or something. Its such a nice bike though.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
I haven't seen anything but pictures of the 04's and they look good, but I thought the same of the 03's when I saw pictures. When I saw an 03 R1 in person it looked like shit. It just looked cheap to me. I hope the 04's aren't in the same boat.

Good thing I'm not ready to buy a new bike just yet, as I have been looking at the R's.....probably end up looking more at the 6's though. I'd have been pissed if I got a new R1 and it crapped out on me with under double-digit miles. I guess I'd deserve it for not getting another Honda......:twofinger

·
Registered
54 Posts
I heard, and keep in mind it's "HEAR SAY", that there was a recall but did not hear for what reason, something about shipping bike's to one place and corresponding title's to another! Sounded like bull, but then my friend who put his money down at strictly a YAMAHA dealership in february is still waitin' for a bike, IT'S FREAKIN' MAY IN A WEEK FOR GOD SAKE'S !! So maybe there is some validity in that statement, and keepin' it on the D.L. That isn't something you want to get around, engine trouble like that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts